Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1962 Sandy Koufax psa-8.5...

What are your thoughts on this Koufax? The word "Dodgers" has some purple or pink in part of the team name. I called and spoke to the seller and was told it is part of the card...and not a reflection. Do you think it is overgraded? It is not extraneous ink on the card just part of the printing process as I was also told.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the card.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

The 62 Koufax is a card that really has very little eye appeal in my opinion. I think the .5 is overrated in many cases....this is one of them.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I just did a quick search of eBay for PSA graded examples of this card. I didn't see any others with this flaw. Imo, spending that kind of money, I would hold off for a better example. I wouldn't want to spend good money for a card and be bothered by it's flaws

• Options

Thanks for the comments so far...I am now leaning to keeping my powder dry.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in agreement. I would pass on it.

• Options

I also was told by a Probstein staff member whom I spoke to that the card is closer to a psa-9 than a psa-8. Agree?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

It only has 4 watchers...red flag?

mint_only_pls
  • Options

At an 8.5...it is a Pop 1/1 w/not that many 9s.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 7:34AM

I'm assuming the "allure" of an 8.5 is that it might bump to 9 with a big payday?

Opener is 5K?

This 8 for a 1/3 of the opener isn't bad.

Overall?

The 8.5 centering would have to be much better for me to even open for 5K.

I'd wait for the nicest 8 I could find since my eye isn't good enough to really appreciate a .5 bump. Yes, I'm old and blind.

Mike
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I also was told by a Probstein staff member whom I spoke to that the card is closer to a psa-9 than a psa-8. Agree?

A good salesman will always talk up whatever they're trying to sell. Then, probably have a good laugh if somebody actually takes the hook.

• Options

Mike...

I don't think it would bump to a 9 because of the PD...but the allure is that it is 1/1 and Pop for a 9 is low as well.
    Thanks for your input.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I have to repeat to myself over and over that this card is overgraded...then my powder will remain dry.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I have to repeat to myself over and over that this card is overgraded...

I feel ya. I've been there many times. You see a card that you really want and need for your collection. However there's something holding you back because you know deep down it's overgraded. I've learned another one will always come along, possibly in lesser grade and have better eye appeal.

I've passed on many 10s that would be upgrades for my sets because my 9s look better. Early on in my collecting I would buy the flip and not the card. However, once you've been collecting graded cards for a while, you realize it's all about the card and not the opinion on the flip

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Monte

That’s a print defect that keeps many otherwise nice cards in lower grades holders. Who knows how this one actually got through.

You’re someone who feels that eye appeal is important. Your would constantly look at that card and be bothered by this issue.

On top of that, the price being asked is too high. Normally an 8.5 should be between 2x-3x of an 8 for low pop stars in that timeframe. The seller in this case is notorious for overpricing things on eBay to start out and letting them sit there for months. Just take a look at similar low pop cards that he has listed, e.g. 1971 Topps baseball PSA 9s and you’ll see the prices are at significant premiums to VCP.

There are quite a lot of high end stars available in several auction houses right now that don’t have any issues and are fairly priced. For me, I’d be going in one of those directions instead of chasing a card that I know I’d never really be satisfied with.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2019 10:11AM

Thx Dave and everyone for all the comments. This card does not have the eye appeal of a true 8.5. Coming to this board to convince me it is not a high end card w/great eye appeal...has save me a lot of money and grief. I too will pass!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 8.5 is the correct grade. Most 8s have some more white at the corners and are not centered that well. The purple miscoloring is likely what kept it from a 9. However in my opinion the print defect keeps it from being worth the normal multiple to an 8.5. Is it preferable to pay more for better centering and less wear on the borders when the discoloring on the Dodgers is there? Been looking at buying a ‘62 Koufax for a bit now and still waiting for the 8 that speaks to me. There are two nicer than usual 8s out on EBay right now. Both I think are a better trade-off than the 8.5 based on the price difference and I am probably the World’s biggest fan of the 8.5 grade.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I'd wait for the nicest 8 I could find

I agree with Mike. Wait for the 8.

Andy

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

IMHO registration/print issues will the be determining factor in bumping that card if that is your goal.

I know it's tough sitting on your hands waiting for the right one. Good cards seem to be MIA these days. Best thing to do is remove it from your watch list and move on if that is your decision stick with it.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte - just saw this thread and imo I would pass. The color in the Dodgers is not what they are stating, and the two bottom corners along with a few edges and the left side would do it for me. Cards looks more like a nice 7.5/8 without the label. Just my two cents - your mileage may vary.

KC

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 11:48AM

Is it just me, or is the card oddly cut? It looks like it's sitting flush on the bottom of the holder, but the left edge of the card does not move up the left edge of the holder in a parallel way.

Andy

• Options

ahopkins...

I noticed too that it appears to be oddly cut. The width at the top appears to be smaller than the width at the bottom of the card.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@ahopkins said:
    Is it just me, or is the card oddly cut? It looks like it's sitting flush on the bottom of the holder, but the left edge of the card does not move up the left edge of the holder in a parallel way.

If you look closely at the left bottom corner/edge area, it is slightly lifted in comparison to the right. The card is tilted in the slab just a touch, creating the illusion