Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auction Predictions - 93 Finest Promo Refractors #1 PSA Registry Set

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Finest-Promo-Refractor-Set-3-1-PSA-Registry-w-Nolan-Ryan-Mattingly/382826767938?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=de2dde97eb3d4773a61b052c6ece7e13&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=382826775370&itm=382826767938&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:f3aebe71-48d5-11e9-9bac-74dbd180f4a8|parentrq:8c978e601690a9c1643f469dfff77fa8|iid:1

What do you think this will finish at guys? It's got 50 watchers and 11hrs left. The promo refractors are REALLY rare/scarce. The normal are 241 print release per player. These were only for NR/DM/RA and each only had 50. Also higher grade PSA on these is rare.

I remember hearing that a PSA8 DM promo fractor got $2K like 7-8yrs ago and currently a BGS 7 of the Nolan got around $2K. The fact it is the highest ranked PSA set is rare as well.

Comments

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Is this your set??

• Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

@Francart said:
    Is this your set??

Yep! Original owner was selling via EBay last year and we did a direct sale off Ebay. Originally I bought the set for the Nolan.

But PSA refuses to recognize 93 Finest as a "Topps" product. So none of my Nolan finest variations could be put into my NR Topps master set. So decided to sell the set because I've got my eye on other cards.

• Options

Wow well I got absolutely murdered. The promo refractors are the most sought after by 93 Finest collectors and this was the #1 PSA registry rated set.

It went for a measely $3800 which shocked me. Especially since it had over 60 watchers! I was honestly expecting 2.5-3x that amount. I mean $3800 is what the Nolan or Mattingly alone should've gotten. Not all three!!!

The main thing that bugs me is that when I use Probstein or PWCC, I never shill bid my own stuff. I let the auctions run honestly and straight up. Yet you always see shill bidding at hand setting such high finishes. Whereas legit auctions that deserve high closings always under perform.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Are you saying consigners shill bid their own consignments?
    I would have used a major auction house catalog offering. Since this stuff is rare.
    I can’t fathom how many buyers will randomly see your finest set at any given week and realistically be a buyer. It’s not like Probstein advertises or previews upcoming auctions.

Especially rare stuff like this you can’t expect it to get exposure on random eBay auctions.
    I wish more guys would list their cards with BIN’s for awhile and advertise that it will be scheduled for auction in x amount of days.
    This is just my opinion.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options

The problem is I needed funds quick for a huge auction I was chasing. It ends the 24th. So using a major auction house or even PWCC woudnt have gotten me paid in time.

In the past I've actually done relatively well with Probstein and they seem to match PWCC pretty closely. So I wasn't expecting a highly anticipated rare set like that to fail so miserably.

But yep people that consign shill bid on their own stuff pretty regularly. People in FB groups brag about it. I'd personally never do it as I feel it is bad karma and dishonorable. But when something like this happens it stings a bit.

It's ironic that you often take the biggest losses on things you feel are sure things. LOL

• Options

Sorry you got in the sell stuff to buy stuff predicament. You know you could have contacted PWCC about upfront credit on your consignment. Also PWCC seems to have a bigger audience than Probstein. Never eBay stuff that isn’t traded in high volume. It’ll slip through the cracks.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The auction title was not very good and this should have been broken up, not sold as a set, imo. There is only one set on the registry from what I can see so I don't understand the benefit of selling it as a whole. Sorry the sale didn't work out for you. Really appears someone got a decent deal.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

I didn’t want to say anything negative about Probstein but I also had doubts after the fact consigning a high end Mantle to him years ago. In hindsight, no descriptions no details, just a random day of the week auction published. Sure he pays out quickly. Beyond that I’m not sure why I even chose that route for consignment.

• Options

Sorry I know these posts don’t help. I feel bad for you. I also left thousands on the table in my example stated above.

• Options

Yeah unfortunately the auction at REA ends the 24th. So with Heritage, PWCC, etc nothing would've gotten me paid in time. Even with a 50% advance from PWCC, it still wouldn't have been enough.

Thankfully someone bid past my max at REA and took me off the hook. I was bidding based on what I should've gotten. If my promo refractors and my 74 PSA10 Nolan Ryan stamp had sold at market, I would've had $12K+ to work with.

But under $4K for the promo fractors and only $810 for the stamp. The stamp really shocked me because it is pop 3 and huge for both the Topps master and general master NR sets. Luckily for me, I owned 2/3. So I was able to sell my duplicate. However, $810 is grand larceny. Thing is $2-3K easy.

• Options

Ah I feel your pain. This will give you time to refocus. Take your $4k into something cool. Lots of deals to be had.

• Options

@akuracy503 said:
    Ah I feel your pain. This will give you time to refocus. Take your $4k into something cool. Lots of deals to be had.

Once the 73 Nolan Ryan Comic PSA8 was out of reach, I was gonna take a run at this bad boy. Not anymore though. LOL

• Options

Wow that is a blazer. Be patient and something will work out

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rttrffg2012 said:
    Should have never been sent to Probstein.
    He is the worst

I stopped buying from him years ago. He doesn’t know anything about cards, even basic minimal care and proper packaging.

Also for this set it was a bad choice because he doesn’t advertise and has lost many of his high end customers.

I think you left $10k on the table had you went to heritage or even PWCC

He is the worst. Lost some of my items and told me to get lost when I complained. Biggest POS I have ever encountered.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    The auction title was not very good and this should have been broken up, not sold as a set, imo. There is only one set on the registry from what I can see so I don't understand the benefit of selling it as a whole. Sorry the sale didn't work out for you. Really appears someone got a decent deal.

Sometimes when things are "too rare" people give up on the idea of ever getting them and move on to other things.

Sorry you didn't get more for a great set.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@akuracy503 said:
    Wow that is a blazer. Be patient and something will work out

PSA10 pop is one.

So if I won I was gonna 10 review it at National. Oh well. They come and they go. LOL

• Options

I had no idea these were rare. Honestly, I haven't even thought about them in 20+ years. I have an Alomar somewhere in my collection. It's raw, and I was given it by a dealer that I worked for who received it from Topps when it was released.

How much would Alomar sell for, on average?

Thanks in advance for any information.