Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The forum block feature

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would I not be able to see someone's posts, comment history or discussion history?
If a person blocks me, does it cause this?
I have no one blocked, but I have noticed a few times that I cannot see certain users comment history or comments.

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...I also have nobody blocked ;)

• Options
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure exactly what the block feature even does. I blocked one of the penny picture posters but their threads still appear. It would be nice if it at least blocked threads started by those you chose not to "see".

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is some type of problem with the program/software that PCGS is now using that must be in conflict with certain older web browsers and operating systems. I am on a 5-7 year old Lenova laptop with Windows 8 using the latest version of Internet Explorer --- the recent developments here meant that about all I could do with that set-up is post to a thread, nothing else works.

nothing changed here, so it must be on the PCGS server side of things. apparently many others were also affected in a similar way. I tried the "fixes" that the PCGS IT team suggested but they didn't work so I grudgingly switched to Google Chrome and am now back to normal.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Why would I not be able to see someone's posts, comment history or discussion history?
    I have no one blocked, but I have noticed a few times that I cannot see certain users comment history or comments.

It is not you. It is that member.

There are different levels of “bam.”

Some call it “gag.” They can log in but cannot post or interact. You may actually “see” them seeming to post a message but nothing appears. Usually, temporary and a warning.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Some call it “gag.” They can log in but cannot post or interact. You may actually “see” them seeming to post a message but nothing appears. Usually, temporary and a warning.

I don't know about this. I can't see mustangmambob posts at all. But others respond to them

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

I don't know about this. I can't see mustangmambob posts at all. But others respond to them

Click the agree, like, and/or lol buttons in their profile and you can see their last recognized posts.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Click the agree, like, and/or lol buttons in their profile and you can see their last recognized posts.

Thanks. Interesting, but not sure what it means

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Thanks. Interesting, but not sure what it means

Only thing I can see is... still around and not bammed.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can block members from your threads. They will show in a dim way, but their post text will not appear unless you click on it.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

no problems with chrome.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 6:09AM

The block feature does not eliminate the original post by the blocked member from the list of threads on the front page, nor does it eliminate that original first post in a thread. Otherwise, it works as @DIMEMAN said, it makes the blocked member's responses short (almost non-existent), dimmer and you will not be able to read any single post within a thread by that member unless you double-click on it.

You are limited to blocking only five members at a time, which is rather inconvenient.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so how do I block members??

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the same thing. ???

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have also seen the same thing, with that member as well as another. I think it is a system or software issue.

If you can figure it out, it aleast accurately quantify it, you might get the elusive Bug badge. ;)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    so how do I block members??

Go to member home page, click on little person dropdown arrow next to message link.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    there is some type of problem with the program/software that PCGS is now using that must be in conflict with certain older web browsers and operating systems. I am on a 5-7 year old Lenova laptop with Windows 8 using the latest version of Internet Explorer ---

:p

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any blocked either. I just pass over their post as well

• Options

@Aspie_Rocco if you message me I can look into this. To answer your question no, this software is nowhere near advanced enough to manage a system that would allow different user experiences.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually hire a private detective to find the offender and then go hunt them down. :#

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets, please don't block anyone.
    I think that says more about the blocker than it does about the blockee.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Keets, please don't block anyone.
    I think that says more about the blocker than it does about the blockee.

I'm blocking you. :)

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you blocking me doesn't prevent me from reading your stuff, ok- I can live with that.
    If you blocking me means I also am blocked from reading your stuff, please don't.
    Your musings on this forum is a main reason I like it here.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2019 3:08PM
  • Options

@Aspie_Rocco

Example of a “gag” type bam.

Noticed who posted in the above thread, but if you look in the thread there is no posts by that person. This happened recently to another person who was “gag” bammed a couple times but was subsequently fully bammed.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12274000#Comment_12274000
    This thread and the author are invisible to me, except when digging through notifications

Interesting. When I click on your link I see the thread and original post by the OP but none of his subsequent posts.

If the hammer is slowly coming down I suppose it is not a total surprise, but there is another poster who is more "prolific" than that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file