Home Sports Talk

Should Tony Romo Be the Highest Paid TV Analyst?

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2019 12:48PM in Sports Talk

Comments

• HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

I think he is pretty good but 10 million dollars a year....I don’t know.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what most of the top guys get but he definitely knows his stuff. I almost think he over does it with the play calling and dissecting the plays but he definitely knows his stuff. He might get it but that is a lot of money, for sitting in a comfy booth calling a game

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the numbers of viewers he brings in or if that will bring in advertising money, but he is probably the only NFL broadcaster people are now tuning in specifically for.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 2:40PM

He is very good at what he does. I enjoy watching / listening to him. He's also probably the only announcer in NFL history that will end up figuring out how to throw an int from the broadcast booth.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    He is very good at what he does. I enjoy watching / listening to him. He's also probably the only announcer in NFL history that will end up figuring out how to throw an int from the broadcast booth.

Careful Matt you don’t want to get DIMEMAN going on Romo! 😂

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting juxtaposition going on this week with Mr. Rony Tomo

negotiating to become the top dog in the booth, while simultaneously trying like hell to avoid the basement against some bottom-rung pros

@perkdog said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Careful Matt you don’t want to get DIMEMAN going on Romo! 😂

Funny Paul because I actually did think that. However, I weighed the possible consequence of my comment and deemed it a worthwhile cause haha

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zeroes are meaningless.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

If any body can he is the one!

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Yes lol

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok i've thought this one over and have created my own fictitious prop bet of sorts

if Tony finishes within 20 shots of 20-yr-old Sungjae Im in the first two rounds, give him the 10 mil he covets. i can guarantee you that would be more impressive than anything he has ever said in the booth. ️⛳️

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's the #1 analyst in the game but I have no idea if 10 million is a reasonable salary for that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Romo makes $4 million per season...NOT per year. So, the season consists of 16 weeks of NFL play...let's just call that 4 months. Yeah, I get the prep time, travel, etc...but seriously, how hard can that be? 4 months and $4 miilion is $250k per game, assuming he announces a game a week.

Now he wants a monster pay raise to $10 million! So, instead of getting $250k per game, he wants $625k per game. You're good Tony, but are you worth $625k for having the best seat in every game and just talking for a while? No.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

You guys have the wrong analyst.

Romo 248 TD passes. 117 INT

Aikman 165 TD passes. 141 INT

Both had 4000+ attempts

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I'll take Aikman in a heartbeat!

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Both had 4000+ attempts

m

The thing is........Romo found ways to lose games.......Aikman won games including 3 SB's. Nuff SAID!

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Both had 4000+ attempts

m

Ah but 3 Superbowl rings cover a multitude of sins

@lawnmowerman said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Both had 4000+ attempts

m

Like I said...I don't EVER remember Aikman losing a game for us.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never tuned in or tuned out of a game because of who the broadcaster was. just doesnt make that much difference to me. I would watch if they just broadcasted crowd noise.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah but having Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith cover a multitude of sins

FTFY.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@lawnmowerman said:

Both had 4000+ attempts

m

That’s because you are a practically a fossil ; )

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@DIMEMAN said:

1996 playoffs vs Carolina - Cowboys lose 26-17. Aikman - 18-36, 165 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT
    1998 playoffs vs Arizona - Cowboys lose 20-7. AIkman - 22-49, 191 yds, 1 TD, 3 INT

Just messing with you. The dude wasn't perfect :)

@craig44 said:
    I have never tuned in or tuned out of a game because of who the broadcaster was. just doesnt make that much difference to me. I would watch if they just broadcasted crowd noise.

I've come close. Bill Walton did a couple Gonzaga basketball games this year and he has become basically unlistenable. It was very tempting to turn off the sound and try to sync up with the radio. In the end, though, we stuck it out with Walton.

edited March 28, 2019 1:47PM

@Tabe said:

Ah but having Larry Allen and Emmitt Smith cover a multitude of sins

FTFY.

Obviously. Aikman just like any other QB in history doesn't win games or Super bowls by themselves it takes a team.

And by the way you didn't fix anything for me. There is nothing wrong with the statement I made. Aikman does have three rings. You assuming that I was saying he did it by himself is ridiculous

edited March 29, 2019 10:57PM

I didn't assume any such thing. Just saying it's a lot easier to win with those guys as your teammates. If you were offended by my FTFY, I apologize.

@Tabe said:
    I didn't assume any such thing. Just saying it's a lot easier to win with those guys as your teammates. If you were offended by my FTFY, I apologize.

No worries! I apologize as well. I wasn't being rude but I could see how it could be taken that way.

Also I agree with you. Aikman had a great surrounding team. Romo did as well but he didn't have such a high-caliber running back like Emmitt Smith.

The meaning of my initial statement was something entirely different. I was just trying to say that cowboy fans will be member aikman more fondly due to the Superbowl wins. Whereas Romo will be remembered for choking and not being successful in postseason. It's unfair because he did put up monster stats and was an excellent quarterback. He just didn't have what it took to put his team over the top.

Cool man. Thanks.