RUSH

Who comes in second ?

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bee Gee's much better!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're only counting 3 member bands, I'm not at all a Rush fan, but I'd include them in the number one seeds, along with Nirvana, Cream, and Emerson Lake and Palmer. ZZ Top, Green Day, and Jimi Hendrix Experience are at worst 2 seeds. I don't know who you'd put in the 8th slot for the last #2 seed. The Police?...Do Genesis or Pink Floyd qualify, as they had more than the main 3 at various times?

Does a trio of Mick, Keith, and Charlie count, just because of longevity together (est. 1962)? If they're in, they drag the rest of the team with them and go on a run in the tournament and take the title.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rush had one good song. Cream had over a dozen.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rolling Stones, Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Motörhead is up there

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kingston Trio?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 7:33PM

Led Zeppelin. Not a trio, but greatest rock band of all time!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rock, paper, scissors?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brick said:
    Kingston Trio?

I still remember "Ballad of the Thresher" from my youth.

Cream had three of the greatest musicians of all time. Clapton is always rated as one of the best and Bruce and Baker were considered among the best of their time.

Rush has more than one good song I would say.

Nirvana a bit over rated. "Nevermind" was a great album.

I would say Z Z Top is the longest lasting with the most hits. They would get my vote.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Rush had more than just 'Red Barchetta' which is of course a classic.

• Options

Cream and ZZ Top get my vote

• Options

Jimi Hendrix Experience

• Options

@HJP717 said:
    Led Zeppelin. Not a trio, but greatest rock band of all time!

Now they sort of are. :/

• Options

The Police and Rush get my vote.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 10:35PM

Rush was my jam as a kid. They immediately came to mind. Many many hits and once you’ve seen them live you’re sold. But yes Nirvana by a long shot.

It’ the first time I’ve ever heard Bee Gee’s and Rock in the same sentence. Leave it to the Dimester

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

Speaking of..... Eric Clapton is the only person to be elected to the Rock And Roll HOF three times. Cream, Yardbirds and solo. We go to the inductee ceromonies every year since they moved it to Brooklyn

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2019 10:38PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Rush was my jam as a kid. They immediately came to mind. Many many hits and once you’ve seen them live you’re sold. But yes Nirvana by a long shot.

It’ the first time I’ve ever heard Bee Gee’s and Rock in the same sentence. Leave it to the Dimester

m

Let the Bee Gees in and you have to let the Limelighters in.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

can I include Mike Schmidt? He was as good as three players all by himself.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, come on, the answer is obviously Hanson.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

mmmm bop.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Elvis Scotty and Bill...Sun sessions
    Jerry Lee Lewis... The significant Sun sessions were trios if I recall correctly
    Chuck Berry combo... Early Chess sessions
    Crickets
    Gene Vincent and Little Richard I don't recall recorded as a just a trio... At least with respect to the Capitol and Specialty sessions.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crickets had four and sometimes more at certain recording sessions so they are out

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Tony Orlando and the Pips.

• Options

Actually, this is inaccurate. Neil Young has been inducted three times. Once for his solo work, once for CSNY and once for Buffalo Springfield.

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

Speaking of..... Eric Clapton is the only person to be elected to the Rock And Roll HOF three times. Cream, Yardbirds and solo. We go to the inductee ceromonies every year since they moved it to Brooklyn

m

• Options
    edited March 16, 2019 11:38PM

@88horsepower said:
    Actually, this is inaccurate. Neil Young has been inducted three times. Once for his solo work, once for CSNY and once for Buffalo Springfield.

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

m

He wasn’t elected into the Hall with Crosby, Stills and Nash.

So he was elected twice. You can fax me an apology.

m

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I think this trio was pretty notable:

Brett's fielding percentage in 1976-1978 ALCS:

1976 .769
    1977 .895
    1978 .917

• Options
    edited March 17, 2019 1:14PM

@1970s said:

@Skin2 said:

I think this trio was pretty notable:

Brett's fielding percentage in 1976-1978 ALCS:

1976 .769
    1977 .895
    1978 .917

What's also notable is that the girls tell me that you're so fat that you have more chins than
    a Chinese phone book. This explains all your pent up frustration that you like to exert on
    this forum. We understand. Exert away !!!

