Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Where to buy vintage wax? Would appreciate input from veterans

Hi guys, With the lack of supply in vintage from BBCE as of late is there any other options? Ebay prices aren't even realistic unless you catch an auction. Most of the BIN on eBay are a good 40% over FMV. So are there any other trusted outlets for purchasing vintage wax pre 1982?

Comments

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the combination to their safe?

• @ZTarg said:
    Can anyone tell me the combination to their safe?

Certainly not asking for any low key secret sources but rather mainstream companies that sell wax and are trusted. Don't be that guy who makes this what it is not. Thanks

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fritsch but they are getting very limited on their supply. The majority is going to have to come from the open market. Auction houses and Ebay are where you are going to find most of it. Good luck because it's a jungle out there.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • @PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Fritsch but they are getting very limited on their supply. The majority is going to have to come from the open market. Auction houses and Ebay are where you are going to find most of it. Good luck because it's a jungle out there.

THANKS! Never looked at Fritsch for packs although I have bought a few autographs from them on eBay. I am just trying to get some packs to save before these rippers churn through them all :|

What auction houses would you recommend I keep an eye on?

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 2:47PM

What are you looking to buy?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• @softparade said:
    What are you looking to buy?

Looking for Baseball, Basketball, Football, or Hockey Pre 1982. Would prefer PSA graded.
    I am seeing these vintage rippers tear through old packs and I figure I am going to join the short bus of guys who try to preserve them. :)

• RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 3:03PM

Sorry I cannot contribute to the thread OP. But here's my recent wax story...

Was away from the hobby for a few years. 3 cards shops in town. 1 closed and other is far away. 3rd I've never frequented more than 1x for no real reason. Went in to see they had a lot of older wax. Looked at some 75 Minis, 74 football, 77 Topps Baseball etc and the seals were good. Did not check the '79 seals. For $22 a pack...guess I was blinded by the "deal". Got home and the seals looked bad on all the '79 wax. So I opened them all. 1 had wrong size gum and was missing the corner. 2 more had traces of glue. Ugh. Not pictured is a 64 cello pack (6th Series Baseball) en route to PSA. Sending what I did not open to PSA. Opened a 72 OPC (EVERY card ruined from the gum leaking juice).

Said he had more 75 mini packs in the back but was going to increase the prices as he had them last priced in 2012. Hope to get them back from PSA before I dive in for more.

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

There are a couple of Facebook groups where people buy and sell unopened regularly, and those have proven to be the source of some good deals and some excellent opportunities. Ebay regularly has unopened that you can snag, including BBCE boxes and racks, if you know what you are looking for and if you pay close attention to the market. Buying unopened is the wild wild west though.
    kevin

• @tulsaboy said:
    There are a couple of Facebook groups where people buy and sell unopened regularly, and those have proven to be the source of some good deals and some excellent opportunities. Ebay regularly has unopened that you can snag, including BBCE boxes and racks, if you know what you are looking for and if you pay close attention to the market. Buying unopened is the wild wild west though.
    kevin

Hey Kevin, what groups on Facebook? Would be great to deal collector 2 collector vs collector 2 seller. Thanks in advance!

• @RyansRust said:

Was away from the hobby for a few years. 3 cards shops in town. 1 closed and other is far away. 3rd I've never frequented more than 1x for no real reason. Went in to see they had a lot of older wax. Looked at some 75 Minis, 74 football, 77 Topps Baseball etc and the seals were good. Did not check the '79 seals. For $22 a pack...guess I was blinded by the "deal". Got home and the seals looked bad on all the '79 wax. So I opened them all. 1 had wrong size gum and was missing the corner. 2 more had traces of glue. Ugh. Not pictured is a 64 cello pack (6th Series Baseball) en route to PSA. Sending what I did not open to PSA. Opened a 72 OPC (EVERY card ruined from the gum leaking juice).

Said he had more 75 mini packs in the back but was going to increase the prices as he had them last priced in 2012. Hope to get them back from PSA before I dive in for more.

Are you going to sell any of those packs in which you have duplicates? If so please consider me. I will definitely pay a fair price

@waxman1981 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

THANKS! Never looked at Fritsch for packs although I have bought a few autographs from them on eBay. I am just trying to get some packs to save before these rippers churn through them all :|

What auction houses would you recommend I keep an eye on?

