Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian cents

I have a box of cents from Canada. Ideas on what to look for and send to be graded?? Thx peeps

Comments

• Options
    OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming you're talking about large cents? Anything uncirculated, 1858s, 1859 varieties, 1891 Small Dates.

• Options

The oldest I have is 1950. Some magnetic also. Does Canada have double die or rare coins?

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Nearly all Elizabeth and late George one cent coins carry very little value, unless they are high grade or a scarce variety. Go to the CoinsandCanada coin site and take a look .. you'll get some full retail prices, as well as any known varieties. Unless you have a coin that retails for about $200, it's not worth sending it anywhere to be graded. Just get some 2X2.s and start stapling and note the grade (the CaC site will show you how to estimate it), approx mintage, and if it has any increased value from a "normal" coin. Every time that you shake the box, you are putting more dings and scratches on the coins.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the 1923 and 1925 dates were scarce, if I remember correctly. I don't know of any newer ones that were scarce. There was a 1947 coin that was extremely valuable because of a dot, I think - but I don't remember what denomination it was.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OboneObone Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I think that the 1923 and 1925 dates were scarce, if I remember correctly. I don't know of any newer ones that were scarce. There was a 1947 coin that was extremely valuable because of a dot, I think - but I don't remember what denomination it was.

1922-26 were all key dates for the small cents, with the 1923 and the 1925 being especially valuable. The 47 dot was the nickle, it the 1936 dot cent that is super expensive and rare.

• Options
    TRTR Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

There is one coin in the 50's, I think the 1955 that doesn't have a shoulder strap on the Queen's gown that is worth around $200. I believe CoinsandCanada website has a picture of it. I have a couple of them and had PCGS certify them.

• Options
    jsw600jsw600 Posts: 17 ✭✭

These are the only Canadian coins I have. The cellophane and cardboard dust subtract from their actual look.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Good that you have BOTH 1900's. The one without the H mintmark is worth 2-3 times more than the "H".