Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ebay's New Managed Payment Program

I went to purchase a low value card using the BIN & instead of paying through PayPal, the payment screen is asking for my credit card information..,
"The seller accepts payments through eBay's new managed payments experience"
When did this come in to play? I'm assuming it's legit....
IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've gotten some seller to convert early for it. I know Burbank adopted it. I've already backed out of a dozen or so purchases because of it. It'll be a cold day in Ecuador when I give eBay my CC info.

Arthur

• DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

It was offered on a trial run to a group of sellers. eBay offered discounted fees if you opted in. I chose to not opt in as it limited the pool of potential buyers by not accepting paypal payments. eBay heard the complaints and claims that paypal will be an option with the managed payments in the future.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, I don't like giving out my cc numbers. Its too risky. Paypal or bust.

• MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Doesn’t Ebay have your credit card on file to bill for selling? They have mine.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

@Mphilking said:

I use two accounts; one for buying and one for selling

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what type of analytics Ebay runs, but if a lot of us place something in a cart and then cancel once we get to the Managed Payments page, that might get their attention.

If they wanted to do payments, they shouldn't have spun off Paypal.

Mike
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mphilking said:

Not mine. My selling account only has my Paypal account linked to it. But I signed up back in 1999 so maybe I got grandfathered in or something.

Arthur

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won an auction and now this is my only payment option. No PayPal. I messaged seller to please cancel.
    How disappointing.
    I hope they cancel or I will earn my first unpaid item strike.
    I collect coin and cards, not change :/

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

your more safe paying with a credit card, if you don't get what you pay for, just call the credit card company and stop payment. if you use pay pal, returns are long and drawn out

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get 2 percent cash back also using a card

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2019 1:57PM

Yesterday I won an auction for an item I had set a snipe bid with & when I went to check out I was informed that the seller is using the new payment option........I really wanted the item so I gave them my cc information (sigh).
    IMF

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep a separate account/card for paying. Truth be told, if you have used your credit/debit card ANYWHERE, you are at some level of risk of fraud. There is a lot of paranoia and I get that but really no different than using it anywhere else.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any issue using credit card. What is the difference with paypal or credit card as a buyer? In fact if you have balance with paypal, it use your balance as source of fund first not credit card.

The more you think about this, the more is just eBay thing. eBay forced everyone to use PayPal when they were in the same company. Now most buyer on eBay has PayPal setup to pay, so buyer don't want to switch to credit card. Do most buyers use PayPal on other stores? Most stores also accept PayPal but does buyer use it? I don't. I only use PayPal on eBay. So when buyer gets used to other way of payment on eBay , PayPal will be the thing in the past.

I don't have a way to take credit card as a seller but if eBay offer me to take credit card with better fee, I will sign up with eBay managed payment to give it a try. I believe only few buyer will refuse to buy because of not accepting PayPal as a payment method.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whenever I make a purchase on ebay, it automatically uses paypal. It doesn't even give the credit card option.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the new managed payment system, if buyers do not use paypal direct to your account (and many don't anymore now that there are other options presented to them by the new system), your funds are processing for a few days before hopefully eventually being transferred to your bank account; however, you still are supposed to ship the items within 24 hours of payment being initiated by the buyer to ebay. This situation is not as comforting, sending items out before payments are finalized in your personal account, as compared with paypal receiving them instantly.