Home Sports Talk
Options

John Wetteland is in a bit of trouble

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

has just been indicted on Child Molestation charges. child younger than 14.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read about it, 'continual abuse' since age 4. What a sick individual if what is alleged is true.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

correct. If the alleged is true, there is not enough jail time they could give him.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I have no pity for child molesters. If it was up to me the death penalty would be the consequence

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are the worst of the worst, I can’t even tell you how many of them I know, they are not all creepy weirdo types either. a lot and I mean a lot are “Normal” looking people. And just so you don’t get your hopes up “Justice” is not served when they go to prison either, they house them all in the same Housing units and they are protected. My last duty assignment in the jail I worked at before I retired was in a “PC” unit “Protective Custody” and all I wanted to do was literally cave their faces in. A LT from the Police Department in my home town went to jail for molestig a young teenage girl after being on the force for 17 years. Be careful who is around your kids, PROTECT YOUR KIDS!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    and all I wanted to do was literally cave their faces in.

I hear ya Paul. This is why we get along so well. I'd be right there next to you wanting to do the same. Tonya and I are always protective of ours. I never let them walk home from school or any where for that matter. I'd rather drive them and know they're safe.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    They are the worst of the worst, I can’t even tell you how many of them I know, they are not all creepy weirdo types either. a lot and I mean a lot are “Normal” looking people. And just so you don’t get your hopes up “Justice” is not served when they go to prison either, they house them all in the same Housing units and they are protected. My last duty assignment in the jail I worked at before I retired was in a “PC” unit “Protective Custody” and all I wanted to do was literally cave their faces in. A LT from the Police Department in my home town went to jail for molestig a young teenage girl after being on the force for 17 years. Be careful who is around your kids, PROTECT YOUR KIDS!

You're right about looking normal. I've watched a few times that TV show, I think it's called "Catch a predator" or something like that. I think it was on NBC.

It was sickening to watch, but at least they exposed and nabbed these filthy vermin.

One show I watched, it happened that one of the filthy vermin actually was on the show for the second time.

I'm a conservative, but I don't have any problem with legal behavior amongst adults. Do whatever ya want in private, I couldn't care less. But exploit children in any way, shape or form, I have zero tolerance on that, and I do mean absolute zero!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell you what I would do to them for fear of being banned. :s

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

You're right about looking normal. I've watched a few times that TV show, I think it's called "Catch a predator" or something like that. I think it was on NBC.

It was sickening to watch, but at least they exposed and nabbed these filthy vermin.

One show I watched, it happened that one of the filthy vermin actually was on the show for the second time.

I'm a conservative, but I don't have any problem with legal behavior amongst adults. Do whatever ya want in private, I couldn't care less. But exploit children in any way, shape or form, I have zero tolerance on that, and I do mean absolute zero!

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@perkdog said:

I hear ya Paul. This is why we get along so well. I'd be right there next to you wanting to do the same. Tonya and I are always protective of ours. I never let them walk home from school or any where for that matter. I'd rather drive them and know they're safe.

Matt I’m really glad to hear that, you really can’t be to careful! Btw I remember pictures in one of threads years ago of your kids, really a cute bunch! They must be near high school by now?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

I can't tell you what I would do to them for fear of being banned. :s

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

If you would have said something Medieval, I would have clicked the "Agree"

• Options

Same here!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@perkdog said:

Matt I’m really glad to hear that, you really can’t be to careful! Btw I remember pictures in one of threads years ago of your kids, really a cute bunch! They must be near high school by now?

Wow Paul. Time flies. My oldest is turning 20 next month. Then we have a 16, 12 and 11 year old. It's so cliche but you do really have to enjoy them while they're young. Before you know it, they're ready to move out and start their own lives.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

should I know who John Wetteland is? Or is it college football related?

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Disappointing to hear that Wetteland did this. I followed him while he was with the Yankees.

