Home U.S. Coin Forum

Circular Die Cracks on Coronet Head Large Cents

I recently purchased an 1853 Seated Quarter with rays and a cool circular die crack on the reverse (https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1014257/new-purchase-1853-rays-and-arrows-quarter-with-major-reverse-die-cracking#latest). It has gotten me intrigued about large circular die cracks. It appears to me that these are relatively common on Coronet Large Cents, especially the 1818 date(?). Why are these die cracks so common on this series?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Question. Cannot wait for an answer. IMO, it MUST have something to do with the annealing process.
    The spaces between the stars and letters are close. NOTE that all denominations (check out Morgan dollars) tend to crack between closely spaced recessed parts of the die.

In any case, the problem was with us into the 20th Century. Another thing. If you study every coin series, the dies tend to break at the same points Example: Washington Quarter. From beak, base of neck, down the wings.

That argues against my initial opinion. You would think by the lat 90's the Mint would have the die-making process down.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Insider2 said.

Cheers

Bob

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    What @Insider2 said.

Cheers

Bob

BUT I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER! :(

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

That may well be true, but since both of us were going to say the same thing, unless someone says different, we have a consensus... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file