Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bravo to the owner of the 1961 Wilt PSA 7 that PWCC sold tonight - a new record?

According to the PSA tool, I believe $4751 is the new record for this card in a PSA 7. The previous record was $4338. The last few before this one sold for $3400-$3500.

I was bidding when it was under $2000 and then dropped out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Fleer-Basketball-Wilt-Chamberlain-ROOKIE-RC-8-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/401726264228?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Mike

Comments

• Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 3:01AM

Certain cards did REALLY well in this recent PWCC auction. But many things either went for even money or considerably lower. I don't know if it's because places like REA, Mile High are doing their spring auctions and money is more thin. Or if it is because auctions ended on St Patty's Day when people are out drinking. But I took the biggest loss I ever have selling cards!

I paid via consignment on $8K and they don't mark paid/shipped unless they appraise for 175-200% of the total. So even they thought my stuff would do $14-16K worth. My final sales totals were only $9700 which means about $8300 after fees. Brutal to wind up with only $300 when projection was an extra $6-8K after balance paid and fees. I also lost HUGE on a few Probstein auctions as well.

**Even a 1973 PSA10 Nolan Ryan only went for $16K. Last few sales over 4-7 yrs were $19-23K and the pop has remained 6. So when pop doesn't increase, market usually appreciates over time.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 4:20AM

thats the beauty of auctions...two people want it and have some dollars to get it

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised it went for a record. It is a nice PSA 7 especially with the centering challenges but I didn't think it was a record setter,

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 10:33AM

@rdeffley said:
    Certain cards did REALLY well in this recent PWCC auction. But many things either went for even money or considerably lower. I don't know if it's because places like REA, Mile High are doing their spring auctions and money is more thin. Or if it is because auctions ended on St Patty's Day when people are out drinking. But I took the biggest loss I ever have selling cards!

I paid via consignment on $8K and they don't mark paid/shipped unless they appraise for 175-200% of the total. So even they thought my stuff would do $14-16K worth. My final sales totals were only $9700 which means about $8300 after fees. Brutal to wind up with only $300 when projection was an extra $6-8K after balance paid and fees. I also lost HUGE on a few Probstein auctions as well.

**Even a 1973 PSA10 Nolan Ryan only went for $16K. Last few sales over 4-7 yrs were $19-23K and the pop has remained 6. So when pop doesn't increase, market usually appreciates over time.

Oof. Very sorry to hear. Hopefully what you got was worth it.

Arthur

• Options

I was debating whether to list some high dollar stuff with PWCC for the last auction. I ultimately decided against once I started hearing the stories about the lower than expected refunds. I only watched the Wilt, so I don't know if I was correct.

Mike
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

I think we are seeing a spring time lull. Lots of options via all the major auction houses.
    I have a funny feeling modern BK or 90's "inserts" is influencing new money into that area of the hobby.
    Vintage Baseball might just be in a slump at the moment.
    As long as the overall economic market is stable the cards will continue to trend up.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I sold mine for about 5k a few months ago. Looked way better than that one.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Jordan 90s cards went bananas last night. Some of the highest or close to the highest prices on record

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@rdeffley said:

REA and MILE HIGH and LELANDS a couple of weeks

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an ugly OC Wilt especially for $4K plus. I'll take a lower graded centered Wilt all day long!!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

PWCC is bringing some cool stuff to market without a doubt. Consistently one of the best offerings on eBay.
    I think this is causing tunnel vision for bidders. Thus the strong prices.

I can't explain it any other way. :)

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. That Wilt imo was OC and did not have great eye appeal. Congrats to the seller and they got a great price for that example in that condition.

KC

• Options

I can understand the popular opinion being meh. I'm a centering snob too so I would prefer a lower grade card with better centering also. But putting centering aside, that is a DYNAMITE Chamberlain rookie.

There are 4 razor sharp corners and both side edges have the rough cut so you know those are natural corners. The registration and print job are probably the best I've ever seen on a '61 Wilt. That card looks like it was printed today and was the first strike.

I can very easily see how someone looked at that and thought it looked absolutely glorious and undergraded. I know I do.

Arthur

• Options

It just got topped at $5000, a new record. Looking at the last 5 sold, I do agree that the last two record setters are the best looking of the bunch.

I thought this card was undervalued when is sold in the mid-high $2000's a few years ago. It took a while but it looks like the market is coming around to my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-FLEER-WILT-CHAMBERLAIN-RC-ROOKIE-PSA-7-DEAD-CENTERED-LOOKS-LIKE-AN-8/202607525676?hash=item2f2c597f2c:g:MQEAAOSwjKtcc1Xe

Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That seller and I have a differing viewpoint on 'dead centered'.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching the WIlt 7 and couldn't believe what it went for. I agree the other technical components of the card are better than a 7, but I feel most people look at centering first for most cards. Makes me wish I didn't sell my 7 a couple years ago. The Oscar Robertson PSA 8 almost got to $5k too. That has to be a record on that card. When PWCC sold my set a couple years ago I had the same grades as the cards he sold in this past auction for the big dogs (Wilt 7, Oscar 8 and West 8). I was amazed at the prices achieved last night.

