Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photograde for Proof Coins possible?

First of all, I want to say Photograde has been extremely helpful in providing reference sets on multiple types of coins.

I’m wondering if the same thing could be done on proof coins? It could be hard as you would need to tilt the coin to some degree to see the reflections of the hairlines. But it will be super helpful to understand the difference between 65, 66, and 67 on a proof coin.

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. The key to grading proof coins is in identifying hairlines which may only show at certain angles. No 2D photo will contain enough information.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    No. The key to grading proof coins is in identifying hairlines which may only show at certain angles. No 2D photo will contain enough information.

Maybe it’s possible to show that under a gif as the coin could be tilted and you see the full picture

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

It really wouldn't be practical. It's pretty difficult to grade business strike coins from photos, however proofs are virtually impossible. Like cameonut mentioned grading proofs revolves largely around hairlines (or lack thereof) and that cant be accurately conveyed through a photo.

• Options
    redmoonredmoon Posts: 15
    edited March 22, 2019 10:55AM

@OwenSeymour said:
    It really wouldn't be practical. It's pretty difficult to grade business strike coins from photos, however proofs are virtually impossible. Like cameonut mentioned grading proofs revolves largely around hairlines (or lack thereof) and that cant be accurately conveyed through a photo.

How are actual graders trained in grading proof coins? I assumed there has to be reference sets to recalibrate their views once in a while?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file