Good try. A solid 210 pounds. No belly like you, which is probably why you could not pick up a ground ball either like your hero George Brett in the playoffs, lol

• Options

@1970s said:

@Skin2 said:

Good try. A solid 210 pounds.

That's it skin infection. Keep exerting that fantasy life of yours that doesn't exist.

Exert away fat man.

Good try. A solid 210 pounds. No belly like you, which is probably why you could not pick up a ground ball either like your hero George Brett in the playoffs, lol

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

m

I've never heard of Rush. The Bee Gee's have sold more records that Rush & Nirvana combined. They are only behind Elvis the Beatles and a couple others not mentioned here.

I thought we were talking good rock n roll bands......not just noise. Another great band not mentioned here are the Eagles.

I'm pretty sure the Eagles have sold more records that all of the bands mentioned here,

Another great band not mentioned here was the Beach Boys.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2019 3:38PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

I've never heard of Rush. The Bee Gee's have sold more records that Rush & Nirvana combined. They are only behind Elvis the Beatles and a couple others not mentioned here.

I thought we were talking good rock n roll bands......not just noise. Another great band not mentioned here are the Eagles.

I'm pretty sure the Eagles have sold more records that all of the bands mentioned here,

We cant be penalized that you never heard of Rush. Also, we are taking about trios so The Beach Boys and the Eagles don’t count

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

We cant be penalized that you never heard of Rush. Also, we are taking about trios so The Beach Boys and the Eagles don’t count

m

Don't you mean "we are" talking trios?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

The title of the thread. Best Rock Trio Ever so there is that.

m

• Options

Big Bee Gee's fan, but the pre disco stuff. They were no more rockers than Peter Paul and Mary.

But when one considers the non rock names in the Rock HOF, I guess everyone fits.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

m

Most bands have more than 3....even if the 3 are the main ones. It looked to me it had turned into who is the best period. Record sales would set that straight. Unless it just turned into "favorite" band. Then it could be anybody's guess.

Another great band was ABBA......but that was 4 as well.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

m

Most bands have more than 3....even if the 3 are the main ones. It looked to me it had turned into who is the best period. Record sales would set that straight. Unless it just turned into "favorite" band. Then it could be anybody's guess.

Sales would set nothing straight. Was Madonna a better singer than Marilyn McCoo?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Big Bee Gee's fan, but the pre disco stuff. They were no more rockers than Peter Paul and Mary.

But when one considers the non rock names in the Rock HOF, I guess everyone fits.

They were pop artists with broad appeal. That sells records and......disco. I just have an impossible time calling them a rock band when they were just a harmonizing melody trio. Not one member was musically talented. Singing that’s another matter

m

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

m

m

Sales would set nothing straight. Was Madonna a better singer than Marilyn McCoo?

Depends on how you look at it. Number of people buying records would be a huge factor who is best.

There are so many great bands and singers it would be impossible for me to pick one as all time favorite.

The Eagles were great and Hotel California is one of my favorites. There are great bands that still haven't been mentioned yet. Like the Grateful Dead and Credence Clearwater.

• Options

By the mid 70's one was required to swear allegiance to either Rock or Disco. I was listening to 1950's jazz by then so the debate was not important.

This event though was memorable and ties us back into the sports forum.

--Disco Demolition Night was an ill-fated baseball promotion on July 12, 1979 at Comiskey Park in Chicago, Illinois. At the climax of the event, a crate filled with disco records was blown up on the field between games of the twi-night doubleheader between the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers. Many of those in attendance had come to see the explosion rather than the games and rushed onto the field after the detonation. The playing field was so damaged by the explosion and by the fans that the White Sox were required to forfeit the second game to the Tigers.

In the late 1970s, dance-oriented disco music was popular in the United States, particularly after being featured in hit films such as Saturday Night Fever (1977). Disco sparked a backlash from rock music fans. This opposition was prominent enough that the White Sox, seeking to fill seats at Comiskey Park during a lackluster season, engaged Chicago shock jock and anti-disco campaigner Steve Dahl for the promotion at the July 12 doubleheader. Dahl's sponsoring radio station was 97.9 WLUP, so attendees would pay 98 cents and bring a disco record; between games, Dahl would destroy the collected vinyl in an explosion.

