Home Sports Talk
Options

Rob Gronkowski announces his retirement

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for everything Gronk!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

First ballot HOFer without a doubt imo. He was truly a dominant force.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that! I guess he was afraid of facing Whitten in the Super Bowl! :oB)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Sorry to hear that! I guess he was afraid of facing Whitten in the Super Bowl! :oB)

At least spell his name correctly for crying out loud! :p

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

At least spell his name correctly for crying out loud! :p

Sorry, easy mistake. I spelled it like it sounded. B)

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was really no big surprise, I'm glad the guy went out with a great playoff run that led to another ring. It will be interesting to see what Belichick does at that position now after Gronk retired and missing out on Jared Cook.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going out on top. And from what I've read, he has saved every cent of his NFL earnings.

That is one smart kid, i don't care what some say about him not being intelligent.

• Options

I think the Pats should retire #87 rather than just voting him into the Pats hall of fame,he's definitely earned it.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I think it will be a year off and then he'll be back and better than ever.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad he got out before another serious injury. He will be missed

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Gronk. You were a beast

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

We will miss him but it was necessary for him to retire while he was still in one piece. Football is a tough sport.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 5:02PM

I’m actually surprised, I thought he was going to play another season but good for him he was an awesome Patriot and did everything well. He was a BEAST and definitely a first ballot HOF’er. Well done GRONK!!!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

should clear some cap space. How about Martellus now?

And Gronk facing "Whitten" in the Super Bowl? Gronk didn't want to play until he was 42, he's no Tom Brady.

• Options

Maybe Rob is just upset that Tom asked Julian to go to Disney World instead of him?

• Options

@Barndog said:

And Gronk facing "Whitten" in the Super Bowl? Gronk didn't want to play until he was 42, he's no Tom Brady.

IIRC Bennett said he wasn't coming out of retirement to play with his brother.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Barndog said:

IIRC Bennett said he wasn't coming out of retirement to play with his brother.

Yea he is too busy with promoting his children’s book on instagram and posting pics of himself smoking weed

• Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

One heck of a great football player!

• Options

Here's a list of NFL records that Gronk retired with.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Here's a list of NFL records that Gronk retired with.

Incredible.

• Options

Belichick & Kraft both released statements about Gronk retiring:
    Sports
    Belichick praises Gronkowski: He was a major reason why we won championships
    Omnisport Omnisport 2 hours 47 minutes ago
    Reactions Reblog on Tumblr Share Tweet Email

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick lauded retiring star Rob Gronkowski.
    Bill Belichick graciously thanked Rob Gronkowski after the New England Patriots star announced his retirement on Sunday.

Gronkowski, 29, posted the news on Instagram, saying he was stepping away from the NFL after nine seasons in New England.

Pats head coach Belichick released a statement praising Gronkowski later in the day.

"It was a pleasure and a privilege to coach Rob Gronkowski the past nine years," Belichick said. "From his rookie year until his final season and through countless times in between, Rob was a major reason why we won games and championships. His elite combination of size, skill, intelligence, toughness and ability to perform in pressure situations set him apart.
    "Rob's impact on our team and organisation was felt in many ways. In the ultimate team sport, Rob was a great, great team-mate. His production spoke for itself, but his daily attitude, unmistakably positive energy wherever he went and toward whoever he touched will never be forgotten."

Owner Robert Kraft also released a statement on Sunday.
    "In the nine years that I have known Rob Gronkowski, I have never known him to have a bad day," the statement read. "He always has a youthful exuberance about him and is a joy to be around. As a player, he earned the respect of his coaches and team-mates for his hard work, preparation, selfless attitude and the sheer dominance of his game. 'Gronk' quickly became a fan favourite and the most dominant player at his position for nearly a decade. I look forward to honouring him in the near future as both a Patriots and Pro Football Hall of Famer."

• Options

I loved the way he would "throw away" DB's trying to tackle him.

• Options

Doesn't get much better than those accolades.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think any defense ever figured out how to play him. You could only double him so often and when you played one guy on him or just a regular zone, it was Gronk's time.
    Special talent with flair for the big moment. Glad he retired while he could still walk.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    This was really no big surprise, I'm glad the guy went out with a great playoff run that led to another ring. It will be interesting to see what Belichick does at that position now after Gronk retired and missing out on Jared Cook.

They like the guy from Iowa if still available in the Draft.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

he had the size that allowed him to dominate his position and redefine what a Tight End is in the NFL. there have been others at the position who maybe had better skill at route running and overall were better receivers but none who had the influence on a game the way that Gronk did. he demanded the attention of two players and a Defensive Coordinator every week.

I expect to see him either in a broadcast booth or the pre/post game shows and maybe ownership at some time. he strikes me as a pretty sharp guy who knows the direction he wants to take. without a doubt his next "stop" will be in Canton. the only question will be who presenter is.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he bailed out the pats lousy gm by retiring. The team is in cap trouble and this should help them sign a bunch of special teams guys for millions and some running backs off the fry machine at burger king for 20 bucks an hour

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

His blocking made him so valuable in addition to his pass catching. he will be sorely missed.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2019 6:17AM

@bronco2078 said:
    he bailed out the pats lousy gm by retiring. The team is in cap trouble and this should help them sign a bunch of special teams guys for millions and some running backs off the fry machine at burger king for 20 bucks an hour

And they will still make the playoffs 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Pasted:

"So Rob Gronkowski, certainly an interesting player. Excellent size, very well thought of down there by Coach [Mike] Stoops and his staff. I think as we saw there, in New York, he’s kind of a fun loving guy who enjoys having a good time, but he plays like that, too. He plays with a good attitude. He’s aggressive."[28]
    –Coach Bill Belichick, April 2010

I keep trying to explain to the Belichick bashers that this is a facet of Bill Belichick that separates him from all the other NFL coaches, and what has helped make him the GOAT. The ability to analyze a player and see thru the facade to know whether or not that player can endure the punishment of playing in the NFL.

I'd be sure that quite a number of NFL GM's on draft day, passed on Gronkowski because they didn't want some "fun loving guy" coming to their football team and possibly creating problems.

Any idiot pundit can analyze stats coming from players out of college. It's takes a genius to go deeper than that into a player's soul to see how he can fully develop, be coached up, and win football games in the NFL.

Of course Belichick doesn't get it right all of the time, that would be impossible. And the bashers will always point out those times. However Belichick does get it right often enough to have achieved an absolutely spectacular coaching record.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob Gronkowski is big enough to endure the punishment of anything and anybody, probably even Mike Tyson.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@erikthredd said:

They like the guy from Iowa if still available in the Draft.

Iowa has two tight ends that will go in the first round well before the Pats pick unfortunately. Alabama’s TE may fall to them

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will miss him.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rob Gronkowski net worth from contracts and endorsements: During his time in the NFL, Gronk earned around $60 million in salary alone. He also earned tens of millions more off the field through endorsements with companies like Tide. Gronk announced his retirement on March 24, 2019 when he was 29 years old. He famously claims to not have spent a dime of his NFL salary and instead lives exclusively off his endorsement deal money. In addition to Tide, Gronk endorses Nike, Dunkin' Donuts, Visa, T-Mobile, Lyft, Cheerios, Monster Energy and more.

Source: Celebrity Net Worth

At the age of 29, and nothing but what appears to be blue skies ahead, I think he just made a brilliant move!
    We'll miss ya Gronk, enjoy life to the max.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of speculation that he'll be showing at Wrestlemania and possibly joining WWE.

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    Gronk's agent said it could be a very short retirement...that he could return to NFL..... Drew Rosenhaus elaborated that it would be on an "as needed" basis back to the Patriots if they were struggling and needed his help....

There was another report this afternoon where Gronk made it 100% clear he's done for good:
    “He told me, ‘I am done. I have won three championships. I just won a championship. I am healthy. I am going out on top. I am feeling good. I am ready to do other things.’ He told me, ‘I am done, done, done.’
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/rob-gronkowski-retirement-former-new-england-patriots-tight-end-apparently-not

• Options

The blood sucking entity known as the Boston/NE media wasted no time trying to rip Gronk on the way out rather than just praise the guy for how great he was when healthy. Now its Gronk purposely waited until after all of the major free agents were signed before he made his retirement decision public. They'd have us believe that this was Gronk's way of paying back the Pats front office for all of their negotiating slights in recent years.

• Options

Yea I don’t buy into that stupid “As Needed” crap one bit. Your either IN or OUT with Bellichik.

• Options

Pasted from his draft preview:

Unfortunately he has missed a total of 16 games over the past two years due to injuries or illness

Durability concerns since he missed the entire 2009 season after back surgery and missed three games in 2008

Gronk would be foolish at this point to come in "as needed" or to participate in wrestling.

All that good money he's got sure ain't worth much if you can barely walk, and you're basically a zombie from all the pain killers. Of course CTE is always an issue as well.

The only running he should do is take the money and run, and stay retired.

• Options

Just read that Gronk retiring frees up roughly 9M in cap space for the Pats who now have about 17.5M available.

• Options
  • Options

I'd do that deal for Sanu but I'd pass on giving up a 3rd for Graham. I'd rather see BB go after one of the better TEs in the first even if it means moving up. Maybe even do the same for a WR in the second round.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard his girlfriend wanted him to retire

• Options

Jordy Nelson retired as well