Home Q & A Forum
Options

Need an opinion

Hello guys, new here and I am a pcgs member, but I recently bought an 1853 no arrows seated liberty coin,, very rare coin with no mint history,, the issue is that this coin looks legit,,, there are no arrows by the date,, buuuut the issue is the back,, there are Rays on this coin, and I've looked at 100s that do not have Rays and I have not found one that does have them, the community's 2 cents would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @SilverEagle420 to the forums!

I was going to say to also post in the US Coin forum, but I see you already did.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins with the rays were made with arrows. There is uneven wear by the date so look for an uneven surface where the arrows were. There is a slim to none chance that you have a unique coin but it is hard to tell with just an image. Why not do some research for yourself. It will be fun. Look on the internet for an 1853 no arrows/rays quarter and check where the point of the shield lines up with the "1."

• Options
    SilverEagle420SilverEagle420 Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have actually been doin research all day and I've looked at this coming for hours and I do not see any indication of metal being shaved off and if it was I believe it was done some many years ago to be toned over it,, I was wondering if maybe they mixed dies and I got an 1854 back with the 1853 no arrow front, but like u said thatd be a unique coin, I want to send for grading but wanted some opinions before I spent the money

• Options

Also every one with arrows I've seen with the date almost gone still has indications of the arrows being there, this one keeps tugging at me lol

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

I had a similar one a while back. It had to be tilted just right under bright light to see where the arrows outline used to be.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the left of the 1 in the date, near the rim, there seems to be a depression and the denticles are gone.

Plus, as noted, unusual heavy wear below the date and to the right of it.

• Options

Jbk- I didnt notice that depression until you mentioned it,, I have a high end loupe coming in tomoro and will try to get better pics