Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Selling pack wrappers

Is there any legit reason for someone to buy a pack wrapper after it’s been opened? For example, 1979 Topps Hockey - wrappers are listed for a bunch of money and have been sold for a few bucks on eBay, but other than trying to recreate an unopened pack, I don’t understand the market. Is there a group that collects them? I feel a little guilty tossing wrappers (not these examples but I have tossed some 1985 Topps Hockey wrappers), but I don’t want to aid the fraudsters so in the garbage they go. Am I hurting a population of collectors out there that I don’t know about, and is there a way to serve them without putting them in the hands of the guys who reseal packs?

Jim

Comments

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep at least one for each set I put together. I also have an album of just wrappers.

Andy

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

There are collectors for those.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I keep an unopened pack or wrapper with every set. For many Topps baseball sets there are multiple wrapper variations for different years and there are folks who collect wrappers, some of which are rare/scarce and expensive if you can find them.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting wrappers is reasonable and common. I love them. It’s when 36 wrappers from the same set are sold in a lot that I start to have a problem.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

See my sig pic for what I do with them.....

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Collecting wrappers is reasonable and common. I love them. It’s when 36 wrappers from the same set are sold in a lot that I start to have a problem.

Exactly.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Personally, I would like to get at least one wrapper (not sure about one of each type issued in a year) to put in my set binders. I just haven't gotten around to it.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Good info - thanks guys!

Jim

• @PaulMaul said:
    Collecting wrappers is reasonable and common. I love them. It’s when 36 wrappers from the same set are sold in a lot that > I start to have a problem.

What about cello pack wrappers? Does anyone collect them?

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 6:01PM

@72Collector said:
    What about cello pack wrappers? Does anyone collect them?

I do. I have cello wrappers going back to 1980 for Topps and 1982 for Fleer. I'm a collector. I like to collect. :)

Andy

• I do. I have cello wrappers going back to 1980 for Topps and 1982 for Fleer. I'm a collector. I like to collect. :)

That's great! I used to assume that every cello wrapper being sold on Ebay was going to wind up in the hands of a resealer.

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 7:14PM

I collect wrappers from the junk wax era. I have a run of Donruss from 1981-1991 and the 1992-1994 foil. I'm working on Topps from 1979-1991 and Fleer from 1981-1991.

I have cello wrappers for a few years, but they are very tough to unfold without ripping them.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball