Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 5 Centavos | Under the Green Goo

randalegibbonsrandalegibbons Posts: 49
edited April 7, 2019 1:36AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've had these two 1944 5 Centavos in holders that I have dreaded opening. They were swimming in the darkest green goo I've seen. You couldn't tell what the coin was.
After soaking in acetone for a few hours I found these.
Imagine my surprise. There is much more color on them than what you see here.
Just wanted to share them.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if they came out OK, have any before pics ?

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2019 10:11AM

Nice job, note how the acetone has turned to surface BLUE. According to some folks these coins were BLUE TO BEGIN WITH. LOL!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was much younger, these five centavo coins were exceedingly common in extremely nice condition.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Nice job, note how the acetone has turned to surface BLUE. According to some folks these coins were BLUE TO BEGIN WITH. LOL!

I remember reading some chemical analysis notes that indicate copper reacts photochemically with acetone and water vapor to form acetic acid, which then reacts with copper to form copper acetate that creates blue film. The findings from that research seem to indicate that presence of light and length of submersion play a significant role.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a nice high grade set of Indian head cents years ago in one of those old Harco albums. Everyone of them was dripping with drops of green PVC. Everyone of them were original blue also as once the green goo was removed with acetone they were all a lustrous blue-violet color!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone of them were original blue...

Wait, what?

• Options

@OldEastside said:
    Looks as if they came out OK, have any before pics ?

Steve

I wish I had taken some. I wasn't expecting a favorable outcome.