Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1893 RP9 ?

ok I thought this was a TP9 but they labeled it a repunched 9 ?

any help is appreciated

thanks ken

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

There were several 1893 reverse dies that had re-punched 9's. One was re-punched three or four times, which is the one PCGS recognizes as the TP9. Yours coin was struck by one of the other dies with a repunched 9.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

@bosox said:
    There were several 1893 reverse dies that had re-punched 9's. One was re-punched three or four times, which is the one PCGS recognizes as the TP9. Yours coin was struck by one of the other dies with a repunched 9.

I guess I'm just confused if you remember a few weeks ago I posted a repunched 9 and it came back in a plain 1893 holder and this one they marked as a repunched 9 and it shows a population of one ???

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 5:19PM

What PCGS does on a daily basis is sometimes very puzzling. I think that I have 5 different types of R/P'd 9 for 1893 and a few R/P'd 3's, sometimes together. Look in the variety section in the back of the 65th edition of Charlton and see if you have one of those.... yours looks like p337. Also check out a search for 1893 on the CCF site .. .the '93's have been discussed a lot.

• Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

@syl said:
    What PCGS does on a daily basis is sometimes very puzzling. I think that I have 5 different types of R/P'd 9 for 1893 and a few R/P'd 3's, sometimes together. Look in the variety section in the back of the 65th edition of Charlton and see if you have one of those.... yours looks like p337. Also check out a search for 1893 on the CCF site .. .the '93's have been discussed a lot.

thanks Is that the one with the black cover that covered large cents in the back?

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Yes, it's the variety section that was written by a few folks on this site. 2011 (65th edition) black cover