Unopened from Fritsch is as good as gold. They purchased most directly from Topps years ago. As I pointed out in a previous thread, the 75 Cellos have gone from $225 to $300 on their website in a matter of a few weeks. Keep in mind, they also sell them on Ebay and you can get them with free shipping(which I found wasn't cheap ordering one) and can couple that with Ebay promos or Ebay Bucks promos. I'm new to this unopened game as well and it is really tough sledding out there.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends on your definition of FMV. Yesterday's overpriced packs are today's bargains. At one time not too long ago, Fritsch had tons of PSA 1970 cellos as low as $400 sitting on eBay for months. Now, a pack listed at 1K sells the same day it goes up for sale. The unopened market is reaching new heights seemingly every couple of months.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • @grote15 said:
    It really depends on your definition of FMV. Yesterday's overpriced packs are today's bargains. At one time not too long ago, Fritsch had tons of PSA 1970 cellos as low as $400 sitting on eBay for months. Now, a pack listed at 1K sells the same day it goes up for sale. The unopened market is reaching new heights seemingly every couple of months.

You make a good point. Certainly on pre 1976 I expect to pay a premium but people trying to get 100 to 120 for PSA 1978 football is way to much. I am simply trying to keep as many packs as possible out of the rippers/breakers hands. It may sound crazy but it makes me sick to see pre 1980 ripped

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman1981 said:
    Hi guys, With the lack of supply in vintage from BBCE as of late is there any other options? Ebay prices aren't even realistic unless you catch an auction. Most of the BIN on eBay are a good 40% over FMV. So are there any other trusted outlets for purchasing vintage wax pre 1982?

If everything available is 40% over FMV, FMV might not be what you think it is.

• @RyansRust said:
    Got home and the seals looked bad on all the '79 wax. So I opened them all. 1 had wrong size gum and was missing the >corner. 2 more had traces of glue. Ugh.

I think only one (top right) had the correct sized gum.

@waxman1981 said:

Are you going to sell any of those packs in which you have duplicates? If so please consider me. I will definitely pay a fair price

I busted all the '79's (resealed) and all the ones with loose gum. Rest are off to PSA only a few will be avail. Once I get them back I'm keeping most. But the shop does have others but want to kinda know if they're legit first. The '75 mini packs were $65. A steal imo.

@72Collector said:

@RyansRust said:
    Got home and the seals looked bad on all the '79 wax. So I opened them all. 1 had wrong size gum and was missing the >corner. 2 more had traces of glue. Ugh.

I think only one (top right) had the correct sized gum.

Those were the 1st '79 packs I've opened. Just watched a pack break on video...you're right. Mine all had the smaller gum minus that 1 pack. But the one with the large gum was missing the corner. I checked the pack and surrounding area multiple times. I hope the rest are fine. $1500 spent. We'll see. I'll make a post in 2-3 months when I get them back.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@waxman1981 said:

It's worth taking a look at the recent actual sales data on eBay. Can't say much about the "best offer accepted", but the actual sales show some pretty solid increases since the beginning of the year.

Here's what I was able to pull up for vintage packs in that timeframe

3/19 1970 Topps BB Wax Pack - Series 5, PSA 9 $1,350
    2/24 1970 Topps FB Wax Pack - Series 1, PSA 8 1,255.55
    2/25 1959 Topps BB Wax Pack - 1 cent, PSA 7 $1,225
    3/15 1957 Topps FB Wax Pack - PSA 8 $1,200
    2/3 1964 Topps BB Wax Pack - 4 card, OPC Wrapper, PSA 6 $999.99
    3/5 1970 Topps FB Wax Pack - Series 1 GAI 9 $900
    3/9 1976 Topps BB Wax Tray - $810
    2/17 1963 Topps BB Wax Pack - 1 cent, PSA 9 $787.77
    12/28 1972-73 Topps BKB Wax Pack x 2 - $PSA 8 $749

Unfortunately only 1 "repeater" in the batch (1970 Topps FB).

The challenge is that the sample size is always going to be small because of the increasing scarcity of the packs as the vintage rippers are now adding to the demand. FMV is now only part of the story since nobody knows when/if another pack that they would like to own is going to come up on the market. It could be next week or next year or not at all. The only certainty is that if you want it you will probably now be competing with some vintage rippers who were not previously participating in the market as obviously as they have been since January 1.

I think in that kind of environment those people who really want a particular pack are going to stretch a bit rather than miss it when an opportunity arises.

