Home Sports Talk
Options

Martellus Bennett cracks me up

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

So he announces that he will not return to Football because he is trying to inspire young black kids, he comes out with a book called “Dear Black Boy” to reach out to these kids that witness bad things ect.. and wants to inspire them. Ok well I get that you want to only reach out to Black kids but why not all kids? And why is he posting retirement pics on instagram with him smoking weed? Kinda confused me a bit about his “Message” https://www.theroot.com/dear-black-boy-you-can-fly-even-when-you-can-t-run-sh-1832106626/amp.

Comments

• Options

I really liked the guy as a Patriot but does he not understand that drugs are where it all begins for young kids to head down the wrong path?

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine the outrage if this was wanting to reach out to just white kids.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@softparade said:
    Imagine the outrage if this was wanting to reach out to just white kids.

His racist brother would disown him immediately.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely agree with all the comments.

Marijuana is NOT the safe harmless weed that too many out there who are either addicted to it or selling it are espousing.

I could do a dissertation on this, but not here. Suffice to say that Martellus Bennett should be ashamed of himself equating that picture with his book promotion.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

pot is much better for people than alcohol , the only ones that would disagree are probably drunk right now :D

• Options

@Huckleberry said:
    Well, then let me do the dissertation for you then stevek.
    First off, marijuana is a drug that leads to the use of other drugs like cocaine, meth, crack, you name it. I have personally seen this scenario. Second, people smoke it and then drive a car. People have actually been in car accidents and died because of this. Third of all people get strung out on it, and care about nothing but smoking it. Marijuana is not the safe harmless little drug people think it is. Once you get hooked on it, it becomes some peoples entire life. Just like any other drug it will take over your life. Everyday will revolve around getting your fix. I have personally seen this scenario. If people choose to use it for medical needs, I get that.

I completely agree with ya.

It goes even deeper than that with the health effects, and it bugs the living yell out of me when i read nonsense such as nobody ever died from smoking marijuana. That premise is absolutely false, and I'll leave it at that.

BTW - You mentioned the car accidents. A guy who hung around with us in our high school group, i wasn't friends with him, but we were friendly, dated some of the same girls at different times, etc. I was in the drinking crowd for the most part and he was in the "smoking" crowd for the most part. Although at various parties and such, all of us mingled together. Anyway, this guy was often stoned on marijuana, and one day I heard that he was pulling out of a gas station, a road area I know very well, and it's easy to misjudge oncoming traffic even when you're wide awake alert, so you need to be extremely careful that all traffic clears before pulling out on to the roadway. Well we found out that he was pulling his van out from the gas station, and an 18 wheeler pancaked him. He died instantly, crushed to death. We all know what happened and why it happened but of course the death was (falsely in my opinion and everyone else's opinion) not attributed to marijuana.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    pot is much better for people than alcohol , the only ones that would disagree are probably drunk right now :D

that is a silly argument. neither is good. the lesser of two evils is still evil. it is like saying getting it by a baseball bat hurts less than getting hit by an 8 pound sledge hammer. well guess what, I dont want to get hit by either.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I have never understood why people desire to enter an intoxicated state where they are not fully in control of their own faculties. it doesnt seem an enjoyable thing to me at all. people make enough mistakes when sober, why exacerbate the situation with chemicals?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

that is a silly argument. neither is good. the lesser of two evils is still evil. it is like saying getting it by a baseball bat hurts less than getting hit by an 8 pound sledge hammer. well guess what, I dont want to get hit by either.

In my view, I would like to see folks have an informed choice. And without a doubt, they are not getting that informed choice with marijuana.

In fact, the propaganda out there from the cannabis industry is just as bad, if not worse, as the tobacco industry of the 1950's, touting how safe it use to use marijuana.

• Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

In my view, I would like to see folks have an informed choice. And without a doubt, they are not getting that informed choice with marijuana.

In fact, the propaganda out there from the cannabis industry is just as bad, if not worse, as the tobacco industry of the 1950's, touting how safe it use to use marijuana.

wait till the fed gov. makes recreational pot legal and it becomes BIG business. then we will see broad based clinical trials and testing for the effects smoking pot has on lung cancer. the results are somewhat inconclusive now, but just wait. I have a feeling it will be very similar to cigarettes. Pot smoke is typically inhaled deeper and for longer duration than cigarette smoke. it is also smoked at higher temperature. these factors are increasing exposure to tar and CO2.

according to the ALA, Pot smoke does contain some similar toxins and carcinogens as cigarette smoke. It has also been linked to bronchitis and asthma as well as prostate, testicular and ovarian cancer. it will all come out when the FDA has to start testing and regulating and put warnings on packages.

seems like a nice harmless little drug huh...

