Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone else see the difference? 1982-D. 3.1g Small Vs Large Date

Clueless61469Clueless61469 Posts: 5
edited March 19, 2019 8:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey everyone/anyone/ someone/ you! I realize the chances are better of me sprouting wings and flying to neverland rather then me finding a small date copper Denver minted penny from 1982 but.....I cannot help but notice some real differences in the two 1982 D pennies weighing 3.11g I've attached a magnified picture of both. Note the distance from the rim on the end-stroke of the 2 as well as the curves in the lower portion of the two's. The size of the top circles of the 8's as well as the upper curve of the 9's and how they relate to the downstroke differently Also the position of the D mint mark. Of course a much more likely scenario...I'm seeing things that aren't there and need a special white coat! Thoughts??

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Thank you and yes I have access to similar numismatic images I was wondering if anyone else aside from me thought the pennies looked different, especially in the 2's&9's

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are large dates.

• Options

I appreciate the answers and I really think so too but I was curious if anyone else thought there were also differences between the large date variety. I'm not concerned with them having value except to me.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a white raincoat does the trick so to keep dry , said Peter ! I have one but its too large. Lol %

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clueless61469 said:
    I appreciate the answers and I really think so too but I was curious if anyone else thought there were also differences between the large date variety. I'm not concerned with them having value except to me.

Cannot see what you are referencing. Can you point it out?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clueless61469 said:

There are some slight differences in appearance. But if you start looking at that, you won't find 2 cents that look alike in circulated grades.

When coins wear, the features will flatten out which can make the shape appear to be different.

When coins are struck, the dies wear down and that will cause the actual shape to change slightly in some cases.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's quite simple. The date on the small date coin is smaller that the date on the large date coin.

You're welcome.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 5:12AM

Actually, at a quick glance, there doesn't appear to be any difference save the tail and the top on the "2"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file