Dave

@waxman1981 said:

I It may sound crazy but it makes me sick to see pre 1980 ripped

You wouldn’t like me lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2019 9:20PM

@RyansRust said:

From what I can see, the 75 mini pack appears legit with a 6/4 split between cards from the two ** sheet and cards from the one * sheet.

Gum is bad on 3 of the 4 79 wax packs as mentioned earlier.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • @RyansRust said:
    Those were the 1st '79 packs I've opened. Just watched a pack break on video...you're right. Mine all had the smaller gum minus that 1 pack. But the one with the large gum was missing the corner. I checked the pack and surrounding area multiple times. I hope the rest are fine. $1500 spent. We'll see. I'll make a post in 2-3 months when I get them back.

Good luck! I hope the rest are legit. Keep us posted.

• If everything available is 40% over FMV, FMV might not be what you think it is.

I am smart enough to know 400 for 1976 Topps wax is way overpriced

• @70ToppsFanatic said:

@daltex said:

@waxman1981 said:

It's worth taking a look at the recent actual sales data on eBay. Can't say much about the "best offer accepted", but the actual sales show some pretty solid increases since the beginning of the year.

Here's what I was able to pull up for vintage packs in that timeframe

3/19 1970 Topps BB Wax Pack - Series 5, PSA 9 $1,350
    2/24 1970 Topps FB Wax Pack - Series 1, PSA 8 1,255.55
    2/25 1959 Topps BB Wax Pack - 1 cent, PSA 7 $1,225
    3/15 1957 Topps FB Wax Pack - PSA 8 $1,200
    2/3 1964 Topps BB Wax Pack - 4 card, OPC Wrapper, PSA 6 $999.99
    3/5 1970 Topps FB Wax Pack - Series 1 GAI 9 $900
    3/9 1976 Topps BB Wax Tray - $810
    2/17 1963 Topps BB Wax Pack - 1 cent, PSA 9 $787.77
    12/28 1972-73 Topps BKB Wax Pack x 2 - $PSA 8 $749

Unfortunately only 1 "repeater" in the batch (1970 Topps FB).

The challenge is that the sample size is always going to be small because of the increasing scarcity of the packs as the vintage rippers are now adding to the demand. FMV is now only part of the story since nobody knows when/if another pack that they would like to own is going to come up on the market. It could be next week or next year or not at all. The only certainty is that if you want it you will probably now be competing with some vintage rippers who were not previously participating in the market as obviously as they have been since January 1.

I think in that kind of environment those people who really want a particular pack are going to stretch a bit rather than miss it when an opportunity arises.

Dave,

You honestly make excellent points! I guess it just sucks as it is very few (looking to preserve) vs very many (looking to rip). I may just have to face the facts that I can't compete with rippers on some of this material

@waxman1981 said:

Are you referring to the 1976 pack on ebay for $400? If so, there's always buyers too cheap and too expensive.There's 3 other packs in the same grade (different wrapper) for $250.

• @RyansRust said:

@waxman1981 said:

Are you referring to the 1976 pack on ebay for $400? If so, there's always buyers too cheap and too expensive.There's 3 other packs in the same grade (different wrapper) for $250.

there are a few on eBay for 350 up to 400.

same thing for alot of post 1975 in all sports. I don't mind paying a fair price...heck maybe even a little over. I guess it is frustrating to me. Wax collecting/preservation is a tough road for sure

Dave,

You honestly make excellent points! I guess it just sucks as it is very few (looking to preserve) vs very many (looking to rip). I may just have to face the facts that I can't compete with rippers on some of this material

When you consider that 1971 Topps BB racks have lately been selling for $6000-$6500 and a vintage ripper was able to sell 52 slots to rip such a pack at $250 each ($13000 aggregate) it’s going to be hard to compete for a lot of people.

In the MileHigh auction last week a 33-card 1970 series 3 cello went for $2000 (including BP). That’s $60/card. And based on the visible cards the collating sequence doesn’t even predict a significant star in the top 11 cards or the bottom 11 cards forbthat cello. 1970 cellos used to be $300-$400. One vintage ripper was charging $60/card to rip such a cello. Another was charging $45/card. But when a pack goes at $2k it seems like the vintage rippers are going to need to raise prices significantly if they intend to maintain their margins. I would not be surprised to see the next 1970 cello rip go down at $90-$95/card. For a shot at a PSA 9 or 10 Clemente they will find enough gamblers to fill their break.

