Home Q & A Forum

testing my progress in coin education

What do you all see. As I continue to learn and read I have stayed off forums other than to scroll. Started this hobby February 15 with son and grandson. So please GHO.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic of a 1964 1C in a 2x2 cardboard flip

Close-up pic of a 1944-D 1C.

Coin Facts for comparison.

• LyndagLyndag Posts: 99 ✭✭

@Hemispherical I did go to coin facts first. But I see doubled lines in both of mine. So in all the material I’ve read and the books I’ve purchased, and yes I took your advice and ricko, but the naked eye sees something. I have scoured the double die and variety comparison as well. So, you don’t see anything?

@Lyndag said:
    @Hemispherical I did go to coin facts first. But I see doubled lines in both of mine. So in all the material I’ve read and the books I’ve purchased, and yes I took your advice and ricko, but the naked eye sees something. I have scoured the double die and variety comparison as well. So, you don’t see anything?

Have you looked at Variety Vista? That is the prime site for doubled die coins. I will post links and how to tell the difference between doubled die versus machine doubling.

edited March 23, 2019 3:06PM

http://varietyvista.com This site is ran by Dr. Wiles who authenticates doubled die coins. If you can’t find a matching coin here you probably do not have a DD. If you do find a matching coin then point out the FS number. There are exceptions.

http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf Doubled Die versus Machine Doubling

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties A listing of TONs of reference material.

@Hemispherical yes I read that last week but will go back for another comparison. I’ve read so much material and looked at so many coins that I’m about ready to find another hobby. Lol. I have at least realized that this is something that occupies my time versus sitting in a hotel room watching TV. And have also come to the conclusion that I can slow down, take a couple years to get better and hopefully gain enough knowledge to not have to question too many. Thanks for the links. I did order me a magnifying light for a better look.

Many people have made the assumption that coin collecting can be a quick learn. Many people have also found out that it is not. This is probably why many will focus on just one coin or types of coins.

For doubled die cents. If you think you have one go to the link provided and find a coin that matches. When you post here, provide a link or the FS-number and you’ll get responses to say yea or nay or maybe it is another FS.

Just asking, what do you see, is basically asking someone else to do all the work.

@Hemispherical I certainly see and understand your point about the what do you see question. Wasn’t really seasoned enough to see how that looked til you point it out. Was never my intention to have someone do the work as I love doing it and learning myself. Was more a question of do you see what I thought I saw. I did read Dr Wiles book which took me back to the beginning of how the association started and of the many accomplishments of Fred W. Actually received an email from him recently. So thanks and I will continue my studies and will randomly poke my head in and say hello. Your guidance and sharing of information is greatly appreciated.

I was confusing DDO with DDR

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything but might just be my screen.