Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA's Summer Seminar - any feedback?

rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

This annual event intrigues me. Unfortunately, this year I have commitments around mid-June, so I'll have to wait for June 2020. But for now, does anyone have feedback on this week-long experience?

https://www.money.org/uploads/1901_SS_course_catalog-7-web.pdf

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

Comments

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have attended for a few years now and have continued to be educated. If you want to learn and enjoy coin nerds, you will wish you went before now.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its incredibly worth it. Where else do you get an in-depth educational experience being taught by some of the best in the industry and on top of it, you get to mingle with them, make contacts, hang out etc and meet and hang out with like minded people from all over the world for a week or two. Think numismatic summer camp with all age ranges. Its name is quite apropos.. Its also a hunting ground where some of the biggest numismatic companies hunt fresh talent. It's an experience you'll never forget if nothing else. Fyi, try to get a room in one of the modern dorms though. The older ones are, well, older.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

@CascadeChris said:
    Fyi, try to get a room in one of the modern dorms though. The older ones are, well, older.

I have a colleague who lives in Colorado Springs and she offered to let me stay there (free rent :) ). Would I be missing a lot by staying "off campus"?

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

no but you might want to get the food plan.

Tom

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

And you definitely should go. Depending upon your level of knowledge you will either learn a lot, or make a quantum leap forward as a numismatist. I have been a half dozen times but not in a few years. Want to get back....

Tom

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmorgan said:

@CascadeChris said:
    Fyi, try to get a room in one of the modern dorms though. The older ones are, well, older.

I have a colleague who lives in Colorado Springs and she offered to let me stay there (free rent :) ). Would I be missing a lot by staying "off campus"?

You'd be missing a bit of the "immersion" aspect of the entire experience so to speak. I haven't stayed off-campus but I know some have. I would think the experience as a whole wouldn't be quite the same though.

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmorgan said:

@CascadeChris said:

That depends. If you leave campus for meals, you'll be missing a lot of the social atmosphere, so I'd recommend eating at least some of your meals on campus. You can pay cash for these. There is also the "Lunar Lounge," which is basically the late-night hangout spot convenient for people in the dorms, although even instructors that have to walk over a mile back to their downtown hotels, avoiding lawn sprinklers along the way, have been seen there.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you wish to save money do it; BUT ideally, you will not see much of your friend BECAUSE you need to be at breakfast on campus and not leave the campus until the "lounge" closes after the night classes. That way you will not miss anything except a little sleep during the travel time back and forth.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

I've attended twice for grading classes and it was fantastic. Cannot say enough about how valuable it was.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've attended the past 3 years and plan on again this summer. The classes are great and worth the tuition, the atmosphere is fun and full of conversation, and I can say that staying nearby is doable. I eat along with everyone else without a meal plan for lunch, and hang out regularly at Lunar Lounge. I've stayed nearby off-campus and at hotels further out. It's up to you.

I've also attended the mini-seminars in the evening and those are worthwhile too. The youth auction is fun, as are the book sales at the ANA HQ. All-in-all, if you're serious about numismatics, you should get down there when you can.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options

Thanks, all. I knew I wanted to attend, and these comments confirm that this event should be a priority. Coin shows are enjoyable and well worth my time, but I crave knowledge and a chance to improve my skills and to be introduced to new ideas. Unfortunately (and frustratingly), I have other obligations that prevent me this year, otherwise I'd be making my reservations now. Next year!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file