White Sox officials had hoped for a crowd of 20,000, about 5,000 more than usual. Instead, at least 50,000—including tens of thousands of Dahl's adherents—packed the stadium, and thousands more continued to sneak in after gates were closed. Many of the records were not collected by staff and were thrown like flying discs from the stands. After Dahl blew up the collected records, thousands of fans stormed the field and remained there until dispersed by riot police.

The second game was initially postponed, but forfeited by the White Sox the next day by order of American League president Lee MacPhail. Disco Demolition Night preceded, and may have helped precipitate, the decline of disco in late 1979; some scholars and disco artists have described the event as expressive of racism and homophobia. Disco Demolition Night remains well known as one of the most extreme promotions in major league history.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might be obscure to many of you, but how about some original 3 piece Modest Mousehttps://youtu.be/TdBmQIFSGiM

• Options

Modest Mouse rules

m

• Options

I'm learning new bands in this thread! B)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 6:45PM

@Justacommeman said:
    Modest Mouse rules

m

Yes they do. Been a fan since the 90s. I'm a big fan.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago my crew was listening to the radio as we worked. I said "How about some RUSH?" They said "Yeal Boss, you're ok." I switched the station to Rush. For some reason they appeared to be a bit pissed.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Many years ago my crew was listening to the radio as we worked. I said "How about some RUSH?" They said "Yeal Boss, you're ok." I switched the station to Rush. For some reason they appeared to be a bit pissed.

Were you planning a bank heist?

m

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

He wasn’t elected into the Hall with Crosby, Stills and Nash.
    So he was elected twice. You can fax me an apology

Mark wins this from a technical standpoint, it is a strange point, though.
    --- both men were with their respective bands for only a brief time, Clapton for about a year-and-a-half and Young for about a year.
    --- the Yardbirds made most of their best recordings after Clapton left, CSNY while Young was with them.
    --- studio albums: Yardbirds and Clapton, one-and-a-half, Young and CSNY, one.
    --- both men left the respective bands over creative differences.
    --- both were much more successful as solo musicians although Young tended to have a longer association with the same "Crazy Horse Band" members.
    --- it is peculiar that Clapton got in with the Yardbirds who had such a short lifespan while Young didn't make it with CSN who have continued for all these years.

I have seen Neil Young twice and don't think he gets the recognition due him for his guitar work. I would rank him in the Top Five/Ten of all I have seen. I have never seen Clapton and don't feel compelled to, his style of electric play overall isn't what hits me where it counts. he has made some fabulous music, I love the song SWLABR(She Was Like A Bearded Rainbow) and other songs from that Cream era, but not enough to sit through an entire show.

I remember once when a friend had seen Clapton, maybe the early 80's, and he said all he did was stand there and play guitar. I was shocked!!! I reminded the guy that EC, wrote the songs, sang, played guitar, recorded and arranged everything. he didn't seem to get it, he was more concerned with a stage "show" than the actual music. Clapton's genius was lost on him.

of the other two Yardbird's guitarists of note, I have seen both. Led Zeppelin back in 1975 with Page at his peak, it's hard to describe how he played. the standout songs for him were "Stairway to Heaven" and "BlackDog" but the song that defined the show for me was an eerie rendition of "No Quarter" played with the group in fog up to their waists and the most perfect lighting. I had a chance to see Jeff Beck about five years ago in Pittsburgh and the quality of his work was impeccable and almost effortless. it was in a smaller hall of about 1,500 and his version of "Led Boots" is what brought it home for me. after the show we wandered up to the stage as the roadies cam out and if my arms would have been about a foot longer I could have gotten Beck's setlist.

although I'm older I still manage to get out to about 4-5 shows a year. on April 25 we'll be a t the "Beachland Ballroom" in Cleveland for Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, about a 200-400 seat venue. BA actually did some work on the Yardbirds first offerings.