Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ONLY 30 MINUTES LEFT ON MY GIVEAWAY IN THAT FORUM!

2»

Comments

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You found silver in change as a norm

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

And a 15 cent slice of pizza!> @Smudge said:

10 cent Cokes, 2 cents for the returnable bottle.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 candy bars for a nickel at the local neighborhood market. Cigs were 19¢ a pack in 1960. Got silver back from my silver dollar payment....

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 6:39PM

Going through the mail order sheets, picking out what I wanted sight unseen, giving my mother a few dollars earned baling hay, mailing her check and the order form, waiting seemingly years for my small package of coins to arrive.

Great memories.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marshall Fields in Chicago had a coin department, as I remember.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Chris Moneymaker winning the World series of poker in '03, lol.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gimbel's Dept store on 34th St. in NYC had a great coin dept.

Must have been in the 60-70's

Gimbels if I recall was the first dept store to have escalators between floors.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

...my friends and I would go to the neighborhood liquor store, buy a bottle of rc cola and two pieces of gum for a quarter, sitting on the brick ledge of the liquor store and naming the car models coming into town

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember bid boards and the last minute scramble to put in the winning bid. Do we still have bid boards these days?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

Who remembers when a brand new Ike would buy an 8 oz soda, a candy bar, and a couple of packs of baseball cards with gum and still get change back?

I had an uncle who, back in the early 70s, would give me an Ike every time he would see me. Oh, the cards we tore up on the spokes of our bike wheels.

imageimage

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 6:37AM

I remember the coke machine at the local sporting goods store: You put in your quarter, opened the lid and pulled the green-glass bottle out of the grip of a sort of mechanical clamp.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when muscle cars were the norm around my town and my old 1969 Delta 88 with the Rocket 455 could keep up with the best of them. Sure wish I still had that one...some kid took it for a joy ride and hit n oak tree at 80 mph. He lived but the transmission was in the front seat when they towed it back to my house...I should have take a photo of it. No one would believe the kid walked away from the wreck.

Jim

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Scanning the bottom of the local pool looking for pennies and nickels that other kids had lost. Three cents would get you a long pretzel rod at the snack window. A nickel would get you a pack of Juicy Fruit or box of Milk Duds. If you found a quarter, you were rich (and suddenly had lots of friends)!

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've spent 50+ years collecting and have never ran across that exact slab. Neat.
    Now, I remember when everyone at coin shows for 50 miles along I-81East Tennessee and Western Virginia were interested in anything coin related. They always had time for newbies(even aggravating ones) and usually would ignore ones who had or showed no interest in learning. Great days.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gimbel's in Yonkers also had a coin department. I think that Macy's in White Plains did at one time, too, but they were too expensive for my tastes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof sets cost $2.10 and came by Registered mail.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

The post office would save the plate blocks from the sheets of stamps they broke up when selling less than a sheet and collectors could come in periodically and go through them.

To make this coin related you would pay for your purchase and get silver coins back in change.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 12:55PM

:*Remember when there wasn't any "Grading companies"? Can't even imagine :/

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

1978... the year I graduated high school. $10 was enough to fill the tank in my father's Caddy with enough left over to take my girlfriend out to a movie with soda and fries afterwards... we did have to share fries...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

The day the new Lincoln Memorial design reached our town in late February of 1959. That night was the annual Masonic Father/son banquet and one of the local bankers brought a couple of rolls and passed them out for everyone to see and take one home. We kids were fascinated by the fact they changed a coin's design in our life time.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

when coins were this price...

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

I remember the last days when you could trade in silver certificates for real silver
    Thanks
    Frank D

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I remember when coin shops had bid boards, really enjoyed those.

I think Dixie Coin in Dayton still does.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! There sure is a wealth of memories here that go back a loooong way.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    I remember when you had to find a pay phone to make a call

...and those calls were a dime.

... then they were a quarter.

... now there aren't too many pay phones left.

• Options

When I was a kid there was a pay phone outside every business it seemed. And calls were a nickel. Just pick up the receiver and an operator asked what number, then asked for me to deposit the nickel.
    Home phone was a party line with four families sharing the wire. I would never be able to talk on a phone to my fellow 10 year old collectors as kids just didn't do that. We waited 'till school to discuss coins and marbles.

bob

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, that's a memory jog @AUandAG .
    We had a party line too. My kids can not fathom such a thing.

And marbles....cats eyes, steelies, shooters...we used to compare, talk and trade. Getting nostalgic now.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about Danny B Crabb Rare Coins in the back of Coinage magazine? I sent in my $.99 and never got my coins! Perhaps this should have been an indication of how thing would go if I continued to collect coins!!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danny Crabb's coin shop was here in the SF Valley, on
    Van Nuys Blvd. Would go to his shop, and also drove
    to Jonathon's Coins, on Manchester Blvd., in Inglewood.

...and I remember the local movie theater, The Baldwin Hills
    Theater, was 9 Cents for the Saturday matinee 2 movies,
    lots of cartoons and previews!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@FredWeinberg Went to a Saturday movie in about 1956 with a double feature and about 20 minutes of cartoons. Cost was a dime. Then when it was over we walked out into the pouring rain. Ran from building awnings to under trees, etc. While running through a puddle laden parking lot, I spotted a rolled wad of bills. Picked up of course and could not wait to unfasten the rubber band. Roll was a good inch in diameter. It was all one dollar bills but what a great day for me!

bob :)

• Options

TTT

• Options

Not to diss the good Carsonites but I do remember walking out of the Nugget to fina a Carson St covered in snow. Beautiful crisp winter night with hardly a sound anywhere....1 a.m. and I just walked down the center of the main drag, as no cars were around. In doing so I picked up 15 silver dollars that someone had spilled in the block south of the Nugget. Yeah, just picked them up out of the snow. My buddies, there were three of us, picked them up too. I bet we had 50 silver dollars in our pockets that night. Went home with a huge grin. Circa 1962.

bob :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file