Home Q & A Forum
Options

Identity of this medal please?

DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone have an idea of the identity of this medal. Maybe the era. Is it even a US medal? Any help would be great!!
Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has no markings at all?

It has 13 stars - that could correspond to the 13 original colonies, but I don't recognize any other symbolism normally associated with the USA.

• Options

No markings at all...

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options

Yes I noticed the 13 stars and the red, white and blue colors. But I cant find any thing on it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

U.S Legion of Merit

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

WW2 Legion of Merit Medal ?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2 beat me to it. :)

• Options

Thanks you guys are good!!

It's mixed in with some stuff I am bidding on and I couldn't identify it.

Thanks for you time

DiggerJim

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Anyone have an idea of the identity of this medal. Maybe the era. Is it even a US medal? Any help would be great!!
    Thanks

DiggerJim

The Legion of Merit (LOM) is still an active award and is presented to members of the US and Allied armed forces. The LOM is the fifth highest award: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal and the Silver Star precede the LOM.

For it to be found in the wild, then more than likely, the awardee has passed and the heirs sold/gave it away or it was stolen.

Is the reverse inscribed with the service member’s name?

An inscription is not a requirement to present the medal but some unit’s or the awardee has it done.

• Options

This picture is all I have. It is part of a group of military medals, buttons, buckles and such that I am bidding on. A day or so and I’ll let you know if I’m the proud owner. 🤞

DiggerJim

• Options

I would hope it’s not stolen. If it has a name on the back it can be tracked that could tell the story.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad to say but often times heirs have no interest in (or room for) what most of us would consider family heirlooms. This can happen especially when the original owner had no direct heirs and their property passed to a distant relative.

The next best thing is for a new, unrelated owner to preserve and appreciate it as a tribute to the service and sacrifice it represents.

• Options

@JBK
    Very well put. I can see how the heroic actions of an individual can easily be swept aside or totally ignored or forgotten in today’s world. Well I think I need to aggressively bid this auction (if need be because right now this lot isn’t going anywhere fast) to see what’s behind that medal. If I have a name I will post back on this thread and maybe we can discuss the best course of action.

DiggerJim

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out emedals.com where there are a bazillion military medals including LOM. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall