Home Sports Talk

PSA Survey

electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2019 3:47PM in Sports Talk

I was asked why i liked collecting sports cards and immediately my response was childhood memories,as a child and a young adult Montreal Canadiens won 15 Stanley cups in 25 years, by looking at my Montreal Canadiens you can see my enthusiasm.

rocket52

Tagged:

Comments

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Merci

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 4:01PM

ok its been 40 years back to high school
    Ill try to translate. don't shoot I know Ill not get it right
    Hello and welcome to our discussion. We have happened upon a nice meeting. We can talk about our collections.
    It is a great bunch of guys. Les Canadiens rule.

Why is Claude Provost not in the HOF?

avoir

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 5:16PM

Ummm Cheers? 🤷‍♂️🍻

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

In elementary school, a lot of kids collected baseball cards, but if you asked the students who was the biggest baseball card collector, their answer would likely be me.

Back in 1965 i needed one card, I don't even recall now which one it was other than it was a common, to complete the 72 card embossed insert set. I couldn't find that damn card anywhere.

So I put out a "bulletin" to the school that I would trade 5 regular baseball cards for that one embossed common card. I knew it had to be a common because I had all the big stars such as Mantle, etc, with the other 71 cards.

Most kids thought that trade was crazy, because most kids threw out those embossed cards as trash when opening the packs. The whole school was looking for it and talking about it.

Took around a week, and finally one day a kid I didn't even know taps me on the shoulder and said he has the card. I always had some baseball cards on me because at school lunchtime we were always flipping them, etc. So he hands me the embossed card, and I hand him 5 regular Topps 1965 baseball cards. He was very happy...and so was I.

If that story doesn't illustrate what kind of a card collector I am, I'm not sure what would. :)

Steve do you still have that card??? That’s a great story 👍

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Steve do you still have that card??? That’s a great story 👍

Yes, i still have the set, still raw. I honestly forget which card it was.

Here's the Mantle.

Nice Steve!