Home Sports Talk

Bobby Orr and why he was the best ever

TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
edited March 30, 2019 6:51PM in Sports Talk

I love Gretzky , but Gretzky couldn't do the physical things Orr did. Just remember, he was a defenseman who won scoring titles. Look at 2:12 and see just how incredible this guy was. To say he was fast is an understatement. Just imagine him on good knees. Watch the second video and listen to what the greats say about him and the comparison to Babe Ruth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDw3tMa7ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAIUs-jj6M

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is certainly one of the best, I’d still say Gretzky but don’t know enough about hockey to know the differences of eras and what not

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Orr is my guy

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hockey was great in the pre helmet era.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Orr could skate circles around all of them.

Iwas born in the 30's and I agree with you completely. I saw both of them play and there is no doubt in my mind who was best.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know anything about hockey, but it seems weird if he was such a great scorer,
    why was he a defensemen?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Hockey was great in the pre helmet era.

No helmets and, looking back, the goalies all look like Jason.

Watching the above first video was a amazing. I grew up near Boston, but Orr retired when I was just a few years old. But he was always talked about as a legend and revered as the best ever.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Don't know anything about hockey, but it seems weird if he was such a great scorer,
    why was he a defensemen?

I hope the experts correct me if I am wrong, but from what I know his vastly superior skating allowed him to completely take over a game playing as a defenseman, combined with coaching philosophy that didn't tie him to his end, his ability to score from a great distance, and his stick work let him set guys up with assist after assist. Plus he could recover quickly because he was so fast.

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:
    why was he a defensemen?

I hope the experts correct me if I am wrong, but from what I know his vastly superior skating allowed him to completely take over a game playing as a defenseman, combined with coaching philosophy that didn't tie him to his end, his ability to score from a great distance, and his stick work let him set guys up with assist after assist. Plus he could recover quickly because he was so fast.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. He could take the puck and run circles around the other team with his skating ability and then take in for a shot without anybody being able to stop him. I have never seen anybody else be able to do what he could do in my lifetime. It was magical.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 1:21PM

@pitboss said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:
    why was he a defensemen?

You hit the nail on the head my friend. He could take the puck and run circles around the other team with his skating ability and then take in for a shot without anybody being able to stop him. I have never seen anybody else be able to do what he could do in my lifetime. It was magical.

Yep. He could no what no others could at the time. No one could head man the puck like he could. It was a game changer. He literally could skate the puck 200 feet and could finish.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:
    why was he a defensemen?

Thanks for the explanation.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

The closest sports comparison seems to be Michael Jordan, as they were both great defenders and scorers.

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

What's crazy is that he is 3rd ALL TIME in assists per game. Of all the scorers and assist guys in NHL history, a defenseman is 3rd all time. Just mind blowing.

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Gretzky and Orr both seem to agree that Gordie Howe is the GOAT. Perhaps that is just modesty on Orr’s part, because Rickey Henderson he is not. 😆

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these "comparisons" are too funny! 5 Orr's vs. 5 Howe's, like that could happen.

Orr was certainly an unbelievable player, so was Howe.

Howe's longevity has to be a factor for me. An extra 20 years has got to mean a lot!

Orr's peak from 1968-74 was tremendous.

Howe's peak looks like it was about 21 years long. Equally amazing to me if not more.

I saw a video on Orr where it looked like an opposing player intentionally injured Bobby on a knee to knee hit. Sad that this could have happened if it was intentional.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I saw that game and it was intentional! Opposing players had finally decided the only way to beat him was to disable him.