Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identification Help Please: Gordian III Denarius

numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2019 6:40PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A local customer bought the coin below on eBay and he brought it to me to get my opinion. The seller is based in Cyprus and mentioned in the listing that the coin is "uncertain", whatever that means.

I told the customer that it looked fake and suggested that he could send it to NGC for authentication. However, he does not want to through $30 at a coin that is worth about that amount if genuine, and I agree. I know little about ancient coins.

Please let me know your thoughts based on the photos. The coin is much whiter in color "in hand". It weighs 2.20 grams with a diameter of 19.5 mm. I do not like the doubled profile, which I have never seen on a Roman denarius, and the weight seems light. Also, the style of engraving seems off to me.

Please share your opinions here. Thank you, Dennis

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is a denarius of Gordian III and the coin is real. He's extremely common. And the coin is not worth slabbing, it's worth about $20 in that condition.

The weight is ok, they are usually all over the place by the time he was in power, so nothing to worry about.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a rather typical looking piece for that emperor. Very common and, has been said, not worth slabbing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

I believe the doubling on the portrait is due to die fatigue. I have seen it on other coins of this and other issues.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections