Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Las arras....

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I were watching the TV show Will & Grace last night and there were several references to a Spanish tradition of giving 13 gold coins given from the groom to the bride during the wedding ceremony. I decided to look up the reference and it's pretty neat. Thought I would share if anyone was interested. Or perhaps, if someone is familiar or has seen this at a wedding.

Las arras matrimoniales (wedding coins)

The custom of the giving of wedding coins originated in Spain. Thirteen gold coins (arras) are given to the bride by the bridegroom, signifying his willingness to support her. Often presented in ornate boxes or gift trays, this represents the brides dowry and holds good wishes for prosperity. These coins become a part of their family heirloom. The symbolism, which may be explained by the officiant, is that the Groom recognizes his responsibility as a provider, and pledges his ability to support and care for her. Acceptance by the bride means taking that trust and confidence unconditionally with total dedication and prudence.
The number 13 represents Christ and his 12 apostles.

Comments