Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ash... open the door.

Looking to meet fans/collectors of merch from the Alien franchise. Specifically the first two films. Aw hell, I’d be cool with meeting anyone who’s into movie merch collecting. I have no one here to geek out with.

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm certainly a fan of the franchise. I don't have any merch but I'm slowly working on a PSA graded 1979 Topps set. Here are a few:

Also working on a graded 1978 Close Encounters set and 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark set.

I've also got a pretty extensive Charlie Chaplin card collection from all over the world.

But if we're starting an Alien franchise thread I am down. I've lost count how many times I've watched it and I've written about it extensively. Alien is one of the best films of all-time.

Arthur

• I purchased a complete set of 1979 Topps Alien trading cards and stickers last year. They look good. A little too good, really. I’m pretty sure they’re not the real deal. Especially since I picked them up on eBay. As someone who’s probably had a lot more experience in dealing with vintage collectibles, how do you spot a fake? I’m more of a merch collector, but it would be great to know how to spot counterfeit/reprinted trading cards in the future.

• This is a VERY small sample of the Alien/Aliens merch I’ve collected over the past three years...

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

the modern aliens auto cards are pretty cool

@Xenomorph said:
    I purchased a complete set of 1979 Topps Alien trading cards and stickers last year. They look good. A little too good, really. I’m pretty sure they’re not the real deal. Especially since I picked them up on eBay. As someone who’s probably had a lot more experience in dealing with vintage collectibles, how do you spot a fake? I’m more of a merch collector, but it would be great to know how to spot counterfeit/reprinted trading cards in the future.

I would be SHOCKED if they are reprints. There's no reason to reprint them because there's no value in them. You probably just got a set someone made from a wax box they ripped. I'm sure they're legit.

@HighGradeLegends said:

Whoa. What? I am unaware of what you speak of. I must now see for myself. Is it modern like 2018?

Arthur

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@Xenomorph said:
    I purchased a complete set of 1979 Topps Alien trading cards and stickers last year. They look good. A little too good, really. I’m pretty sure they’re not the real deal. Especially since I picked them up on eBay. As someone who’s probably had a lot more experience in dealing with vintage collectibles, how do you spot a fake? I’m more of a merch collector, but it would be great to know how to spot counterfeit/reprinted trading cards in the future.

I would be SHOCKED if they are reprints. There's no reason to reprint them because there's no value in them. You probably just got a set someone made from a wax box they ripped. I'm sure they're legit.

@HighGradeLegends said:

Whoa. What? I am unaware of what you speak of. I must now see for myself. Is it modern like 2018?

Arthur

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2018-upper-deck-aliens-trading-cards

• Hot damn, I got the Upper Deck 2018 Aliens set! Of course, then I had to buy the UD 2017 Alien set. And, well... then I sorta picked up the complete Titan Aliens “Game Over” Miniatures box set to compliment the Alien “Nostromo” Miniatures collection I picked up earlier this year. I’m pretty sure my wife is gonna divorce me. OCD is a bitch.
    OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch.
    OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch.
    OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch. OCD is a bitch.
    OCD is a bitch.
    OCD is a bitch.

See? What’d I tell ya’.
    (Gets high and buys working, full-sized replica of Colonial Marines Pulse Rifle/Grenade Launcher. Immediately regrets it, but takes no action to cancel order.)

Yeah, I saw that 2017 Alien set. I need to pick up a few boxes of packs and rip those. Unfortunately no Harry Dean Stanton autos but looks like they got the remaining of the cast. I haven't seen a Ridley auto though.

Arthur