This is the new normal, and unopened collectors have to look at it with bittersweet perspective. Their current holdings have appreciated significantly, but their ability to buy more has seen a corresponding fall off due to increased costs and lowered supply.

Dave
  • @70ToppsFanatic said:

Dave,

When you consider that 1971 Topps BB racks have lately been selling for $6000-$6500 and a vintage ripper was able to sell 52 slots to rip such a pack at $250 each ($13000 aggregate) it’s going to be hard to compete for a lot of people.

In the MileHigh auction last week a 33-card 1970 series 3 cello went for $2000 (including BP). That’s $60/card. And based on the visible cards the collating sequence doesn’t even predict a significant star in the top 11 cards or the bottom 11 cards forbthat cello. 1970 cellos used to be $300-$400. One vintage ripper was charging $60/card to rip such a cello. Another was charging $45/card. But when a pack goes at $2k it seems like the vintage rippers are going to need to raise prices significantly if they intend to maintain their margins. I would not be surprised to see the next 1970 cello rip go down at $90-$95/card. For a shot at a PSA 9 or 10 Clemente they will find enough gamblers to fill their break.

This is the new normal, and unopened collectors have to look at it with bittersweet perspective. Their current holdings have appreciated significantly, but their ability to buy more has seen a corresponding fall off due to increased costs and lowered supply.

Dave,

Do you think once the 70s material dries up that 1980, 82, 83 Topps could also see a massive rise? Or are there already to many grade specimens out there

I think mass production started in 1978, and that since the supply is so much greater there is much less short-term upside for material from those years.

If the vintage breakers start chasing Henderson RCs, Ripken RCs, Gwynn RCs, Boggs RCs and Sandberg RCs then the supply will be reduced, but there is quite a bit of material to consume in that manner so it's going to be a 5 or more years before there would be any chance to get to that point

Of course, maybe eventually one of the Crisser's doom and gloom forecasts might actually pan out. In that case, you just need to wait and then all your favorite 1970s unopened will be available at much lower prices. I guess it's just a matter of patience.

;)

Dave
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

This. I recently emptied out a safe depo box to re-check values etc. I think it's important to do in case I roll a 7. 18 months ago I had pegged value on what was in there (50s/60s/70s unopened and a '73 all series wax box, '74 wax box and '75 mini cello box.) Went up from about $65 K to about $145 K--wowza. But as Dave said I cannot recall the last time I bought a high priced pack--not sure I will again

edited March 29, 2019 4:25AM

@70ToppsFanatic said:
    I think mass production started in 1978, and that since the supply is so much greater there is much less short-term upside for material from those years.

If the vintage breakers start chasing Henderson RCs, Ripken RCs, Gwynn RCs, Boggs RCs and Sandberg RCs then the supply will be reduced, but there is quite a bit of material to consume in that manner so it's going to be a 5 or more years before there would be any chance to get to that point

Of course, maybe eventually one of the Crisser's doom and gloom forecasts might actually pan out. In that case, you just need to wait and then all your favorite 1970s unopened will be available at much lower prices. I guess it's just a matter of patience.

;)

'78 Topps racks are all mostly WELL N of $100 bucks ea now and a ton more if any star is showing. They were like 40 bucks a pop and lower in 2005 when I was ripping them like crazy. I'd be willing to bet that a significant price reduction of legit unopened '78 and '79 Topps never happens. Especially '78 with multiple HOF rookies.....

• @70ToppsFanatic said:

;)

Crisser is the type of guy that tells you not to buy water during a shortage because the shortage is coming to an end......doesn't off any explanation but just trust him. meanwhile you stand one isle 4 watching people load up on cases of water thirstier than hell.

lol

'78 Topps racks are all mostly WELL N of $100 bucks ea now and a ton more if any star is showing. They were like 40 bucks a pop and lower in 2005 when I was ripping them like crazy. I'd be willing to bet that a significant price reduction of legit unopened '78 and '79 Topps never happens. Especially '78 with multiple HOF rookies.....

I’m not saying that 78/79/80 are low priced. What I am saying is that the supply from 1978 onward is much greater than what exists for 1977 and earlier.

Other than the Fritsch 1975 cello stash, when was the last time you saw a sealed case of just about ANYTHING baseball that was. 1977 or earlier? I recall 2 wax cases sold by BBCE since 2011. That’s about it.

Now consider 1978, 1979, 1980 and onward. Several times a year there are wax, rack, wax tray or cello cases of these years coming up for sale several times throughout the year.

