Home Sports Talk
Options

What % of "star" college athletes do you believe get paid under the table despite the illegality?

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2019 10:12PM in Sports Talk

I'm a pessimist regarding this issue...I think the bonafide stars are all incredibly sought after and get money of some form funneled to them or their parents etc..... I'd say 70%-80%.... I am for legalizing payments and making them above board with regulations.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

99% of the star players receive some form of non compliant compensation.

I agree...time end the NCAA collusion and permit the schools to pay the players.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

They get money, grades, girls. How many of them?? I’d say almost all of them.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know a number, but I do know that when I was in college, I couldnt afford the clothes/jewelry/top of the line headsets these guys have when they arrive at arenas. Someone is paying for that stuff and I bet it isnt a $10/hour work study job on campus.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

At top tier D-1 teams in the major and mid major conferences I suspect that all players on basketball and football teams are given under the table money or other stuff.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I would say 90% get SOMETHING more than a free meal here or there. I would say 100% get free meals, drinks, etc....

I don't think I posted about it but a buddy's son is at a major university and he bought a recent first round draft pick a drink during his one and done season in college. Interestingly the bar had no problem serving the one and done "student" athlete who was obviously only 18 or 19 as everybody in the bar knew who he was. Life in the fast lane!

• Options

So the consensus is that most of the star players are paid off (spin it as you will.)

That of course means that they are breaking NCAA rules and perhaps the law. Same goes for the coaches, Athletic directors and likely the school presidents.

But yet, as we anticipate the sweet sixteen games, we somehow pretend that the referees are honest and would not compromise their morals for a nice satchel full of $100 bills.

Final four has probably already been predetermined.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin, Big difference between competing for the highest payroll offer and the best steak and hottest “Girlfriend”

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 2:59PM

@Coinstartled said:
    So the consensus is that most of the star players are paid off (spin it as you will.)

That of course means that they are breaking NCAA rules and perhaps the law. Same goes for the coaches, Athletic directors and likely the school presidents.

I would say it's a select few that the coaches/AD/Pres are involved in (directly). It's mostly handled by the athletic 'boosters' and college donors, so there's a degree of separation.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Coinstartled said:

I would say it's a select few that the coaches/AD/Pres are involved in (directly). It's mostly handled by the athletic 'boosters' and college donors, so there's a degree of separation.

You are dreaming.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

What % of college basketball players are offered big bucks to fix a games score?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@Coinstartled said:

You are dreaming.

You're too tainted by the local AZ programs, that's how most other schools get away with it. Donors buy the kids a car, pay for mom's house, not saying the others are unaware, but they don't directly facilitate. Especially if you're not talking a NBA first rounder, but just college star.

• Options

I dunno, Larkin. Just heard a Tom Izzo interview and barfed a bit. How far removed was he from Larry Nassar (google if you have to.

Michigan State should not have an athletic program. Neither should Penn State. Arizona as well. How about USC and Stanford with the Hollywood payoff scandal?

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I met a guy once that went to UF to become a dentist. While he was a student there, he was paid to take tests for Emmitt Smith. Not sure who paid him but whoever it was, I'm sure they had Galen Halls blessing. True story.

• Options

Probably helped Emmitt with his drills.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Probably helped Emmitt with his drills.

Haha..I see what you did there