Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Nolan Ryan PSA10 Grade Bump!

rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just wanted to put a feeler out to see if anyone is the owner of this new 72 PSA10

https://www.psacard.com/cert/41378926/

**Buyer took a CRAZY risk paying 2x market @ $1800 for it as a PSA9 and managed to get a 10 bump on a grade review. The three Nolan 10's I'm ISO are 72/74/76. So if the buyer reads this PM me. The card isn't attached to a registry so guessing it'll be for sale.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is quite a bump! Very astute buyer as that cards sure looks like a 10. Surprised triplessinc didnt try and review it themselves at least once as it was just recently graded, also.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Wow, that is quite a bump! Very astute buyer as that cards sure looks like a 10. Surprised triplessinc didnt try and review it themselves at least once as it was just recently graded, also.

I agree and was thinking the same thing! He should've tried himself.

But I do like that it was a freshly graded 9 that bumped because running theory is newer labels won't bump under review.

Funny though. A buddy happened to send me the EBay link last night from when it used to be a 9. One because someone paid $1800 and two because he knows how bad I want a 72/10. It just happened to be the one that bumped the pop report up and I had been wanting to know which one did it. Funny how fate works.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when a card gets a bump on review it keeps the same cert number? I never knew that. It makes perfect sense but for some reason I just assumed a new cert would be created.

Good luck, hunting!

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    So when a card gets a bump on review it keeps the same cert number? I never knew that. It makes perfect sense but for some reason I just assumed a new cert would be created.

Good luck, hunting!

Arthur

It's probably the only way to keep the pop report accurate. Easier to update a cert to a new grade.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    muhaha.

You wouldn't happen to know any Ryan collectors, would you? :D

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Good luck, hunting!

Arthur

Forgive my ignorance since I don't submit, but does the PSA 9 pop report then get reduced by 1? Is there a way to see all the cert numbers for cards that were bumped from 9 to 10?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2019 2:12PM

@Sdub said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Good luck, hunting!

Arthur

Forgive my ignorance since I don't submit, but does the PSA 9 pop report then get reduced by 1? Is there a way to see all the cert numbers for cards that were bumped from 9 to 10?

If a card bumps on review, the cert # remains the same and the pop report is changed to reflect removal of previous grade and addition of the new grade. The newly graded card is just like any other with no record of the previous grade.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Wow, he turned an $1800 card into a $12k card. Nice work!

• Options

@45isodd said:
    Wow, he turned an $1800 card into a $12k card. Nice work!

Huge gamble he took paying 2x a PSA9 value tongrade review. But it paid off! I'm gonna keep an eye out for it at National since it isn't attached to a registry.

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

It was a calculated risk. That card is so nice, that even if it stayed in a 9 holder, it would be considered high end, and would sell for at least 50% more than a typical 9.

• Options

@45isodd said:
    It was a calculated risk. That card is so nice, that even if it stayed in a 9 holder, it would be considered high end, and would sell for at least 50% more than a typical 9.

My 72/9 is super high end as you can see dead center with no tilt at all like 95% seem to have. Even the 9 that bumped had a slight tilt. But I still wouldn't feel right asking $1800. Maybe $1000-1200. But $1800 is a lot over market!

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

rdeffley, I like the top-bottom centering better on yours than the one that got a bump...hard to measure the bottom frame with the amount of card under the lip, on the bumped card, but I would be surprised if it was 60-40....as beautiful as the card is, the initial grade pf PSA 9 was probably appropriate.

• Options

@Kep13 said:
    rdeffley, I like the top-bottom centering better on yours than the one that got a bump...hard to measure the bottom frame with the amount of card under the lip, on the bumped card, but I would be surprised if it was 60-40....as beautiful as the card is, the initial grade pf PSA 9 was probably appropriate.

To be honest I am kinda shocked it bumped too. I mean it is still a really nice 9. But it has slight tilt to the left and the top to bottom as well. It may be stupid to try and grade review bump my 72 at National after they just bumped one.

But what the hell? I am trying my 69, 72, and 85 mini. I also have a 74 SGC10 as well that is pop 1. I've been told by the previous owner who consigned it on Probstein he tried to cross it 3x with fail. But once more won't hurt. :)

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@Sdub said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Good luck, hunting!

Arthur

If a card bumps on review, the cert # remains the same and the pop report is changed to reflect removal of previous grade and addition of the new grade. The newly graded card is just like any other with no record of the previous grade.

Thanks Tim.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.