Home Sports Talk
Options

most amazing rock video

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2019 6:55AM in Sports Talk

gotta be this , edgar winter starts on keyboard , plays a sax, then jumps to drums for a drum battle then back to keyboard , then fiddles knobs on the amps , then back to keyboard , then a final drum battle and no one sings at any point. And look at little rick derringer in the goofy skin tight shiny outfit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metallica "One", G 'N' R "Paradise City", Bon Jovi "Wanted Dead or Alive" were all staples of my youth. Motley Crew "Home Sweet Home" is probably the one that started it all for me back in the MTV days. This is an updated Motley Crew video of that song, released in stadium before Game 1 of the 2014 World Series, and my tongue in cheek homage to the other threads with George Brett and rock stars.

https://youtu.be/EMmPpbevQ2Y

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up on 90ś music. It was all depressing and bleak. I listen to talk radio now. also depressing and bleak

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Here ya go.

All that talent and that's the garbage they come up with?

And the audience pretending that they like it.

It's known as too old to rock and roll.

Too many cooks spoil the broth and it's so true in music.

They should have just played Layla, would have been infinitely better with Clapton and Harrison on the same stage. The song about Clapton wishing to steal Harrison's wife. Maybe a fist fight would have broken out. That would have livened things up a little bit. 🤣

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 – We Can Work it Out (The Beatles)

Considered to be the first music video to broadcast on television. The Beatles were already making some very popular full feature movies and were looking for a way to promote their record releases without having to make in-person appearances (primarily the USA). The concept is fairly straight forward and was meant to blend in with the television shows that were being made at the time.

https://youtu.be/Qyclqo_AV2M

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Considered to be the first music video to broadcast on television. The Beatles were already making some very popular full feature movies and were looking for a way to promote their record releases without having to make in-person appearances (primarily the USA). The concept is fairly straight forward and was meant to blend in with the television shows that were being made at the time.

The lip syncing was "spectacular."

They didn't even try to fake it properly using non-plugged in microphones. 🤣

• Options
    edited March 18, 2019 3:14PM

@Huckleberry said:
    Rolling Stones- One hit to the body. I like near the end when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards get in eachothers face for a second. They have a rocky relationship as we all know.

If the Stones never existed the world of rock and Roll would be better off. Prolific but and endless stream of dreck.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 3:54PM

I remember seeing this as a young young kid. It was very confusing but nevertheless I wanted to dress like this for Halloween that year. My Mom said ask your Dad. My Dad grounded me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jsezr0qiFIc

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2019 4:15PM
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I remember seeing this video as a young young kid. It was very confusing but nevertheless I wanted to dress like this for Halloween that year. My Mom said ask your Dad. My Dad grounded me

m

I've seen Todd Rundgren music sold in some home supply stores as an effective way to safely remove rats, mice, spiders, flies, roaches, bedbugs, ants, and other pests from the home.

Just place the CD in your computer, turn up the sound, and the vermin will scatter away trying to get away from the dreadful noise.

It's supposed to work well. If I ever have a rodent or insect infestation in my home, i may try it.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I > @Coinstartled said:

@Huckleberry said:
    Rolling Stones- One hit to the body. I like near the end when Mick Jagger and Keith Richards get in eachothers face for a second. They have a rocky relationship as we all know.

If the Stones never existed the world of rock and Roll would be better off. Prolific but and endless stream of dreck.

WOW I cannot believe you actually feel that way. The Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Hey.....it was a first!

Loved John's mugging for the camera.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

WTF? Like all bands they have their fair share of dreck, but they also produced some of the greatest songs in rock history. Sympathy for the Devil, Bitch, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get What You Want, It's Only Rock and Roll, Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking: if you see dreck anywhere in that list your dreck-meter is busted.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Hey.....it was a first!

Loved John's mugging for the camera.

Yes a first, of course you're right. :)

However, they did seriously look like they didn't want to do it.

John said in some interviews, after the Beatles break-up, that the Beatles often "sold out" for money over artistry, and I'd be sure this video was one of those times he had in mind.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

WTF? Like all bands they have their fair share of dreck, but they also produced some of the greatest songs in rock history. Sympathy for the Devil, Bitch, Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get What You Want, It's Only Rock and Roll, Brown Sugar, Can't You Hear Me Knocking: if you see dreck anywhere in that list your dreck-meter is busted.

Agreed!

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

In fairness to the Stones, my ears were never really tuned into the simplicity of Rock music. Grew up listening to classical and big band music. Pre Beatles and Brit invasion the world was filled with quality voices like Nat Cole, The Platters, the Japanese Sukiyaki guy and Elvis was quite a balladeer when he slowed down enough.

Took some extra effort for a rock group to make it into my record collection. Was a Beatles fan before they went full stoner (though I appreciate that stuff as well now). Favorite groups had an acoustic presence (Chicago, Procol Harum, Moody Blues). Flat out great musicians (Clapton, Knopler and Page) made the cut as well. Leon Russel should stand alone on the Mt Rushmore of music.

Stones were always radio fodder. Sometimes you left it on. Sometimes you turned it off, sometimes you turned it up. Only "Angie" and "Wild Horses" got turned up.

I guess they had two decent tunes.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Stones were always radio fodder. Sometimes you left it on. Sometimes you turned it off, sometimes you turned it up. Only "Angie" and "Wild Horses" got turned up.

