Home Sports Talk
Options

Guy has never played in MLB gets six-year, $43 million

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top outfield prospect Eloy Jimenez, who has yet to play a day in the major leagues, has agreed to a six-year, $43 million contract with the Chicago White Sox that includes two club options, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26316088/sources-chisox-jimenez-agree-record-deal

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The neighborhood around the Sox stadium can't get any worse.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 3:21PM

Probably dumb to commit to $7m a year when the new contracts call for $30m per.

Rookie agent mistake.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

Better to start with $7M/yr and go on to the HOF than $30M/yr and then have a career ending boo-boo within a year or two :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea that money is not bad at all if he turns into what they expect him to. Any way you look at it it’s a gamble but the reward is worth it the risk if it pans out

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1979 Magic Johnson signed a 20 year contract with the Lakers for a million a year. An incredible figure from a then moribund league. $7mm a year will look like Starbucks money in a few years. If the prospect is that talented, he blew it.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy oh boy oh boy, there had better be an awful lot of future sports betting suckers out there hissing away their money gambling on MLB games to help support these mega contracts. MLB is counting on it.

When legalized sports betting comes to your state, and chances are it will sooner rather than later, don't forget to bet big and bet often to help pay for these astronomical contracts.

You may lose your house, car, children's college tuition money, coin and card collection, etc, but at least you'll feel good knowing that your money went to a good cause of paying these player's salaries.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Boy oh boy oh boy, there had better be an awful lot of future sports betting suckers out there hissing away their money gambling on MLB games to help support these mega contracts. MLB is counting on it.

When legalized sports betting comes to your state, and chances are it will sooner rather than later, don't forget to bet big and bet often to help pay for these astronomical contracts.

You may lose your house, car, children's college tuition money, coin and card collection, etc, but at least you'll feel good knowing that your money went to a good cause of paying these player's salaries.

When Pigs Fly !!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

When Pigs Fly !!!

That's good Dimeman. 👍

I'd hate to see that beautiful coin collection you have wind up in a pawn shop.

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

When Pigs Fly !!!

That's good Dimeman. 👍

That.....and I sure wouldn't want to be banned from the HOF!!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

When Pigs Fly !!!

That's good Dimeman. 👍

I think you've got a good chance of getting into the CU Forum HOF one day.

Although I'm not sure if there is such a thing? 🤔

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

When Pigs Fly !!!

That's good Dimeman. 👍

I think you've got a good chance of getting into the CU Forum HOF one day.

Although I'm not sure if there is such a thing? 🤔

Gawd forbid I was the best EVER at something...….but OH MY GOODNESS I gambled!!!!!! No HOF for me!!!!

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually think more teams should consider doing this, if they feel they have a can't miss star on their hands. It's a gamble for the team and it's security for the player. It really is a win win for each party. The team is gambling that the player turns out to be a star, therefore this contract seems like a bargain for the team in the future, and at the same time the player is making a lot of money. But it is also security for the player in that if he gets seriously injured early on or he just doesn't pan out as planned, he still makes a lot of money. With rising contracts, teams need to take gambles like this in order to keep potential stars with their team longer than their rookie contracts.

He is only the 3rd player to receive a deal like this before even playing in the MLB. The last 2 were Jon Singleton and Scott Kingery. Kingery is only 1 year into his MLB career and looks like a decent young player, but it is unknown yet if the deal was smart or not. Jon Singleton is a prime example as to why a player would do a deal like this. He signed a 5 year deal for $10M guaranteed, that could have been up to $35M. He didn't pan out and was a bust as far as the Astros were concerned, but it was smart on his part because even though he sucked and didn't make it in the MLB, he still got $10M. That is life changing money and he got it even though he failed to live up to expectations. Say Singleton denies that contract and bets on himself to be great at the MLB level. Well he wouldn't have made that much money and he'd wish he'd taken that contract. It really is only positives for a player like Jimenez unless you look at it in a greedy way in a scenario that he turns out to be a superstar in 2 years.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)