Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What’s this cloudiness in the field?

redmoonredmoon Posts: 15
edited March 22, 2019 10:45AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I was offered a 1937 double sovereign gold proof in 67 grade (highest). However it seems that there are lots of cloudiness in the fields (perhaps after the coin got slabbed). Do you guys know what may have caused that? The dealer suggests a dip with PCGS restoration service could improve eye appeal but I’m not certain if that would help.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a similar issue with a proof silver coin which was not removable with acetone. Not sure what caused it, but probably a reaction to off-gassing from some holder. I sent it in for conservation ATS (which I was using at the time) and they remedied it beautifully.

So I agree that restoration could help.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is normal. Happens to proof gold. Probably on the coin when slabbed but only the original submitter would know. Most of the time it comes right off (see above). I'm sure PCGS will conserve it for you if you request the service and pay for it.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave it as it is. If you don't like it, sell it as it is and replace it with one you like... Seems you may have some time on your hands while you wait.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the coin bothers you in any way, don't go there. IIRC, there were about 5,000 sets produced with the gold, you should be able to find others to choose from. The fact that this is the highest graded, so far, does not mean that much - there has to be an equivalent coin out there in the wild.

Based on the slightly outof-focus image shown, this double sovereign coin would not bother me.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I'd leave it alone !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

An "imperfect" 82 year old coin - how dare it show its age! :D