Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Over production watering down RC values of some HOF'ers in their sport:

I'm not much of a Basketball card collector though I was looking into Shaquille O'Neill RC prices to find very low values with very high pop's . Ive also seen the same trend with Jaromir Jagr Hockey RC's...... Besides Shaq and Jagr who else if anyone would you put in this category?

Comments

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

any player whose RC falls between 1988 and .........today

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

Even in the junk era, you can find short printed (relatively) RCs. Topps Tiffany, Fleer Glossy, various parallel inserts, some short printed set inserts, etc.......and of course, locating PSA 10s of some of those junk cards can be pretty challenging/expensive.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

I understand what you are saying. Back in the late 80's and early 90's, whenever someone got selected to the HOF, their rookie card shot up to $200. I remember this with Jim Palmer, Rollie Fingers, etc.... So, when these modern guys make it, it amazes me that their cards are still under $1.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

David Robinson 1989 Hoops rookie card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the hockey side, there was a five year period where there are some all-time greats whose rookie cards remain absolutely worthless compared to the prices paid for modern rookies. HOF'ers like Martin Brodeur, Mike Modano, Dominik Hasek, Sergei Fedorov, Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg all have rookies that may top out at 100-200 dollars or so in PSA 10 for certain rookies, but can't realistically increase beyond basic inflation in the future due to the millions of cards that were produced.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2019 6:53AM

I think out of all of Shaquille O'Neal's cards the one that has room to grow and it has had a steady climb recently is his 1992 Topps Stadium Beam Team. It has a relatively low pop of 103 for the pack pull and 53 for the Members Only. It also a gorgeous card,

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I'm not much of a Basketball card collector though I was looking into Shaquille O'Neill RC prices to find very low values with very high pop's . Ive also seen the same trend with Jaromir Jagr Hockey RC's...... Besides Shaq and Jagr who else if anyone would you put in this category?

I have several Shaq cards and their populations are lower than Griffey Jr. in baseball. Lots more Griffey cards graded and higher prices. Basketball card collecting is not as popular, but has room to go. Shaq cards are a great value in my opinion (Duncan, KG, Kobe, Kidd) can all be had for low prices in PSA 10 condition.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect modern BKB anymore, but I think the Shaq rookies have room to move. I saw the Real Sports profile on Shaq and how he selects promotional partners. I think his collectibility will actually increase over time. He just partnered with Papa John so I expect his face to plastered all over the ads and pizza boxes.

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how Shaq selects his promotional partners: they ask him and he says "yes." That guy will endorse ANYTHING.

The pops on his Upper Deck base rookie are brutal. I think #1 sells for as much or more than Griffey #1.

Arthur

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    I think out of all of Shaquille O'Neal's cards the one that has room to grow and it has had a steady claim recently is his 1992 Topps Stadium Beam Team. It has a relatively low pop of 103 for the pack pull and 53 for the Members Only. It also a gorgeous card,

That Beam Team Members Only is really low pop for being in the overproduced era. I have one and really like it.

Because he plays a lot of silly roles in commercials, perhaps people forget how dominant Shaq was. One of the best, most dominant players I've ever seen. Sure, not as multi dimensional as a Kobe or Jordan, but in his prime, NOBODY could contain him in the paint.

I just love watching Chuck and Shaq go at it on TNT. Or Chuck's comments on Shaq among other things

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tgaPGMjNCBI

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

"ReggieCleveland Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ March 25, 2019 1:12PM
    This is how Shaq selects his promotional partners: they ask him and he says "yes." That guy will endorse ANYTHING.

The pops on his Upper Deck base rookie are brutal. I think #1 sells for as much or more than Griffey #1.

Arthur"

For what it's worth, the reason Shaq is a spokesperson for the General auto insurance is because he was speaking at an event for American Family Insurance years ago and discovered that American Family owned the General. The General happened to be the company that covered his Ford Bronco II back when he was in college and he was happy with their service.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15596424/shaquille-oneal-lands-auto-insurance-endorsement-general-insured-college-car

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thunderdan said:

@BPorter26 said:
    I think out of all of Shaquille O'Neal's cards the one that has room to grow and it has had a steady climb recently is his 1992 Topps Stadium Beam Team. It has a relatively low pop of 103 for the pack pull and 53 for the Members Only. It also a gorgeous card,

That Beam Team Members Only is really low pop for being in the overproduced era. I have one and really like it.

Because he plays a lot of silly roles in commercials, perhaps people forget how dominant Shaq was. One of the best, most dominant players I've ever seen. Sure, not as multi dimensional as a Kobe or Jordan, but in his prime, NOBODY could contain him in the paint.

I just love watching Chuck and Shaq go at it on TNT. Or Chuck's comments on Shaq among other things

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tgaPGMjNCBI

Dan those two crack me up. They're great together. BTW you are so right about the members only. I was fortunate to pull two Shaq's out of packs (one in 1993 and the other 2 years ago) with the most recently Shaq pull coming back a 10, which I still have. The members only set that I bought the Shaq came back a 9. As you probably know it's the last card in the factory set which causes chipping on the corners.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you are looking for valuable, rare cards, I would look at the late 90ś inserts and parallels. Those are where the big money and scarcity are.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember back in 1993 I purchased a magics all rookie team shaq and paid nearly $100 for it. I havent looked lately, but am pretty sure it was not a wise purchase.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think Shaq's Lakers inserts might be the best buy right now.

Mike
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shaq's classic auto rookies are pretty hot. He has 2 or 3 classic auto rookies with him in his LSU days.