Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage football and basketball: what are the key cards to look for? (Late 50’s and older)

I’m gonna go back to the antique store tomorrow I think, and take a look at the vintage FB and BB cards. The football starts from the 60’s, and the BB I believe also start in the 60’s, maybe 50’s. How much wear on a card do you accept before you pass on it?Most basketball cards start at 8$/ card. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Blaine

If they've been sitting around at the store?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a few phones shots and post them here.

This is where a price guide of some kind would help.

Consider under estimating the grade - e.g. if you think a card might be Ex - consider it Vg and value the card accordingly.

IMO, unless you plan to do a set? I'd focus mainly on star card - Mantles e.g. - even if Vg-Ex still have nice value - worth getting graded to keep or flip.

Can't give you more than that - I don't collect that kind of stuff and have never sold on eBay.

Best of luck buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Hiya Blaine

If they've been sitting around at the store?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a few phones shots and post them here.

This is where a price guide of some kind would help.

Consider under estimating the grade - e.g. if you think a card might be Ex - consider it Vg and value the card accordingly.

IMO, unless you plan to do a set? I'd focus mainly on star card - Mantles e.g. - even if Vg-Ex still have nice value - worth getting graded to keep or flip.

Can't give you more than that - I don't collect that kind of stuff and have never sold on eBay.

Best of luck buddy.

Thanks Mike! My main goal was basically just to find some cards in great condition on the cheap! I’ve had fairly decent success so I figured I’d keep an eye out for any stars that I might luck out on! Putting together some cards for submission soon!

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

How much wear on a card do you accept before you pass on it?

That question cant really be answered as a 1 size fits all. For commons and non scarce (variations/hi numbers/errors etc) cards, you dont want much at all, if you are planning on grading. However, if you are talking about Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Koufax etc then some wear is acceptable providing you are paying a fair price. As Stone193 said, safer to assume the card will grade lower than what it appears to the eye. And if you are new to this, i'd recommend a 10x loupe to really examine the card for corner wear and surface wrinkles. Otherwise your cards may grade 2 to 3 grades lower than what they first appear to you.

Good luck