Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tobacco card show and tell

Vintage Tobacco rarely comes up for discussion on these boards. But I know some of you are fans. Share some of your favorites here.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

Comments

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

• Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

The T206 Speaker just screams classic baseball card to me. The cap, the split-hand grip, the bright-blue background. And Cobb has a more famous photo sliding into third, but this one ain't so bad either.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

This isn’t mine, I have always wanted a nice copy of this card. I use this one only as an example of how the purple background makes this card look so cool.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:

Beautiful cards Anthony, but I am especially partial to those sweet T218s. You are a big part of why I have my set, and I still appreciate all the help you gave me. Thanks

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I have one that was a raw gift from Trent (nightcrawler). Weird story with this card. Trent searched for years before he finally found a copy that was not signed by Alfred Harris. Apparently ole Alfred was a Roberts collector that wanted a personal touch on all his cards lol

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

• Options

I got spanked on T206 PWCC auctions tonight. Anyone noticing that T206 are selling for prices 1-2 grades higher of VCP average?
    It's getting out of control and I have no answers for it.

• Options

All great tobacco cards. Dummy Taylor had a hearing impairment, I had recently learned about this fact. Amazing stories with all of these players which make the tobacco era so unique and represents so much more than just a card.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2019 5:33AM

Obviously terrible condition, but PSA has only slabbed two Uncle Jack's Foxx cards, and this is the only red version.

I also completed a T206 basic (front run) Providence Grays team set.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I've posted this one before, but I love it. It looks like Ted Williams being chased by a tsunami in an episode of Speed Racer.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

@lawnmowerman said:
    I have one that was a raw gift from Trent (nightcrawler). Weird story with this card. Trent searched for years before he finally found a copy that was not signed by Alfred Harris. Apparently ole Alfred was a Roberts collector that wanted a personal touch on all his cards lol

I’m partial to hockey since I grew up playing it. The C56 is my favorite pre war set. Cool story about Alfred signing his name on Roberts cards. Reminds me of the old T206 collectors who stamped their card backs with their initials.

What happened to Trent, Nightcrawler? A lot of guys disappeared during the time I was away.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Great thread!
    T206. Arguably the most popular baseball card series in existence. Tobacco era launched the cardboard collecting craze 110 years ago.

Portrait or the "action" variations? Portraits are a work of art IMO

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Decided recently to get some vintage Indians......here is what I have so far as far as tobacco cards.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

I began the HOF journey in 2009

• Options

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow guys, lots of eye candy in this thread!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anthony with a K-Bat, Square Frame, and the nicest T set ever produced. Nicely done!

My two favorite:

Arthur

• Options
    edited April 10, 2019 11:28AM

Emar that is quite the lineup. Please let me know if money talks for any of those portraits you've got.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@akuracy503 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

I’m partial to hockey since I grew up playing it. The C56 is my favorite pre war set. Cool story about Alfred signing his name on Roberts cards. Reminds me of the old T206 collectors who stamped their card backs with their initials.

What happened to Trent, Nightcrawler? A lot of guys disappeared during the time I was away.

I'm not exactly sure what led to his banning. I was gone shortly after so I never thought about asking him. We are still friends on Facebook which is pretty much our only contact

• Options

@akuracy503 said:
    Emar that is quite the lineup. Please let me know if money talks for any of those portraits you've got.

Appreciate the compliment; officially off the market tho.
    It's amazing how the market has treated the set superstars over the past 7-8 years.
    I consider myself a collector vs investor. Although, the appreciation value has been nice

• Options

It is indeed amazing. A good time to enjoy what you've got. Tough time to be a collector since the prices are still soaring.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of these cards are beautiful. Don't feel bad, I get slapped around every time I enter a PWCC auction. I always have a black eye after a PWCC auction.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite "card stories."

In 1992, I asked Greg Bussineau (believe he was Superior Sports Card back then?) for nice example of a T206 and 33G.

I paid 95 bucks for the 2.

I was happy with the T206 and put it away.

Fast forward to 1998 and George Davis goes into the HOF! What a break. I subbed it to PSA around 2004 or so.

Mike
  • Options

Mike,
    A gorgeous card with brilliant colors.
    Prompted me to lookup Mr Davis. A classy, solid player in a gentlemen's game.
    The healthy 84 career WAR and nine consecutive .300+ seasons certainly earned him his spot in the hall. Kudos to the '98 committee.

Love the history of baseball!
    I believe I will add to my wishlist. B)
    Erick

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Visually pleasing card to say the least Mike. Even looks better than the given grade. If you ever make a pile of cards to have reviewed, be sure to add that one.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    One of my favorite "card stories."

In 1992, I asked Greg Bussineau (believe he was Superior Sports Card back then?) for nice example of a T206 and 33G.

I paid 95 bucks for the 2.

I was happy with the T206 and put it away.

Fast forward to 1998 and George Davis goes into the HOF! What a break. I subbed it to PSA around 2004 or so.

That card is so clean, you could eat a meal on it! Best looking T206 I have seen in some time.