Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FS: MS64 Anti-Slavery Medal RR w/‘Glass-Like’ luster

CondersConders Posts: 46 ✭✭

The second Anti-Slavery medal I’m selling through Heritage is an RR variety, BHM-1672, which commemorates the Abolition of Slavery throughout the British Colonies in 1834. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-temp-william-iv-bronze-abolition-of-slavery-in-the-colonies-medal-1834-ms64-brown-ngc-/a/3073-33064.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=0|0
Above is a photo I took myself months ago that shows a hint of the underlying coloration. The Heritage photo in slab presents this as darker than the specimen truly is

On the obverse a newly emancipated man stands centered with arms extended. Broken shackles and chains dangle from his hands and lay at his feet. Rays of Glory shine down on him and his wife and his child. They are seated at the ground on either side of him. Above, LIBERTY PROCLAIMED TO THE CAPTIVES. Below, IN THE REIGN OF WILLIAM IV 1ST AUGT 1834.

The reverse features an excerpt from Isaiah-58:6

The medal is a very rare variety. The reverse is commonly seen paired with a different obverse. Like the last piece, this is struck in bronze and remains in a rather exquisite state of preservation. It is unlisted in Eimer and I’ve not seen another in bronze nor in any composition at a comparably high grade. The surfaces of this medal are astounding - unfortunately pictures don’t capture this aspect, but the cataloger has noted as “specimen level, pristine, and glass-like”.

The Most Efficient Digital Reference Tool for Conder Token Collectors is Now Available Online for Instant Download.
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CONDER TOKENS:The Provincial Token-Coinage of the 18th Century Digital Quick Reference

www.ConderTokenBook.com

Comments