Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is your best (or most valuable) card show purchase ever that you had PSA grade?

smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

For me it was a 1955 Topps Koufax rookie card that I purchased at a NJ card show when I was a teenager back in the late 1970's. I sent it in for grading in 2008 and it came back an 8. I don't recall what I paid for it but I am guessing it was well under $100.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

I've Never sent anything in

• Options

Geez nothing???

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson at a Dallas show a few years ago. Got a PSA 7.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

Pulaski County Flea Market---- Dublin, VA. about 9-10 years ago. Purchased a 2001 Bowman Tom Brady and 1993 SP Derek Jeter for $75 from a fellow with a sign saying 50% off or best offer. Brady got a PSA 10 and Jeter a PSA 8.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paid $100.00 at a "National" 25 years or so ago.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Sweet looking Killer!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    Sweet looking Killer!

707 Sportscards, thanks Levi!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many to list but a few off the top of my head with their eventual grade:

'65 Killebrew - 8
    '66 Hunter - 8
    '67 Banks - 8
    '67 Gibson - 8
    '69 Reggie RC - 8
    '69 Ryan - 8
    '69 Clemente - 9
    '69 Mantle - 8

The first four above were bought at a flea market in 1981.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 10:29AM

Bought a 1951 Duke Snider at a hotel show for 150.00. Graded a PSA 8

• Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Bought a ron mix RC raw on ebay for $8.00 about 10 years ago....came a 9. Sold it for a great profit, but nothing like if I still had it today....

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

About 2001, I purchased a 1967 mcCovey for $40 and 1974 #1 Aaron for $60 from the same local dealer. Each came back PSA 9.
    Sold the MCCovey for $150. Unfortunately. Sold the Aaron for $150 also, immediately upon getting cards back from PSA

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never sent a card in to PSA

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

To this day I am not sure how my 63 Fleer Koufax PSA9 missed a 10.

Found a pic of one. The diamond yellow is less vibrant, centering is not quite as good, and mine is just sharper overall.

Am gonna review it. If it bumps it goes up 10-12x in value. :)

• Options

I was going to ask if you ever sent in for a review. You might want to try repeatedly if need be.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2019 7:47AM

This 1960 Parkhurst Maurice Richard card was purchased for $100 Canadian at the Toronto Hockey Card and Memorabilia Expo show in Toronto in the early nineties i did tell the dealer that i noticed one light touch,during the early nineties tons of hockey memorabilia resurfaced after being dormant for 100 years enter Wayne Gretzky when he went on t.v. and with tears rolling down his cheeks he announced the trade from Edmonton to L.A. this captured the hearts of Americans and in 1990 five traditional American cards manufactures took notice and they produced picture cards and the "Boom" was on,lastly during this period i purchased buckets full of cards and memorabilia i have 73 packing slips of Montreal Canadiens items.

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@electrode said:
    This 1960 Parkhurst Maurice Richard card was purchased for $100 Canadian at the Toronto Hockey Card and Memorabilia Expo show in Toronto in the early nineties i did tell the dealer that i noticed one light touch,during the early nineties tons of hockey memorabilia resurfaced after being dormant for 100 years enter Wayne Gretzky when he went on t.v. and with tears rolling down his cheeks he announced the trade from Edmonton to L.A. this captured the hearts of Americans and in 1990 five traditional American cards manufactures took notice and they produced picture cards and the "Boom" was on,lastly during this period i purchased buckets full of cards and memorabilia i have 73 packing slips of Montreal Canadiens items.

So, to answer the original question.....????

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just remembered that I had purchased two 1952 Berk Ross cards at a show for a total of $85: Stan Musial and Duke Snider. The Musial graded 7, and the Snider graded 8. I came out a bit on top on those.

I just wish one of them had been a Yogi Berra. 'Cuz then, I could make the same ol' Berra/Berk Ross joke.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Most valuable was a Seaver rookie purchased for $1700 in 1993 knowing it was the best I'd ever laid eyes on. Had it graded in about 1999, PSA 9.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I bought a raw 1977 Payton on ebay for $25. Came back a PSA 9, ~$350

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2019 7:43AM

@smallstocks said:
    I was going to ask if you ever sent in for a review. You might want to try repeatedly if need be.

This is how collectors get the shaft in the whole process. A big part of the problem is that by policy they will not look at that "10" or any other germane grades they gave in the past, when reviewing that superior 9 example shown above.

You will pay very good money to review the 9, then will be sent back to you with a post-it with an arrow pointing to a corner or some other minor flaw— and that flaw still will not be cause to hold the card back, going by the stated grade definitions on their site.

One has to wonder how much money in reviews, some at $250 a clip, a deserving card like that Koufax will generate over the years— because of the value increase in the sticker, the perceived risk for the outlay, and how tantalizing it seems because the card in question is so worthy. Multiply that by how many such cards must exist across the spectrum and the (non) review process is quite the revenue stream. Hence why I abstain from it nowadays.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

1986 Fleer Jordan RC PSA-9, paid $700 raw 20 years ago
    1980-81 Topps Bird/Magic RC PSA-9, paid $600
    1984 Donruss Joe Carter RC PSA-10, paid $20