Steve
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2019 5:13PM

@rdeffley said:

Between, Probstein and PWCC it sounds like you had a rough go of it with this month's auctions. Maybe it is just what I collect, but almost everything I was watching went for crazy high prices, including the Wilt mentioned originally in this thread. I do collect basketball almost exclusively so maybe the vintage BB market is down this month and BK is hot. Vintage BK was on fire two nights ago and modern followed suit yesterday night. Usually, I will win three to four items per PWCC auction but this go around I only got one. Not bad for my budget, I will save it for next month.

Steve
  • Options

@slum22 said:
    I was watching the WIlt 7 and couldn't believe what it went for. I agree the other technical components of the card are better than a 7, but I feel most people look at centering first for most cards. Makes me wish I didn't sell my 7 a couple years ago. The Oscar Robertson PSA 8 almost got to $5k too. That has to be a record on that card. When PWCC sold my set a couple years ago I had the same grades as the cards he sold in this past auction for the big dogs (Wilt 7, Oscar 8 and West 8). I was amazed at the prices achieved last night.

I've been wanting to consign my 1975 BB Mini Box to PWCC for the past few auctions. Everytime I hold off, prices keep rising. I dread seller's remorse.

Mike
  • Options

Looking at that 7 and you’re right Arthur it has sharp corners and color, but the OC does not give it great eye appeal. My card has print issues, but the centering off sets that in my opinion.

• Options

@ndleo said:

@slum22 said:

I've been wanting to consign my 1975 BB Mini Box to PWCC for the past few auctions. Everytime I hold off, prices keep rising. I dread seller's remorse.

I know I have sold a lot of stuff over the year's. Certainly a lot of the high quality stuff I have sold has gone up after my sales, but I also think it is the cost of getting funds for the next card on my want list. That eases some of the pain.

Steve
  • Options

@BPorter26 said:
    Looking at that 7 and you’re right Arthur it has sharp corners and color, but the OC does not give it great eye appeal. My card has print issues, but the centering off sets that in my opinion.

Your 6 never fails to amaze. I am guessing that the print issues to the right of Wilt's left ear is what dropped your card to a 6. I guess I would have to see them both in hand but I feel l would pick your card over the 7 that sold for the same price despite the grade difference. Certainly when you factor in what I am sure would be a significant price difference, you came out well ahead.

Steve
  • Options

I will take this time to post my 6. I overpaid at the time for this card when I bought it in a private sale last year. Looks like I may not have overpaid anymore if these recent 7's are a measure of the rising tide. My only regret is not buying another Wilt RC before this week's sale.

Steve
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:

Your Wilt is pretty amazing. Hard to find one with centering that nice.

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I can understand the popular opinion being meh. I'm a centering snob too so I would prefer a lower grade card with better centering also. But putting centering aside, that is a DYNAMITE Chamberlain rookie.

There are 4 razor sharp corners and both side edges have the rough cut so you know those are natural corners. The registration and print job are probably the best I've ever seen on a '61 Wilt. That card looks like it was printed today and was the first strike.

I can very easily see how someone looked at that and thought it looked absolutely glorious and undergraded. I know I do.

Arthur

Agree with you Arthur. The corners and brightness of the borders are superb. I prefer better centering myself but if someone is not hung up on centering that is a great looking card.

• Options

Might as well post my PSA 6 Wilt. I overpaid for mine (so I thought at the time) but looking back I got it for a very good price. I snagged this back in 2015 if memory serves me correct.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

I bought this card last spring, and it was originally in an SGC 4.5 holder. It now resides in a PSA 5 holder.

• Options

I love all the Wilts in this thread. I don't think there needs to be a competition (not saying anyone here is making it that, just a general point). The PWCC 7 was obviously duked out by people that don't have centering as their #1 criteria. Most people do though (including myself), so you all are about to benefit greatly from the sale. Congrats! :)

Arthur

• Options

I don't think this was a competition on who has the nicer Wilt , but just to point out that lower graded cards have better eye appeal then some higher graded examples. I think the four Wilt's that have been posted knock that 7 out of the park in my opinion. Great cards 45isodd, Jbrules and Steve.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2019 8:15PM

Speaking of records. I believe this is another record setter that just closed.
    https://ebay.com/itm/1961-FLEER-WILT-CHAMBERLAIN-RC-8-PSA-4-5-DEAD-CENTERED-HIGH-END-ROOKIE-CARD/254169019457

• Options

Wow. Almost $2200 for 4.5. Very nice centering.

Did something recently come out on Wilt? Did ESPN do a 30/30 on him?

Mike