Home Sports Talk

OK, since we're into "Firsts" with sports and music, how 'bout this.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

First concert!!

Mine was August 11, 1972 in the Akron Rubber Bowl.
Opening act was the Eagles on their first tour.
In the middle was a newly formed Jazz Fusion group, Mahavishnu Orchesra, supporting their first album The Inner Mounting Flame.
The Headliner was Yes in support of their new album Fragile.

Al H.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

1987 AC/DC Blow up your Video. 17 years old, Limo packed with about 10 of us. I supplied the bottles of booze and don’t remember a thing about it aside from getting a strange look from the limo Driver as I was getting into the back looking pregnant from all the bottles I had hid under my jacket. Think I had fun...

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it was either Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at Mile High Stadium in Denver in 1974 or 1975, Fleetwood Mac at University of Colorado stadium in Boulder in 1974 or 1975, or Chicago, Beach Boys and Elton John at Colorado State University stadium in Fort Collins in 1975.

Do not remember which one was first, but they were all great.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reo Speedwagon Pine Knob Michigan 1980. I turned 10 earlier in that month and it was my birthday present.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

jewel in 1996. and yes, I was with a girl.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

1974 Frank Zappa at Cobo Arena.

Check mate! B)

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most recent concert was last year in San Jose. Earth, Wind and Fire.

Amazing performance. Phillip Bailey at 67 or 68 still has a fantastic set of pipes.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially it was Sha na na. 1980ish with my family. I was maybe 5

First concert I bought tickets to, if I remember correctly, was Metallica/Guns n Roses/Faith No More in 1992 I believe.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 6:14PM

@craig44 said:
    jewel in 1996. and yes, I was with a girl.

I saw her topless in St Louis. We were manning the hot dog concession for Junior Football. While we were setting up in the afternoon I got lost and was wandering around aimlessly in the outdoor venue . She was sunbathing in between trailer pre concert. I didn’t realize it was her until she took the stage. Dayum

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 5:18PM

Alice Cooper as a wee lad in Detroit. 1974. He was from the same suburb my parents moved us to outside of Detroit

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

Boston at the Chicago Stadium 1977. Sammy Hagar opened.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foreigner was the opening act followed by Santana and The Rolling Stones at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia 1977. I was a young lad back then and that was the most beer cans I’ve ever seen.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sanction, concert number two was August 24th, 1973 at Cleveland Public Hall.

ZZ Top led the show. WOW!!! I've seen them five times including once in Row One, Center.
    Earth, Wind and Fire was second banana and really lit things up.
    Uriah Heep headlined during their peak and were marvelous.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was at the Philadelphia Civic Auditorium on Nov. 1, 1969, with Canned Heat, Santana, Chicago Transit Authority, and the Youngbloods. WOW! This was the same hall where the Philadelphia Orchestra performed, so you had all these tuxedoed 90-year-old ushers (well, they seemed that old to me back then) showing all the dashiki-wearing hippies to their seats amidst a veritable ocean of pot smoke. I don't remember what I was wearing but I sure remember I had a lot more hair than I do now!

It was an incredible concert but Carlos Santana absolutely lit the place up a couple of times.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 6:03AM

Grand Funk after their 2nd album....LOUD.

A band called Bloodrock opened and they were pretty good.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Police Rush Aerosmith not sure which was first.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member