Ironically, had I named Stones songs that lit up my dreck-meter, Angie would have been at the top of the list. No, second, after Waiting on a Friend. But I think I see your problem. You're turning up the songs that are meant to be played softly, and playing softly the songs that are meant to be turned up. Angie probably sounds as strange cranked up as It's Only Rock and Roll does not being cranked up.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

As always your points are valid DA.

This is the stuff that red lines the meter.

https://youtu.be/7uAUoz7jimg

• Options
    edited March 18, 2019 6:18PM

More funk than Rock, but hey, Tower opened for the Rolling stones in the mid 70's.

https://youtu.be/SN8pWdZhVaM

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

Ironically, had I named Stones songs that lit up my dreck-meter, Angie would have been at the top of the list. No, second, after Waiting on a Friend. But I think I see your problem. You're turning up the songs that are meant to be played softly, and playing softly the songs that are meant to be turned up. Angie probably sounds as strange cranked up as It's Only Rock and Roll does not being cranked up.

Other than some absolute pure dreck on the album "Their Satanic Majesties Request", the song Angie is definitely one of the worst Stones songs ever. Like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

As was previously mentioned, every songwriter puts out some dreck from time to time. The public can be very fickle. What may sound good in the studio, can be a disaster to the public's taste when it's released.

• Options

Tough crowd. I say the Stones are dreck and then later hand out an olive branch noting two reasonable decent tunes. One is shot down as dreck by the next two contributors.

Well you guys are right, it is a dreck song and wild horses is maybe a notch above dreck.

Jagger should have stuck with economics. The Tories could have used the help.

• Options

Great combo soul/classical connect. Preston was a skilled keyboardist.

https://youtu.be/Oc6JiKGkjvs

• Options

@stevek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

Other than some absolute pure dreck on the album "Their Satanic Majesties Request", the song Angie is definitely one of the worst Stones songs ever. Like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

As was previously mentioned, every songwriter puts out some dreck from time to time. The public can be very fickle. What may sound good in the studio, can be a disaster to the public's taste when it's released.

Child of the Moon, Sitting on a fence, if you can’t rock me.. there are a lot more Stones songs that are great that get very little radio time.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

Child of the Moon, Sitting on a fence, if you can’t rock me.. there are a lot more Stones songs that are great that get very little radio time.

Name three and I will listen to them.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

One lasting tribute about the Stones is even their early stuff holds up well over time. Other than "I Saw Her Standing There" and maybe a few others which hold up, i mean can anyone listen to "She Loves You" or the complete "Sergeant Peppers" album without falling asleep?

Classic great early Stones songs such as Satisfaction, Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, etc, are songs that are timeless.

I'm not saying that overall, the Stones were better innovative songwriters than the Beatles. But it was close in many regards when everything is included, especially since their two styles were different as the Stones often focused on the blues.

For sustained listenability over time, the Stones have it in spades over the Beatles, in my opinion.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

One lasting tribute about the Stones is even their early stuff holds up well over time. Other than "I Saw Her Standing There" and maybe a few others which hold up, i mean can anyone listen to "She Loves You" or the complete "Sergeant Peppers" album without falling asleep?

Classic great early Stones songs such as Satisfaction, Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, etc, are songs that are timeless.

I'm not saying that overall, the Stones were better innovative songwriters than the Beatles. But it was close in many regards when everything is included, especially since their two styles were different as the Stones often focused on the blues.

For sustained listenability over time, the Stones have it in spades over the Beatles, in my opinion.

No it isn't close. It is not remotely close. Both groups were British based and that is the only similarity. I am a Beatles fan but not a worshipper of the group. Two Stones tunes in a row is a head splitter. Three and one will seek a 700 post who is the best third baseman thread as respite.

I could listen to this stuff for extended periods. Stones had no harmony, no melody and no instrumentalist that was really worth a damn.

https://youtu.be/28d_A_NuJ7A

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

No it isn't close. It is not remotely close. Both groups were British based and that is the only similarity. I am a Beatles fan but not a worshipper of the group. Two Stones tunes in a row is a head splitter. Three and one will seek a 700 post who is the best third baseman thread as respite.

I could listen to this stuff for extended periods. Stones had no harmony, no melody and no instrumentalist that was really worth a damn.

https://youtu.be/28d_A_NuJ7A

The Beatles got so bad at one point, that Lennon refused to participate in the recording sessions in any way, shape or form. Lennon called them "granny songs" and he was right.

Your last sentence clearly illustrates that you have no conception or understanding of the blues. And that's fine...to each his own when it comes to music.

Frankly, none of them can hold a candle to Beethoven, and they all would likely be the first to admit it. Beethoven's ninth is perhaps the greatest piece of music ever written.

• Options

And none could play the violin like Paganini. None could hit the high C's as Gigli could. Ringo was not half the drummer that Hal Blaine was. Lennon could have done way better than settling for Yoko.

What does any of that have to do with inept rolling Stones?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dayum this about to go full best third baseman

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:
    And none could play the violin like Paganini. None could hit the high C's as Gigli could. Ringo was not half the drummer that Hal Blaine was. Lennon could have done way better than settling for Yoko.

What does any of that have to do with inept rolling Stones?

"inept Rolling Stones" - that's funny. 🤣

• Options

If we were all in agreement, Itunes wouldn't have 40,000,000 titles.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Dayum this about to go full best third baseman

m

I always figured George Kell with the .306 average and ten all star appearances.

DA would have none of that.