Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know anything about this medal?

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Limited info on the google....

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 4:24PM

From the images it is made by Medallic Art Co. Here is a link to one I think is the same on eBay that sold for $50 or best offer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Medallic-Art-Co-Santa-Monica-Centennial-Medal-with-Original-Box-and-Stand/182611695917?hash=item2a8481592d:g:pNEAAOSwjRpZOLGA

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 4:29PM

This was designed by Lawrence Salk and modeled by William L. Gould

http://www.medalartists.com/gould-william-l.html

Here's some info on Medallic Art Company of NY. They are now a part of Northwest Territorial Mint and Medalcraft Mint. I'm guessing Medalcraft Mint is a brand under NWTM.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    From the images it is made by Medallic Art Co. Here is a link to one I think is the same on eBay that sold for $50 or best offer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Medallic-Art-Co-Santa-Monica-Centennial-Medal-with-Original-Box-and-Stand/182611695917?hash=item2a8481592d:g:pNEAAOSwjRpZOLGA

Yup, found that one, but its bronze. Was wondering about the silver mintage....

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting other site. Thx!

edited March 17, 2019 8:48PM

You may be able to find out more by contacting the modeler, William L. Gould. I found his contact info on his website:

http://www.gouldstudios.com/aboutus.html

Gould Studios
    1923 Otowi Road
    Santa Fe, NM 87505 USA
    760-468-5282
    info@gouldstudios.com

Here's a bit of info on him:

William L. Gould, Designer, Computer Artist

I was born in Montana, and grew up near the Flathead Indian Reservation. My parents were both professional artists, as were their friends and peers, and from them I learned to appreciate the Traditional Fine Arts. We moved to the Los Angeles area in the early 1950’s, where my mom established her studio and taught painting to over 100 students a week. I started making models and patterns for hobby manufacturers at age twelve, but my interests soon evolved into technical theatre and the movie industry, which path I followed until just after college. Having "burned out" from too many plays, I decided to return to modelmaking as a profession, and was employed by Hughes Aircraft Company, Advanced Development Division, as a modelmaker for programs including ANIK and INTELSAT communication satellites, the Falcon, Sidewinder and Phoenix missiles, and the TOW anti-tank weapon system, for which I received numerous commendations. Geri and I started Gould Studios in 1973, and have never looked back.

Bill’s Artist Statement

"I have always made things, which evolved into a lifelong career as a modelmaker and designer. I am also an artist. Both of my parents were artists, and I grew up in a community of great artists, so my goal is to help carry their traditions into the art of future generations. I also have a life-long passion for technology and the superb design and craftsmanship by those who have come before us. Unfortunately, so many important objects have been lost to time or neglect, or may exist only in inventor’s notebooks. I hope to help pass along this knowledge and wisdom to future generations.

As the great Industrial Designer Henry Dreyfuss once told me: "We must understand our past to better design our future"

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:

@thisistheshow said:

Yup, found that one, but its bronze. Was wondering about the silver mintage....

I did not notice, sorry. :(

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 4:36PM

The reverse statue looks like the "Grim Reaper" -- ghastly sculpting and die work.

PS: Your photos are great, but please crop out the background and repost them.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin! I like that familiar view of the PCH. So close to home. The area was also featured in an old Louis L’Amour novel.
    Another one for my wishlist.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 4:47PM

@RogerB said:
    The reverse statue looks like the "Grim Reaper" -- ghastly sculpting and die work.

I think it is supposed to be, “Santa Muerte.”

Edit to add. Oops, not Santa Muerte but, Saint Monica.

Saint Monica (c.331/2−387)[1] (AD 322–387)[2], also known as Monica of Hippo, was an early Christian saint and the mother of St. Augustine of Hippo. She is remembered and honored in most Christian denominations, albeit on different feast days, for her outstanding Christian virtues, particularly the suffering caused by her husband's adultery, and her prayerful life dedicated to the reformation of her son, who wrote extensively of her pious acts and life with her in his Confessions. Popular Christian legends recall Saint Monica weeping every night for her son Augustine.

From wiki.

edited March 17, 2019 4:42PM

Here's a close up of the statue "Santa Monica" by Eugene H. Monrahan. It was made in 1934.

edited March 17, 2019 8:45PM

Well --- Ole Aunt Monica and Art Deco don't seem to make a very good match. Looks more like a stiff in a coffin than anything religious. I wonder which Roman or Greek minor goddess she replaced, that being the only purpose of "saints."

;)

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger, for a guy who probably couldn't post a picture to save his life you sure can be critical of others. strangely, at the same time you seem very sensitive to any criticism directed at you about your insistence in hyping your books here. very strange indeed.

as to the medal, it looks to me like it is a striking issue, not uncommon with faces.

critical of the artist, actually.

edited March 18, 2019 6:49AM

Keets - Thank you for the personal comments. Of course, your Holiness is always right.
    :)

no, Roger, you aren't always right.

Thanks Keets! Your stable genius is noted.

(PS: Can you explain the contemporary meaning of the over-sized flag in your byline?)

that is the US Navy Jack dating the to around 1778-1780.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is going downhill fast. Look out below!

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file