Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Impulse Purchases. 1st newp in over 20 years

Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was once obsessed with baseball cards, in the early 1990s. I also dabbled in football cards and comic book trading cards.
I still have many many boxes of the cards stored in another state. I gave up on cards years ago, but I still think they are neat.

I made my first purchase in over two decades today. I was hunting around for graded Mike Schmidt cards or Phillies cards and I found a really old 1954 for dirt cheap (not Mike or Phillies)
I never had a card so old, so it is a novelty to me

I actively collect Jefferson Nickels and participate in the PCGS registry in several categories.
Here are some graded cards that were a gift from the local coin shop. This makes up ALL of my graded cards

Comments

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 1:02PM

Welcome back to the hobby and to graded cards. Sorry to inform you, there is no known cure for GCF (graded card fever). You're going to carry it with you forever and ever and ever😊

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 1:11PM

Hiya Aspie

What's your first name?

Welcome back after a few decades! IMO, the more things change? The more they stay the same.

Do you have any plans going forward?

This is a good place to hang your hat and get advice.

I've learned very little over the years but one thing I can say for sure:

1. Establish a very narrow Focus (keep ya from tryin' to corner the market on just about everything)

2. Establish a Budget (this will keep ya from wakin' up at all hours screaming into the night )

3. NEVER break rule 1 or 2!

Don't be a stranger.

I never had a card so old, so it is a novelty to me

Nice card but boy do I - now - feel old.

Mike
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 1:25PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

I never had a card so old, so it is a novelty to me !

I actively collect Jefferson Nickels and participate in the PCGS registry in several categories.
    Here are some graded cards that were a gift from the local coin shop. This makes up ALL of my graded cards

Thanks for sharing these pics. Some nice cards you have there. It's always cool to see card posts from the coin guys.

Jefferson nickels are great coins to collect in my opinion. I finished my (ungraded) set a couple years ago with the key date '50-D.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Welcome back to the hobby. :)

Collecting cards is like being in the mafia.

Just when you think you're out, they pull you right back in!

• Options

@Stone193
    First name is John Rocco, but most folks call me Rocco. Lol, I usually do not have focus problems, except too narrow a focus (an aspie thing)

Going forward if I get any more graded cards it would be inexpensive Phillies, or big names from my childhood in the 80s to early 90s. Probably just Phillies.

Born in Philadelphia, I have practically zero sports intrest, but like the Phillies and Eagles. I also liked the Braves, Athletics? and cowboys.

Sorry to make you feel old, ;) I am almost 40 and feel about 17 (except after a hard days work)

@waxman2745
    I Love the nickels, my Variety set is #3. The 1950 D was probably the coin that caused my circulated set to become two, then lead to uncirculated sets and eventually graded coins.

Thanks for the welcome @PopeyesSpinach @CW and everyone

@CW , liked the Pacino quote, I could almost hear it :)

• Options

First name is John Rocco, but most folks call me Rocco

Rocco it is buddy.

I just saw another thread you started - I don't think you mentioned anything about coins before? My apology if I missed that.

Have you been collecting coins during your hiatus from cards?

Mike
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2019 9:38PM

Yes, my focus is on rare die Variety coins, specifically Jefferson Nickels. I have several Pcgs registry sets of nickels and other sets with one of each type examples for all other common denominations.
    I became more active collecting coins around 2009, and started competing in the registry in 2016.
    15 Coins left to complete my set of every Jefferson and every die Variety. Projected completion date 2030.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2019 9:40PM

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    First name is John Rocco, but most folks call me Rocco.

I have a cousin name John Rocco...weird

• Options

Are you in Pennsylvania? The cowboys used to come to Oxnard,Ca for some training. It is the next city over from me.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Are you in Pennsylvania? The cowboys used to come to Oxnard,Ca for some training. It is the next city over from me.

Nope. Florida but originally from NY. My cousin lives in Bethpage

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I can highly recommend putting '73 Schmidt on your want list

• Options
    edited March 15, 2019 4:34PM
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow Aspie_Rocco, walk down memory lane. I used to collect during mid to late '80's-early '90's too, had most all of those at one time. Often contemplated getting back into collecting cards someday- focus on 50's - mid '80's. Just can't justify splitting up the resources from coins; at least now. ;)

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    Wow Aspie_Rocco, walk down memory lane. I used to collect during mid to late '80's-early '90's too, had most all of those at one time. Often contemplated getting back into collecting cards someday- focus on 50's - mid '80's. Just can't justify splitting up the resources from coins; at least now. ;)

I know what you mean. I do not plan to get all in but just wanted to see some familiar cars of the era. It is shocking how inexpensive most of the pack and cards are now, I got all those eBay cards for about $6 not including shipping. If only our old coins were as easy.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

That ‘52 Jefferson is sweet! Congratulations on your sets.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2019 11:56AM

Doh!
    I have since ordered two lots of Schmidt cards and the second to arrive has me very excited. The packaging was exceptional, all cards protected in individual sleeves, and taped in a protective cardboard shell. Very pleased with the service provided by gbel79 on eBay.

The other group I ordered, from a different seller, while nice with fast shipping, arrived “loose” and a few were bent :( but I acquired these as a nostalgic novelty instead of collectors cards. It is still fun to have a nice pile of Philly / Schmidt cards, and a more comprehensive player set than I had as a kid.

• Options
    edited March 21, 2019 9:46PM

Looks like you've honed in on Schmidt, Rocco?

Good choice!

My favorite signed item of Mike:

Mike
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2019 9:52PM

@Stone193
    Wow nice. Yes Schmidt was always a favorite of mine and my Dads.
    I like the Phillies, or the idea of the team anyway. Have not seen a game in about 14 years.
    Scooped up a $9.99 box tonight, oops. Nothing much special, a few odd cards not like the rest. I was excited to open a few packs but they were all in one shrink wrapped clear pack
    One has a gold stamp