Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS offer single-side or vertical TrueViews?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 15, 2019 9:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just noticed that PCGS publishes single side TrueViews on Instagram for select coins:

https://www.instagram.com/pcgscoin/

Given the world has gone mobile, do you think it would be nice for PCGS to offer the single side photos for all coins? Or even a vertical layout?

Here's a double-struck pattern, Judd-517, that I thought was neat. Love the reverse on this one.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 9:45PM

@Zoins

Single sided is offered.

Example below and select max obverse or reverse.

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/29402446

But, do not see an option for vertical. That would be cool to have without needing to edit pics.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 10:06PM

@Hemispherical said:
    @Zoins

Single sided is offered.

Example below and select max obverse or reverse.

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/29402446

But, do not see an option for vertical. That would be cool to have without needing to edit pics.

Good to know. I noticed the single side versions there don't have the PCGS TrueView logo which I thought was a nice touch on the Instagram photos.

Agree on a vertical option.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, I can easily turn my phone sideways to make the regular horizontal layout fill the screen.

:+1:

edited March 15, 2019 10:00PM

@illini420 said:
    Nah, I can easily turn my phone sideways to make the regular horizontal layout fill the screen.

It is kind of nice to see them vertical on a regular computer though as the photos are much larger than side-by-side.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@illini420 said:

It is kind of nice to see them vertical on a regular computer though as the photos are much larger than side-by-side.

For me, it makes it so large on the screen that I can't even see the entire coin without scrolling a bit. That is not acceptable to me unless I want to zoom in and try to see some minor variety or something. The vertical pics posted above are just way too big for the computer screen if I'm just scrolling through wanting to look at lots of coins.

I still like the traditional horizontal layout as I can see the full coin, and both sides of that coin at the same time w/o scrolling and I know I can get a larger version if I need that for some reason.

edited March 15, 2019 11:17PM

To make the image smaller, you can resize your browser window and make it narrower than your screen.

For me, it's great to see the enlarged photos because I can really enjoy the details of the coin more.

Also, the idea isn't to take away the current side-by-side image, but to offer an additional vertical image. To provide more choice so to speak.

I've noticed a number of forum members doing this already including @coinsarefun and @jtlee321. This would just be a way for TrueView to offer the same thing.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, all the recent threads about requests for PCGS to do different things are OK in principal. the sticking point is obvious to me --- nothing is free, there is some type of cost to everything. PCGS could probably accommodate any number of requests except that I don't feel like picking up an increase in grading fees to make a small number of members happy

I suggest that these picture alternatives might be best done by the individual member(s) who want them. take some courses at the local community college, buy some equipment and have at it. ask the members who you see doing this how to do it or let them do it for you. maybe you can get it done for free. ask Bluevette to help, maybe he'll start taking pictures for you --- for free.

but please don't ask PCGS to institute a narrowly construed change that will end up costing me money. I would rather choose how to spend what I earn.

rant over.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about adding an accurate edge image for all coins that have lettering or ornamentation on the edge?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    How about adding an accurate edge image for all coins that have lettering or ornamentation on the edge?

That is a good idea!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file