Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pack Opened or Unopened - Pics Added

mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of way to know with any certainty if a pack has been opened and resealed? Also, does BCCE look at packs and not grade, but say it has been unopened?

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, there are tell tale signs if a pack has been opened. With wax packs, for example, you want to see clean and uninterrupted roller marks across the seal on back of the pack. You want to check the corner folds, as well. Those tight triangles on the corners are very difficult to replicate once a pack has been opened. Check also for any odd or out of place wrinkles or creasing in the wax pack wrapper. The size of the gum, depending on the year, is a key factor, too, as Topps gum from the 70s, for example, was much wider than the sticks of gum Topps used later on in the 80s and pack resealers will typically buy cheap non sports wax from that era to use the gum.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Thanks. I will check this when I receive my pack.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did ya get?

Andy

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it makes it to my house, I can guarantee it will be opened and not-resealed.

• Options

I'm getting a 57 Topps football 5 cent pack. Don't want to spend $200 and wait 3 months to find out it not un opened.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Post very good pics of the pack from all angles here and I bet a lot of our esteemed unopened experts on these boards (like Grote15) would be able to give you a good opinion on the pack.

Steve
  • Options

Not the best pics but here is pack in question. All opinions welcome.

PackManInNC
  • Options

The lines seen on top part of back are from sleeve it is in.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tear in the lower right reverse corner is concerning.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 6:01PM

What's the psa population for these? if it grades its probably a psa 4 or 5.

• Options

Are these the seller's pics or yours? If you have the pack in hand I would take the pack out of the sleeve and take pictures of the sides so you can see the corner folds of the pack. Getting an angled picture of the back of the pack in the right light might also provide some clues on the roller lines.

Steve
  • Options

Good question. It says wax pack total POP 12 and wax pack five cent POP 4. What is the difference between wax pack and wax pack 5 cent?

PackManInNC
  • Options

They are my pics. I just don't know how to take good pics of the sides. Where would I look for roller lines. And thanks again for the work you have done on the break.Thanks.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to say but I think it might be good. You can also see dirt on the back that seems to flow. And the gum looks to have been damp or moist at one time and I wouldnt think that would be with a searched pack most of the time. Hard to tell but def has a shoot at legit. Show pics from the side corner folds from an angle as well. hold the pack in your hand and take pics of the edges in your hand.

• Options

@mexpo75 said:
    I'm getting a 57 Topps football 5 cent pack. Don't want to spend $200 and wait 3 months to find out it not un opened.

If you only spent $200 for this pack then I think its providence is probably about as questionable as it can get.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72Collector said:

@mexpo75 said:

If you only spent $200 for this pack then I think its providence is probably about as questionable as it can get.

I think the $200 was in reference to the grading fee this pack would require.

• Options

No I was saying to send it in to get slabbed would end up costing close to $200.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    72Collector72Collector Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 3:44PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@72Collector said:

@mexpo75 said:

I think the $200 was in reference to the grading fee this pack would require.

You're right..that makes a lot more sense than thinking he only paid $200 for the pack.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2019 4:09PM

@handyman said:
    Tough to say but I think it might be good. You can also see dirt on the back that seems to flow. And the gum looks to have been damp or moist at one time and I wouldnt think that would be with a searched pack most of the time. Hard to tell but def has a shoot at legit. Show pics from the side corner folds from an angle as well. hold the pack in your hand and take pics of the edges in your hand.

This is an example of a picture of the corner folds.

ETA: Not my packs or hand, lol

Steve
  • Options

The seal on back looks good but I'd like to see close up pics of the corner folds to make a better determination on authenticity. The roller lines should be uninterrupted and not melted on back.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I do like the overall look and appearance of the pack and my initial impression is that it is a legit pack. Corner folds should be tight.

• Options

I have tried to get corner pics, but I cant figure out how to get from phone to computer. The corner folds are tight.

PackManInNC
  • Options

@mexpo75 said:
    I have tried to get corner pics, but I cant figure out how to get from phone to computer. The corner folds are tight.

I would submit the pack based on that fact. It is definitely worth the upside. The gum does appear to be broken though so hopefully that won't be an issue.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

Andy

• Options

The gum is broken up. Will this hurt grade a lot?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this pack as hard to find as surrounding years? I ask because I’ve noticed that the wrapper from this year seems to be very common.

• Options

I think its fairly hard to come by because of so many HOF RC cards (Starr, Unitas, Hornung) Not sure about surrounding years.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

1959 and 1960 fb nickel packs are tougher to find.

• Options

@mexpo75 said:
    The gum is broken up. Will this hurt grade a lot?

PSA would often return unholdered packs with loose or broken gum due to potential wrapper damage in transit but with the newer holders that issue is not nearly as problematic as it once was and that practice has been eased up accordingly, though I would still categorize broken gum as a possible concern.