Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My 1st Completed Registry PCGS Set

Here's my 1st completed PCGS Registry set. It's a 1942 Proof Set. I know it's only a 6 piece set, but it still took me quite a while to find the coins I needed with the right "look" and the right grade. The mailman just brought me the last piece (the War Nickel) today. I know they minted 27,600 of these babies, but the 35% Silver/Manganese alloy is a tough one to find without Hairlines, Spots or Ugly toning. Now that this set is complete I can move on to the next one and the next one and....

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@9Sec93LX said:
    Here's my 1st completed PCGS Registry set. It's a 1942 Proof Set.

Congrats on the set completion!

Is there a reason you selected 1942?

• Options

I'm actually working on quite a few different Proof sets, but the '42 has always been my favorite. It has the Mercury Dime, the Walker and the War nickel, so it's a little bit different than the rest of the sets. I'm actually looking to complete them all from '38-'64 in the long term. I have bits and pieces of most of them and just decided to concentrate on the '42 first.

• Options

@9Sec93LX said:
    I'm actually working on quite a few different Proof sets, but the '42 has always been my favorite. It has the Mercury Dime, the Walker and the War nickel, so it's a little bit different than the rest of the sets. I'm actually looking to complete them all from '38-'64 in the long term. I have bits and pieces of most of them and just decided to concentrate on the '42 first.

Makes sense and your collecting what you enjoy, too.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 9:42PM

@9Sec93LX, you’ve put together a beautiful set to be very proud of. Very few of these 1942 Proof sets are in the grades you have that also have wonderful eye appeal. Enjoy, and congratulations!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@winesteven said:
    @9Sec93LX, you’ve put together a beautiful set to be very proud of. Very few of these 1942 Proof sets are in the grades you have that also have wonderful eye appeal. Enjoy, and congratulations!

You hit the nail on the head. I had not realized just how difficult it would be until I started my search for these coins. I've read a few of David Bowers books over the years and learned about things like "eye appeal" and "optimum collecting grade." 

I have always been the guy who probably drives coin dealers bonkers when looking for a particular coin. "No not that one, not that one, YEAH THAT ONE!!!

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

Great Job!! They look beautiful! There is no greater feeling than to complete your first set. Job well done!

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    9Sec93LX9Sec93LX Posts: 18
    edited March 28, 2019 3:44AM

@DiggerJim said:
    Great Job!! They look beautiful! There is no greater feeling than to complete your first set. Job well done!

DiggerJim

Thanks Jim

• Options

Here's the Reverse side of this set.

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! Now to upgrade the Lincoln to a 66!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well-done!
    Felicidades!

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

Nice eye appeal, good job on your set. Now the never ending chase to upgrade.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice accomplishment! Never apologize that it's only a 6 piece set - I have a 9 piece MPL set that I'm damn proud of. Please do us (and yourself) a favor and take stickers of reverses. Looking forward to your next set.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really nice set, congratulations on your completion. It does not matter if it was 6, 60, or 600 coins ... a set is a set and completing one is always rewarding and an accomplishment to be proud of. What are you working on next?

• Options

@LJenkins11 said:
    That is a really nice set, congratulations on your completion. It does not matter if it was 6, 60, or 600 coins ... a set is a set and completing one is always rewarding and an accomplishment to be proud of. What are you working on next?

Probably my next set to complete is going to be the 1953 Proof Set. I only need the Dime and Half in PCGS Pr65 or 66 for completion. Then on to finish my Jefferson Proofs, as I only need the 1940, '50 and '51 and I will have from 1938 to 2010 Inclusive.

• Options
    MJD62MJD62 Posts: 14 ✭✭

Here’s my 1942 registry proof set. My next set is going to be a Jefferson nickel proof set from 1938 - 1964.

• Options

@MJD62 said:
    Here’s my 1942 registry proof set. My next set is going to be a Jefferson nickel proof set from 1938 - 1964.

That's a really nice set you have there MJD62.
    The Jefferson set is my favorite of the current coins in circulation.
    Good Luck with your next set.

• Options
    MJD62MJD62 Posts: 14 ✭✭

Thanks for the kind words. Speaking of the Jefferson set, I picked up a new addition today — a 1955 PR68 CAM. This is my earliest cameo so far and an absolutely beautiful coin!

• Options

@MJD62 said:

Nice set and congrats @MJD62 on the set completion!

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good sets, guys.
    Here is my 1942 Proof set. Not as good as either of yours, but I like it nonetheless.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kindanewish - You put a real nice set together, and I see all are in OGH. VERY nice! I suggest you list/start this completed set in the Registry.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996