Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Good until canceled....Ebay

MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Started today. I contacted ebay to see if there is anyway it can be turned off, it cannot. Rep said SEVERAL complaints today about no other fixed price options.

Comments

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 10:36AM

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Havent noticed this yet. Im still hating the automatic listing of Best Offer on auctions where the minimum bid is double the going price and the seller has no intention of accepting any offer

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I believe that most people only use their 50 free listings per month. When eBay runs a listing special many of those same people will increase their listing amount to match the special (if they can).

My guess is that eBay is hoping that if you take advantage of a listing special for 100 extra free listings (now you have 150 listings with the free 50 you get), that when the 30 days is over you wont cancel the extra 100 listings and let the whole 150 listings ride (minus the ones that sold) thus drumming up "forced" extra business.

If you are diligent and cancel all auctions over the free 50 at the end of the 30 days you wont pay any additional listing fees. Yes it's extra work, but you're not breaking rocks in the hot sun.

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 7:11PM

It’s for fixed priced items not auction. I’m thinking the same thing with the free listings Ztarg.

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain what the talk is all about with Good until cancelled? I use it. Sometimes my stuff sell, and if they don't, I will end/cancel after 2 months. Am I missing something?

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

eBay...In your wallet twice (shipping), bumping up fees, charging more for certain categories (cd's for instance...over 12%!) forcing sellers to pay for returns to keep Top Seller status(Power Seller was removed due to aggressive wording!) Now GTC! This company has done nothing but make it harder to sell on it's platform since day one forcing the seller into a corner to look to other outlets to sell their wares.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@StamkosFan said:
    Can someone explain what the talk is all about with Good until cancelled? I use it. Sometimes my stuff sell, and if they don't, I will end/cancel after 2 months. Am I missing something?

People who use eBay to consistently list between 1 and 50 items a month will only be affected if they start those listings on the 1st of the month in which that month has 31 days. To me, that's really the only thing they have to look out for.

Example - Let's say that I use my 50 free listings on January 1st. Before yesterday my listing choice would always be 30 day fixed price instead of good til cancelled. With the now defunct 30 day fixed price choice my listings would have ended on January 30th, and needed action from me to be relisted (whenever I want).

With the new "forced" choice of good til cancelled they will end on January 30th and automatically renew on January 31st before my new 50 free listings for February have arrived, thus causing me to pay $15 in listing fees (50 X 30 cents each).

So if you are a seller like I mentioned above who never lists more than 50 cards at any time, just start your first batch of listings on the 3rd day of any month to be sure not to run into the scenario I described above.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 6:16AM

@psychump said:
    eBay...In your wallet twice (shipping), bumping up fees, charging more for certain categories (cd's for instance...over 12%!) forcing sellers to pay for returns to keep Top Seller status(Power Seller was removed due to aggressive wording!) Now GTC! This company has done nothing but make it harder to sell on it's platform since day one forcing the seller into a corner to look to other outlets to sell their wares.

e-bay is a last resort for me buying and a dead last resort for selling. Although, I don’t sell much now, that table will turn down the road and I’m pretty certain that I won’t be using e-Bay.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Utter rubbish. I thought this wasn't supposed to take effect until 4/1? I had a 200 free listings offer that was good through yesterday and got a bunch relisted last night that I'll now have to make sure I cancel in 30 days.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

This is a major headache and money grab for anyone who is more than an occasional seller. I suspect this ends badly for EBay in a class action suit. Just wait until all the sellers who don’t read the fine print get their bill at the end of the month for all the listings they didn’t approve. Meanwhile, the best workaround seems to be auction style only unless you want to manually cancel listings every day. I am speaking to the sellers who list hundreds of items a month. EBay is just shooting themselves in the foot as this will definitely result in fewer items for sale overall on the site. Sellers might be willing to put the work in to sell something as a free listing, but 25 or 35 cents every 30 days adds up and isn’t worth it for lower priced items.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Same here Kyle.

So regarding the the good till cancelled, the listings will obviously renew till they sell or are cancelled. Say you finally sell a card that has renewed one or more times, are there additional fees in addition to the final value fees?

I'm pretty sure I remember eBay charging additional fees on listings that auto renew once they sell. I'm just wondering if that's the case for "good till cancelled"as well?

• Options

I noticed that BIN listings that I listed or relisted on the mobile app automatically select Good Til Cancelled as the length of time. When I called to question it, the rep told me it was a glitch on their mobile app. If you list or relist on the website, you can chose which length you want. I had to end and relist all of my items at that time to correct that. Funny thing is that was months ago and it still happens today. I have done app updates at least twice since then. Guess it really wasn't a glitch after all.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2019 7:34PM

@bigdogparty said:
    I noticed that BIN listings that I listed or relisted on the mobile app automatically select Good Til Cancelled as the length of time. When I called to question it, the rep told me it was a glitch on their mobile app. If you list or relist on the website, you can chose which length you want. I had to end and relist all of my items at that time to correct that. Funny thing is that was months ago and it still happens today. I have done app updates at least twice since then. Guess it really wasn't a glitch after all.

Yep that also happened to me which made me always list on my laptop instead of the mobile app

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Had no idea about this change. Went to relist 2 items on PC and yep, "Good Til Cancelled" is the only option. Ugh.