Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Congratulations to sharp-eyed buyers! at Kagin's ANA Auction this past weekend

Buried in between Kagin's auction sale of mostly US coins and currency, were some rare Palestine and Israel lots that sold for way below estimates.

Here are two examples of rare gold Israel gold medals; mintages of 654 and 1493 respectively, both nearly an ounce in gold.
The cataloger neglected to describe the weight :(
Each sold for $504 including BP!

https://www.icollector.com/Israel-1974-Signed-Arthur-Rubinstein-Piano-Master-Competition-Gold-Meda_i32826522
https://www.icollector.com/Israel-1980-Arthur-Rubinstein-Piano-Master-Competition-Gold-Medal_i32826524

And to the chagrin of any knowledgeable seller, the Palestine Mandate Currency notes, many rare, and in top quality mostly sold for less than half of their estimates! Makes you wonder why the consignor would choose this venue.
https://www.icollector.com/Kagin-s-March-2019-National-Money-Show-Auction_as57209?ps=50

Even in today's market there are bargains to be had.

Comments

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a gold medal at half melt in a HA weekly internet sale a few years back.

Agreed, poor cataloging is most likely the cause.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consignors beware. You really need to target your consignments to whomever has the "right" buyers with money! This is critical if you have thin market, specialty collection items to sell.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, can't believe the gold sold for so little !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom - living in Israel I can tell you that the collector base here is thin, with little appreciation of quality. If you are optimistic about the future of Israel/Palestine coin collecting then its a great time to buy. I don't recall a lower point for Israeli material.

• Options

@Zohar said:
    @atom - living in Israel I can tell you that the collector base here is thin, with little appreciation of quality. If you are optimistic about the future of Israel/Palestine coin collecting then its a great time to buy. I don't recall a lower point for Israeli material.

I couldn't agree with you more. Israel & Palestine numismatic material has been underrated for a while, but time will prevail, and these elusive and historically rich collectibles will eventually be recognized for its scarcity and value.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't agree with you more. Israel & Palestine numismatic material has been underrated for a while, but time will prevail, and these elusive and historically rich collectibles will eventually be recognized for its scarcity and value.

Shh.... I have been quietly buying in anticipation for that as well :)

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

You haven’t been that quiet!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

You haven’t been that quiet!

You are right, Zohar hasn’t been that quiet

But I have been :)

• Options
    berylberyl Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Sorry for a question that is not completely on topic - but do the color variations in the one pound notes have any significance? Thanks.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such mistakes in cataloging and describing are how I ended up bidding and winning a bunch of Ethiopian and Austrian gold a few years ago in one of those US government forfeiture auctions. I paid about 60% of spot after fees etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:
    Such mistakes in cataloging and describing are how I ended up bidding and winning a bunch of Ethiopian and Austrian gold a few years ago in one of those US government forfeiture auctions. I paid about 60% of spot after fees etc.

Seller beware and Buyer Aware!!

• Options

@beryl said:

Sorry for a question that is not completely on topic - but do the color variations in the one pound notes have any significance? Thanks.

I would think the stronger colors would be more appealing, but honestly I’m not an expert on paper currency. I have learned that many notes have been cleaned or pressed to give them a more presentable appearance. So I’ve shyed away from Palestine notes in general.

• Options
    sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Wow! That’s amazing.. this happens mostly when the focus of buyers is mostly on a particular type of coins, or sometimes because the odd lots are not advertised much.. For example Todywalla Auctions, Imperial Auctions and Classical Numismatic Gallery are offering some stunning coins on 19th and 20th April in Mumbai, India. I am sure not many know about this... Check out >> https://www.mintageworld.com/auctions/