It was back in that timeframe and the next 10-15 years that people really started putting this stuff away in earnest. It was already too late to get 1977 and earlier cases by then I guess. Otherwise we would have been seeing them over the past 20 years.

Dave

From a collecting standpoint, it seems most wax packs are tougher to come by than the cello packs. Now, this of course doesn't ring true for every year and I'm pretty new to this area of collecting. 75 Topps mini wax still seems plentiful due to all the unopened cases dumped onto the market a few years back. So, what I'm seeing right now, is that the rippers are focusing on the cello packs because they are cheaper to purchase(per card) and they are only looking at a "per card" price. Using 1975 as an example, cellos can be had for around $300 and they can get what....$30-40/slot. with 18 slots that is decent profit. And a wax pack has 10 cards?? but they are much tougher to come buy and from what I can see, bring at least that per pack, unopened. Just not enough profit there. It's just the opposite for the Topps minis. You see the rippers opening wax since those can still be purchased for $150 or less but can't touch the mini cello packs for anywhere near that price. Rack packs seem to be the best bang for the buck if you are a ripper but seems, says around 77 and before have become more scarce.
    If you watch ripping you can see the certain packs that are getting ripped in high volume right now and maybe that is where you focus to pick up a pack or two before the price takes off. As stated before, 70 cellos have gone crazy in the last few months. Just look at the website for VB. They have been flying thru 1972 Topps basketball wax packs lately at $45/spot. I want to say those packs have jumped from about $200 to $250 recently. If you are just wanting to get a pack to put back, that is a pretty cool year with a lot of rookies and still reasonably priced.... for now.
    Sorry, I continued to ramble as thoughts go thru my head and I know there are many here with much more knowledge that. Honestly, I don't really even remember what my point was when I started!

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I shop at the Grotemart. Friendly customer service and convenient location.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

@cpamike said:

LOL

edited March 29, 2019 7:55AM

@cpamike said:

Might be, but rumor has it the dude is rarely open for business and when he is, he keeps all the good product locked away in the back?!?! I heard he even has guys in sniper nests perched outside to keep away the unfriendlies!

• Who here will sell me a 77, 78, 79 PSA graded 8 or better baseball wax. Need 1 of each. Come on fellas.

@waxman1981 said:
    Who here will sell me a 77, 78, 79 PSA graded 8 or better baseball wax. Need 1 of each. Come on fellas.

You can get nice, unopened from BBCE. $90 for a 77 and $38 for a 79 then send them in. Most likely coming back 7-9.

@waxman1981 said:
    Who here will sell me a 77, 78, 79 PSA graded 8 or better baseball wax. Need 1 of each. Come on fellas.

Most are hoarding it my friend. Not all. But you might want to ask a little nicer :D

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shopping online for deals on vintage unopened is a tough game. Too many eyes looking at the same prize.

If you really want to find deals, you may need to put on your walking shoes and scour the local card store, shows and coin shops. At one time that was one of the fun parts of the hobby.

Mike

@waxman1981 said:

For 1979 wax you would be best picking up wax trays. There are plenty of BBCE wrapped ones out there that can be had. They won’t be PSA slabbed, but BBCE does all the authenticating for PSA so it’s the same seal of approval.

Does the assigning of a numerical grade really matter that much to you in this?

Dave
  • @ndleo said:
    Shopping online for deals on vintage unopened is a tough game. Too many eyes looking at the same prize.

If you really want to find deals, you may need to put on your walking shoes and scour the local card store, shows and coin shops. At one time that was one of the fun parts of the hobby.

SADLY....Therenare no CARD shops within 200 miles of me.

• @70ToppsFanatic said:

@waxman1981 said:

For 1979 wax you would be best picking up wax trays. There are plenty of BBCE wrapped ones out there that can be had. They won’t be PSA slabbed, but BBCE does all the authenticating for PSA so it’s the same seal of approval.

Does the assigning of a numerical grade really matter that much to you in this?

NOT IF THE packs come from Bbce

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@waxman1981 said:

@tulsaboy said:
    kevin

Hey Kevin, what groups on Facebook? Would be great to deal collector 2 collector vs collector 2 seller. Thanks in advance!

Look for the Vintage Wax and Packs group on Facebook. Some of the guys here are also there. But there is lots of buying and selling that takes place there of some really good stuff. The bad eggs (people trying to sell bad stuff) get weeded out pretty quickly.
    kevin