Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Should I slab them?

I am working in the Middle East. I try to pick up interesting local coins while I am over here. I picked up some low mintage large silver coins from Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan and Iraq. Anyone think maybe I should have them graded? They have been handled, but at least AU, or higher I would guess. Oh yeah, here they are: https://youtu.be/J2RI6xyeQoQ

DellrugbyPM
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say not. I love that Egyptian coin and have about FIVE of them. One or two of the others a bit esoteric, so perhaps other readers may assist. Collectors of these sorts of NCLT want pristine coins, slabbed or not.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not 'worth' slabbing but if you are planning on keeping them perhaps slip them into some airtites. Especially any proof-like finishes should be kept as close to pristine as possible and the capsules would protect them from further handling marks. Unless one of them happens to be a super collectible rarity where the condition doesn't matter.

Look at the Chinese commem bullion types. They can go for super crazy money in 70, but a 68 is purely a bullion play. Not that one can't have pretty bullion (guilty here) but then it's bullion and straight up silver bullion is not worth the slabbing fees for the most part.

That said I have slabbed plenty of basic and non-worthy coins just because I liked having them in matching slabs for a type set I did ATS (literally pocket change from Japan). I can only imagine the strange thoughts passing through the grader's mind as my submission crossed his/her desk. A $5 coin at best, and getting slabbed. Or even my $40 coins. Not logical at all.

So, if you like slabs and you want to keep your collection graded, there is nothing wrong with it (the grading companies are happy to take your funds). It may not be a sensible financial move as you are unlikely to recoup fees, BUT it's totally fine.

I can't remember if PCGS does custom sets but someday you might want to show off your collection from your world travels in an organized and/or online format. You can make a website, you can throw up a set at collective coin, you can make a custom set ATS (and use coins from PCGS if it's a custom set), or you can tuck them into a nice slab box in an organized fashion. Flips work for albums but aren't as protective, and airtite capsules are harder to keep organized (at least for me).

That said, I would definitely get those big silver coins into some airtites at the very least. If you have an FPO/APO places like wizard coin supply can ship to you (I use them as an example as I bought from them a lot during my overseas tours). If you only have a 'regular' mailing address it might be best to have a friend mail them. It might be easier than trying to get an online entity to figure out how to get mail to an unusual-to-them address. It's not hard, but some places aren't willing to try.