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

He's a waste of space and that's a shame because he's obviously talented. When he came into the league with the cowboys he was touted as the next great tight end in Dallas. All he did was underwhelm year after year. Seeing him smoking weed like that, it all makes sense now.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

@bronco2078 said:

wait till the fed gov. makes recreational pot legal and it becomes BIG business. then we will see broad based clinical trials and testing for the effects smoking pot has on lung cancer. the results are somewhat inconclusive now, but just wait. I have a feeling it will be very similar to cigarettes. Pot smoke is typically inhaled deeper and for longer duration than cigarette smoke. it is also smoked at higher temperature. these factors are increasing exposure to tar and CO2.

according to the ALA, Pot smoke does contain some similar toxins and carcinogens as cigarette smoke. It has also been linked to bronchitis and asthma as well as prostate, testicular and ovarian cancer. it will all come out when the FDA has to start testing and regulating and put warnings on packages.

seems like a nice harmless little drug huh...

Equally as important is the naivete, intentional or otherwise, of those who think using a drug which makes your heart beat like a rapid fire machine gun isn't going to affect the heart, and using this drug isn't going to affect the overall healthy balance of the body?

It's obvious what any drug such as this will do to the filtering organs such as the liver and kidneys. But I've seen over the years many prolific marijuana users develop nasty cancers such as pancreatic cancer, and they never attribute it to marijuana. Is there really any doubt that using a drug such as this will create imbalances in the body in so many different ways, that certain organs will have to work harder and differently to adjust to this, and cancers can occur.

This isn't about not eating the right foods which we all know can cause health problems. This is about a hard core drug. It is preposterous to believe that this drug cannot cause all sorts of malignancies and disease throughout the body. And in fact many medical websites do point out the dangers in various ways, although some of them are behind the learning curve.

The evidence is all out there, quite easy to see and understand, but the cannabis industry and THC addicts refuse to acknowledge it.

If society wishes to legalize this dangerous drug, that's fine by me. I'm against legalization, however i'm not for a nanny state. I'm sure there will be laws in place regarding driving, children, etc. But don't lie to the public and tell everyone that marijuana is safe, because that's what it is, a bald faced lie.

• Options

@stevek said:

reefer madness :D

You kew one guy who possibly died driving high. Meanwhile drunks kill 50,000 a year on the highway .

• Options
    edited March 20, 2019 9:38AM

I haven’t smoked weed since July of 1996 so I don’t have a horse in the race except that I’m not against an adult choosing to enjoy it if they are being responsible however I’m against kids using it. A lot of my friends do it and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get an occasional contact high at some poker games, but my buddies that do it are all healthy responsible adults who hold good jobs ect. Moderation is key, anything more than that yout setting yourself up for failure one way or another.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I haven’t smoked weed since July of 1996 so I don’t have a horse in the race except that I’m not against an adult choosing to enjoy it if they are being responsible however I’m against kids using it. A lot of my friends do it and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get an occasional contact high at some poker games, but my buddies that do it are all healthy responsible adults who hold good jobs ect. Moderation is key, anything more than that yout setting yourself up for failure one way or another.

same here , I quit in the 90's .

• Options

driving while intoxicated was mentioned earlier. I take a really hard line stance on that topic. it is 100% a choice to either drink or ingest drugs to the point that one is intoxicated and not completely in control of their faculties. if that person then decides to drive a motor vehicle and put innocent motorists/pedestrians at risk, I take a one strike and you are out approach. no more drivers licence. ever. I would not be averse to slapping an attempted murder charge to every person convicted of DUI. every person who makes the choice to drive in that condition is putting my children, friends and family at risk. Driving is not a right. they are driving a 3-5,000 pound bullet.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

reefer madness :D

You kew one guy who possibly died driving high. Meanwhile drunks kill 50,000 a year on the highway .

Yea, so let's legalize marijuana and go for 100,000 :(

• Options

@perkdog said:

I wish i could sit in on that poker game with those getting high and drinking. They might as well just wear fish masks with a sign on their shirt saying, everybody take my money. 🤣

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    He's a waste of space and that's a shame because he's obviously talented. When he came into the league with the cowboys he was touted as the next great tight end in Dallas. All he did was underwhelm year after year. Seeing him smoking weed like that, it all makes sense now.

I live in the Dallas area. Every year during training camp they would talk about his incredible potential.

As a lifelong Patriots fan, I like that he helped us out. But it does seem like he underachieved based on those early days training camp stories I would hear about.