These child predators do come in all shapes and sizes as Sevek revealed. "To Catch a Predator" hosted by Chris Hanson can still be seen on YouTube in case you missed it or some of the episodes. There is no consistent profile among them. Some are downright creepy looking (by most people's standards), but then you also have surgeons, religious leaders, teachers, physicians, other professionals,very wealthy individuals, fathers, employed people, unemployed people, actors, etc.
    I can understand what Matt said about not even letting kids walk home from school. Even though I would like to teach my future children some independence/self-reliance, one bad experience is all it takes to ruin (or at least deeply impact) their lives forever.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    Disappointing to hear that Wetteland did this. I followed him while he was with the Yankees.

Allegedly. From the one article I read, the alleged abuse ended 13 years ago when the child was 6. I have no idea what the truth is here, but allegations made 13 years after the alleged crime carry close to zero weight with me. Allegations aren't evidence, and I'm going to wait to see what evidence, if any, exists before engaging in any Wetteland trashing. I note, too, that he was released on a bond he could have easily paid from his checking account; that probably indicates that the judge wasn't terribly impressed with whatever evidence was presented to him.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Dallasactuary,

I stand corrected. You are right. He allegedly did this.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is NOT true.......I have ZERO respect for the person making these false charges. That is almost if not as bad of a crime to me!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    should I know who John Wetteland is? Or is it college football related?

Yankees closer before Rivera, former World Series MVP.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Should people making false allegations, if they turn out to be false, have the same punishment bestowed on them as the alleged predator would have had had he or she been found guilty?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Gemyanks10,

I would hope there is some justice. However, no matter what happens to the person that spread false rumors, once your reputation has been dragged through the mud, its a real uphill battle to re-establish it. Should there be jail time for false accusations? Will the law be applied equally even if a person is a celebrity or very wealthy?

We will see how this all plays out with John Wetteland. I cannot say he is guilty or not, but justice should prevail, no matter the results.

• Options

I’ve always said that in cases like this, you have to get all the facts straight before you you rush to judgement. Adults that claim abuse years, sometimes decades after an alleged incident always raises a red flag for me, that being said there are cases where a child who was abused is scared or uncomfortable to bring the abuse to attention and that is understandable but on the other hand sometimes young adults decide to falsely accuse for a number of reasons and it’s a horrific situation for the accused. As far as an adult in say their 30’s or older bringing up former abuse from decades before never made sense to me but it does happen. I’ve never been abused as a child so I can’t relate to it however if a situation arises where an adult falsely claims abuse they should absolutely be given a jail sentence in my opinion. A guy I went to the Sheriffs academy with was found guilty of sexually abusing his stepson 30 years ago and was found guilty and was sentenced to a lengthy prison term. Facts don’t always come out but sometimes they do so you have to let it play out in court.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 11:40AM

@perkdog said:
    I’ve always said that in cases like this, you have to get all the facts straight before you you rush to judgement. Adults that claim abuse years, sometimes decades after an alleged incident always raises a red flag for me, that being said there are cases where a child who was abused is scared or uncomfortable to bring the abuse to attention and that is understandable but on the other hand sometimes young adults decide to falsely accuse for a number of reasons and it’s a horrific situation for the accused. As far as an adult in say their 30’s or older bringing up former abuse from decades before never made sense to me but it does happen. I’ve never been abused as a child so I can’t relate to it however if a situation arises where an adult falsely claims abuse they should absolutely be given a jail sentence in my opinion. A guy I went to the Sheriffs academy with was found guilty of sexually abusing his stepson 30 years ago and was found guilty and was sentenced to a lengthy prison term. Facts don’t always come out but sometimes they do so you have to let it play out in court.

Yes there is no way to know how one “should” act “or “ report” unless you’ve gone through it yourself. Especially if you are a young child. You must feel trapped and where are you going to turn? Your trust for adults must be zero. The self imposed embarrassment/ shame must be like a piano on the back. My guess is most victims never report it and carry it to the grave. The one that do are the brave ones.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......