Home Q & A Forum

How many here have built their own website

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This old dog is looking into building a website. Just curious of the experiences of others.

Has anyone tried using sites such as spotify, godaddy or the likes?

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so hi-tech, that there has been a placeholder on my website for fifteen years.

I don't know the first thing about web design.

www.sailonly.com

www.thebudgetsailor.com

Cheers

Bob

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! That is probably what I will end up like!

@Outhaul said:
    I am so hi-tech, that there has been a placeholder on my website for fifteen years.

I don't know the first thing about web design.

www.sailonly.com

www.thebudgetsailor.com

Cheers

Bob

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I built a retail site (for marine electronics) using GoDaddy. It was a pretty slick interface including inventory management and payments. There are a few companies that offer packaged services like that.

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    Some years ago I built a retail site (for marine electronics) using GoDaddy. It was a pretty slick interface including inventory management and payments. There are a few companies that offer packaged services like that.

My host provides that service, but it requires my involvement. I'm just too damned lazy.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've built a couple web sites using simple HTML.

I also have a storefront web site on a Network Solutions eCommerce platform (with shopping cart and everything).
    I only have to upload the content (pictures and descriptions) and choose all the site settings.
    It costs about $1,200 a year but it works pretty well and it is convenient.

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my own site. I believe we may have talked about it a little bit at shows. It was designed completely by my wife and I and neither one of us had experience with building a site before. It was quite easy > @amwldcoin said:

This old dog is looking into building a website. Just curious of the experiences of others.

Has anyone tried using sites such as spotify, godaddy or the likes?

If you want help building one I can walk you through the harder steps to it with some tricks I learned to make it easier

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Winged Liberty designed mine which is hosted by Go Daddy. I used it for personal use, not business. I would rather host my own photos at high resolution than use photo bucket or any of the other sites that host photos.
    http://www.robecsimages.com

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://errorcoins.auctivacommerce.com

I use Auctiva Commerce, super easy pre-made pages with different themes, shopping cart, link to paypal.

My site is making money.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not retail, I built my own site. I used FrontPage Express which was simple once I got the hang of it.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did back in early 90's in class but not since. I always use the canned software packs to do it now. way easier

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that for lots of us, we don’t have a good idea of how we want our web site to present itself. Some questions that have stumped me (and I’m an IT professional):

• what message on my front page
    • what sections do I want
    • shall the text go with thumbnails or pop ups
    • grid, vertical list, horizontal list or pull down menu

I’m a hobbyist, so I’m looking to do this on the cheap (time and money). And thus I’ve not done it yet.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard good things about SquareSpace

https://www.squarespace.com/pricing#commerce