Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best card for $200 - potential

CsmontieCsmontie Posts: 184 ✭✭

I have $200, I just collected from ebay sales on cards I had just laying around the basement in boxes over the last month. Yes its burning a hole in my pocket ... lol ... but looking for suggestions from everyone on a $200 card with potential to increase (if it does great if not not a big deal) just having fun with it and wanted to see what everyone out there would suggest. My long term goal is to eventually grab myself a graded Nolan Ryan or mike Schmidt rookie card thanks Craig

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, you can already afford a 73 schmidt in psa 6, If you save up a bit, a psa 7 can be had for 235-250. that would get you halfway to your goal

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

Mickey Mantle

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 Topps Hank Aaron in best grade possible. You can routinely get a centered PSA 4 for that. With some digging perhaps a 4.5 or 5.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Luka ;)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200 would get you a 2004 Mega Cracks 71 Lionel Messi in a 4 or 4.5 range.

• Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Speculate.
    Buy RC of Vlad Guerrero JR. or someone like that
    who is candidate for ROY.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 1:19AM

If you want to speculate and you want to see quick returns your best bet is to buy something modern. Now the quicker return also means greater risk and volatility but volatility can be a good thing for flipping purposes.

My suggestion would be a Topps Series 2 (bat down) Ronald Acuna. Look for the nicest one you can, paying close attention to the front and back corners. Avoid any that show white. I haven’t followed prices that closely, but I think you should be able to grab one and maybe two with $200 (may be slightly more than $200 for 2). Grade them both, if you get a 10 on one you’re probably looking at $300+, if you get 10’s on both $600+. Pretty good return. And if he starts the season like he ended last season those prices might go even higher.

Steve
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭

For quick return, I would do an iconic modern card that is the best card available for the particular player. For example, about 1.5 years ago, I picked up a couple 1993 SP Jeter PSA 8's for around $250. Now, they are $700-900 each. It seems that whatever is the "best card available" gets more attention than other cards.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

I would buy the best Patrick Mahomes rookie for $200 I could find. The kid throws 50 td passes in his first full season and leads his team to the AFC Championship. The sky’s the limit with him.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Csmontie said:
    I have $200, I just collected from ebay sales on cards I had just laying around the basement in boxes over the last month. Yes its burning a hole in my pocket ... lol ... but looking for suggestions from everyone on a $200 card with potential to increase (if it does great if not not a big deal) just having fun with it and wanted to see what everyone out there would suggest. My long term goal is to eventually grab myself a graded Nolan Ryan or mike Schmidt rookie card thanks Craig

I'd keep the $200 and add it to other savings until you can get the card you really want. Otherwise the transaction costs each time you trade up are going to kill you.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy as many high end Josh Rosen Auto RCs as possible. For $200 you could get at least 3 good auto RCs.

I think he is going to get traded to a good team (other words NOT Arizona) and become a star QB. If the Patriots or Giants get him, he will be a top tier QB in the hobby unless he flops out completely.

Mike
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    I would buy the best Patrick Mahomes rookie for $200 I could find. The kid throws 50 td passes in his first full season and leads his team to the AFC Championship. The sky’s the limit with him.

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Vintage - Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Wilt Chamberlain, Jabbar, etc. The best of the best in as good condition as you can.

• Options

@Csmontie said:

I have an unopened 1986 Fleer NBA wax pack coming my way, may get lucky and score a great rookie player of that year..MJ comes to mind. That might be something you might consider looking into.

Good luck!

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@Mdl28 said:

@Csmontie said:

I have an unopened 1986 Fleer NBA wax pack coming my way, may get lucky and score a great rookie player of that year..MJ comes to mind. That might be something you might consider looking into.

Good luck!

You bought it for $200? Hmm

• Options

@Tecmo Boil said:

@Mdl28 said:

@Csmontie said:

Good luck!

I spent a total of $45 on a number of packs. One allotment actually came in this afternoon. 1992 Topps Michael Jordan card was in one.

• Options
    CsmontieCsmontie Posts: 184 ✭✭

thank you for all the suggestions still not sure but kitty is now $300 again thanks

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdl28 said:

Good luck!

I spent a total of $45 on a number of packs. One allotment actually came in this afternoon. 1992 Topps Michael Jordan card was in one.

I think the point was that you couldn't possibly have purchased a 1986 Fleer basketball pack for $200 or $45 for that matter. Possibly the wrapper. Best of luck on ripping the packs you did get!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com