Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1990 Topps Football - Disclaimer Backs

Is there any way to know/guesstimate how many more cards were printed without the disclaimer on the back as opposed to those with the disclaimer? Looking at the pop reports, the quantities graded of the disclaimer backs are much less than the non-disclaimer backs. In my latest stash of cards I got on Craigslist, the guy had about 2k to 3k of the disclaimer back cards, and the cards are in very good condition...should be able to find a bunch of PSA 10 candidates....I thought it interesting that the guy I got the cards from had so many of the disclaimer backs...

Comments

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had never heard of this disclaimer variation. I have a complete 1990 set in an album, so I looked. Every single card that is in my set has the disclaimer printed on it. I certainly opened a lot of wax product, but do not recall if this is a hand collated set or from a busted factory set. A quick look on eBay turned up factory sets with the disclaimer printed on the box, so I'm sure every card inside would have the disclaimer, too. Likely not rare at all. If it is rare, oh boy! Cha-ching!

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

if you look on Ebay at PSA 10 examples, they for sure are more valuable than those without the disclaimer...and as I noted, the pop reports bear out that there are a lot fewer disclaimer back cards submitted than the non-disclaimer cards...can't be a coincidence

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, this is the first I've ever heard of this variation, so I'm not at all up to speed or familiar. However, a quick look at PSA graded 1990 Topps football singles for sale show many with the disclaimer on the back, but not denoted as such on the flip. The pop report would then compromised. Every single factory set that I saw for sale had the disclaimer printed on the outside, so I would assume the cards inside would be printed with the disclaimer, also. If anything, I'm guessing that cards without the disclaimer are much more rare in actuality. Hopefully, someone with more expertise will chime in. I'm certainly curious, as I have a complete raw set with the disclaimer, acquired somehow by accident.

• spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

So I had a card for a registry set denied because it is a disclaimer back. I guess they see it as an error/variety even though it is more common, was in the factory sets, and most cards residing in flips already have the disclaimer back but aren't identified correctly on the flip. How does PSA handle the 1990 Topps for Andre Ware in the Heisman registry set? You have to buy one labeled incorrectly or hunt down one without the disclaimer and get it graded?

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Guessing they graded a lot of them way back when, before they realized that there were disclaimer and non-disclaimer cards of each player...kinda sucks for those collecting the set graded...

• junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

The disclaimer was removed fairly late in the print run. In fact, factory sets exist with the disclaimer cards. But still, the non disclaimer versions are by no measure in limited supply. Finding the box bottoms without disclaimers in nm or better is another story.

Building a 1000 yard club set with all four versions (disclaimer/non-disclaimer with both single/double asterisk backs) is a fairly difficult challenge.

Also keep in my that any league leader or team leader card comes in three versions due to the hashmarks on front.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems